U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 04:27 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,482,290 times

Advertisements

I stayed with my folks outside Boston which is where I am from for a year when they were ill. I didn't expect both of them to die within the year, but that is how it went. I think I thought of retiring there in the small town I grew up in during that year, but quite frankly I new I was priced out. I think some could go home again but I think a larger number probably would find they could not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 06:58 AM

1,861 posts, read 3,024,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I stayed with my folks outside Boston which is where I am from for a year when they were ill. I didn't expect both of them to die within the year, but that is how it went. I think I thought of retiring there in the small town I grew up in during that year, but quite frankly I new I was priced out. I think some could go home again but I think a larger number probably would find they could not.
I live in Salem, outside Boston, but grew up in NY State in a really small town of 1200, which I mentioned before. Fortunately, I bought a condo in Salem years ago, so I wasn't priced out like I would be now.

And, I would not be priced out in upstate NY, unless suddenly, everyone decides to go there because it's cheap! I checked out that website where you can compare places to live, and how much you'd need in another place. Between the Boston area and upstate NY, I'd only need half my salary up there. Housing is 50% cheaper!

When I moved here 29 years ago, I didn't realize how much more expensive it was than other places, but I learned quickly. Rents were twice as much as Syracuse, but salaries were not!

If money is a factor, some will have no choice but to move back to their small towns, or other small towns. Sometimes, I think it would be nice. I can't tell what will happen in the next 10 years or so that I'm still working, but I might end up "home" eventually. My parents came from the Catskills originally, way out in the country, and I sometimes think of going there, although that has become expensive because of NYC people buying second homes.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:21 AM

365 posts, read 1,130,394 times
Those small rural towns are really affordable for retirees. DH and I could buy a house for cash, and the property taxes aren't all that bad, either, at least, not in my hometown. Of course, there are no jobs without long commutes. I guess I just can't shake the voice in my head saying, "The whole time you lived there, you wanted out. Now you want to go back? Are you nuts?"

Yesterday I had a long talk with a good friend of mine who did move back to that area after she retired; she left when she was 19 and lived in NYC and Boston for 40 years. She says it's all about your attitude: Accept it for what it is. Feel good about yourself. You've grown up. They've grown up. It's not high school all over again. (JanB, you were right on with your comments about this, too.)

Another consideration: Someone suggested moving to a town nearby. Great idea, too. Unfortunately, for years we were decided on a place, and now we find out they're going to build 500 (not a typo) wind turbines around it. So I'll keep looking.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:35 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,575,490 times
Not a chance I would go back to Los Angeles.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Not a chance I would go back to Los Angeles.
Geez, why not?

Old 04-16-2008, 10:06 AM

92 posts, read 196,045 times
Whenever I contemplate returning to my roots (hometown) or anywhere that I have lived, the thought soon comes to me that I left that place for a reason; and the reasons are usually ones that would eschew any more thoughts of returning. I do not wish to return home or any other former places of residence and look forward, always.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke1946 View Post
Whenever I contemplate returning to my roots (hometown) or anywhere that I have lived, the thought soon comes to me that I left that place for a reason...
That's exactly what I'm grappling with. I am trying to figure out if the reasons for the feelings I had then still exist. And if they do, even if they only exist in my head, how do I deal with them? (That's a rhetorical question, btw, but if anyone else knows what I mean, maybe you have a suggestion.)

Old 04-16-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolL View Post
That's exactly what I'm grappling with. I am trying to figure out if the reasons for the feelings I had then still exist. And if they do, even if they only exist in my head, how do I deal with them? (That's a rhetorical question, btw, but if anyone else knows what I mean, maybe you have a suggestion.)
I think it might depend on one's stage in life. When I was young, I could not wait to get out of the country, and go to the big city.

Now, I think about it differently - would it be nice to be in the country, near friends and family, without all the rudeness, crowds, and big egos running around? I swear, some people around here think they are "all that", and they'd run you over in their car as soon as they'd look at you. I get sick of it, and would like to be in a place where there's a little more consideration for others, and I find that when I go to upstate NY to visit. And, people aren't running around like chickens with their heads cut off, either! I don't want to go fast, fast, fast anymore - I find it more and more annoying.

But, I have not made up my mind, and I have a few years.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
I think it might depend on one's stage in life. When I was young, I could not wait to get out of the country, and go to the big city. Now, I think about it differently ...I don't want to go fast, fast, fast anymore - I find it more and more annoying...
Exactly. When I grew up in that little town, I wanted nothing more than to get out. I felt so different from everyone else, isolated, ignored. And I wanted college, a career, and city life, which I've had all my life now, and, at this age, I'm so weary of it all. Even DH, who grew up in the city and lived here all his life, is tired of the traffic, the noise, the people, et al. Anyway, now I think that, if we go back there, I would be going _to_ something rather than running _from_ something. I'm just looking for peace.

Interesting you should be from upstate NY, cousinsal. It's one of the places we're considering. We've visited many times over the last few years and really love it.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:59 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,509,569 times
Nothing stays the same, you know. Not you, not the town.
Why not take a trip there, stay at a motel or such (see TripAdvisor.com for all possibilities), roam around, talk to store clerks, breathe the air -- and see how it looks and smells and feels to you? Nothing stays the same, and magic kingdoms don't necessarily remain lovable. But it might. Trying it for a short period might answer your questions...

And if it's not for you anymore, the magic place you are hoping for is somewhere. I found one. Try **** -- if you answer their questions truthfully and heartfully, they will show you several places that are, today, what you want.
Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You!

Know that no matter what path you choose, Life will always show you the very best that path has to offer you. Go forth in joy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or