Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 05:19 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times

Advertisements

This is a "just curious" question.

We are in the process of having our retirement home designed and built, and I am noticing that the current trends are, imo, ultra modern -- meaning sleek almost to the point of sterility, almost no clutter, and usually just two or three colors -- whereas we prefer a warmer and more comfortable look, which I guess is now completely out of date.

So, again, just out of curiosity, what is the look of your home now, and do you intend on keeping it or changing it in the years ahead? And if you do think that you will change it, what do you envision?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 05:35 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
Our style is "rustic cabin in the woods", which suits our personalities...we're both nature lovers, neither of us are style conscious, and we don't care about updating to keep up with current trends. We have no intention of trying to please anyone other than ourselves, so if we built again, we would likely stay rustic.

Since you intend to retire there, I think making it your own style is important, since you won't be worrying about resell value after you're, well, no longer retired.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:56 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
100% antique furniture....no reason/desire to change.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 06-04-2019, 06:20 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
It’s new and modern, I prefer less cluster, it’s my personality.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:31 PM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
Ours is comfy rather than sleek. We have sort of an old-world carribean/beachy feel. A number of maps, orchids, and stained glass. Lots of artwork, lots of oriental rugs (including some from when we were in Azerbaijan). Big sofas that are comfortable enough to sleep on, which is handy since we have guests quite a bit. Pieces of my great grandma's silver all over the house, most of which is being used in ways great grandma would not have expected. But I love these pieces and feel that silver is meant to be used, not hidden away in a closet. An oak entertainment center that has been converted into a huge wine storage unit. Bit ceiling fans on every room, all carved like palm leaves or otherwise "tropical". Not quite sure what you'd call this style, but it all works together.

Are we keeping this style? Hell yeah, it's who we are! This has been our style for 40-50 years, and downsizing hasn't changed that.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 06-04-2019 at 06:50 PM..

Old 06-04-2019, 06:40 PM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times
One floor.
doors wide enough for wheelchair if ever needed.
Bathrooms big enough for a wheelchair.
Safety bars in bathroom
Mostly wood or title floors with some area rugs
Make the garage as big as possible for storage.
17 different paint colors.
High ceilings
Ceiling lights More better than fewer.
Ceiling light with all fans incase you need some extra light. Fans can be controlled by remote (probably better for some rooms but not all) or wall switches
Regular and walk in tub
regular and walk in shower
Figure out what you will want to do in each room
Built in items and big pantry
pull out slides for pots and pans in cabinets
Several outside electrical outlets and hose connections.
Reflective lining in roof for radiant heat.
circulating hot water pump on timer
WiFi thermostat.
combination/key locks on front door - not wifi enabled. Good for emergency entry as you can give 911 the combination.
I would go toward open rooms from main living area
dehumidifier in the South
Walk in closets
High toilets
High bathroom counter tops
No sealing "grant" counter tops
Make sure elevation of home lets water drain away from home and you are high enough not to flood
Consider slop of driveway. I like a little slop not enough that you have to use your parking break when you park a car. If you will park cars in the drive way may want to make the driveway a little wider than the garage opening. Pavers look better than concrete.
Probably no gutters - they need cleaning
Wiring for TV cable and internet
Consider location of inside electrical outlets
Outside sprinkler system if needed.
Grass that does not need cutting.
Go with the look you like as whatever you think is popular now may not be when you sell.
As you know this is a short list. I would put all items on a spread sheet then decide which you think are important. i.e microwave over stove burners or built in the wall. Oven at floor level or a couple of feet high. And it goes on and on but best to do what you are doing before building.

Last edited by rjm1cc; 06-04-2019 at 07:06 PM..

Old 06-04-2019, 06:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Vista...Vaulted ceilings with large windows. 'Lodge-like'.
Restful / inviting place to retreat to.
Stone (inside and out), Woodwork, Custom design to optimize setting for our panoramic view.
Cozy with wood heat fireplace and antiques (from pioneer prairie homestead grandparents). Great memories to enjoy.
Minimal clutter / accessories... 'Shaker style' since we built most of our furniture.

Just returned from a 6 national parks tour, nice to be home and even more appreciate being in a 'Lodge-like' abode.

Often stay with retirees in 'Del Webb' style homes. Higher ceilings (single level) lots of light, often nice views.
but... too sterile for me. (sheetrock is too plain / cold)

I like 'natural surfaces' on walls and trim and ceilings. (I prefer wood floors to 'fired tile', though have some slate floors (non-glazed).

My next home will be 'rammed-earth' (sandpainting-like)
http://www.rammedearthconstructions....ed-earth-info/
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8

All are handicap accessible and all services on one floor, (tho some of our homes have 2+ floors)
separate space for future Caregiver, wayward kids, parents, grandkids, tenants, guests...

Build often, tough to get correct the first time (or second or third...)
Take the $500k tax free gains every 24 months.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:47 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,516,469 times
We planned ahead and being a retirement home, our last, no clutter, comfortable, single floor and walk in showers. We figured if we became immobile in some way, we wouldn't have a major renovation project to deal with.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Late 80s 2 story ranch, according to my research. I never thought about it before. We have been here 25 years, but no longer need 3,000 sf, so when we retire in 2-3 years we will buy a plain older 1 story ranch in a less expensive area for cash with our equity (paid $190k, now worth $885k). Our retirement house has to be good for old knees and hips as we get intonations our 70s, and we want more land than rooms so I can build a 4 car garage, and have an excuse for a tractor.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:48 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
New modern ranch designed to be low maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement