U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:00 PM

36 posts, read 159,864 times

Advertisements

gemkeeper, just to clarify -- I'm not knocking the elderly who have cognitive problems and challenges and who tend to cling to the past because they are shut out from the present by ill health, failing eyesight/memory, and mental decline.

I'm talking about those robust elderly who just are determined to cling to things long gone, and who won't even open the door to their hearts or minds a fraction of an inch -- they are actively shutting out anything and anyone "new", and it makes it extremely frustrating to try to connect with them -- they don't want the connection -- they just want their sorrow and their wall firmly up. If you set them at a feast, they'd just see what they DON'T have. And this isn't just seniors by any means. I've met 30 year olds who are obsessed with their high school days and who let the present just go begging.

The city-data retirees I've been reading on this website seem very vital, very open and wise. They are jumping right in and it's wonderful to see!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 09:56 PM

4,728 posts, read 9,086,222 times
I agree with you completely, BrushFyre, on the attitudes and expectations of many retired and elderly people, as well as, lots of younger ones. Some will never see the glass as half full.

I was commenting more on the experiences that I, personally, have had with the elderly, not countering your experiences with some. Being retired myself, I am seeing these feelings that you have described among some of my acquaintances as they age. But, as I look back over the years, I think that many of them have always been dissatisfied with the hand they were dealt.

I feel fortunate that the time that I have shared reading to and talking with nursing home residents, I see more reminiscing about past events than longing for what cannot any longer be. I hope that I can hang onto that positive acceptance myself as the years pass. I truly feel that if you want to start where you left off years ago in your old hometown, you will be sorely disappointed.

I really appreciate what CarolL said in her last post - that she realizes that she "cannot recapture the past. I want to build on it, not return to it". I think that this is a very healthy, sensible and realistic insight when considering returning to the old hometown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or