Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2019, 01:36 PM

106,578 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

Which goes back to what I said ...it makes no sense to delay taking ss if you have to live on less until it kicks in..if you delay the only thing that should change is the ratio of portfolio income to ss income ....

This whole thing about enjoying the money now and taking ss early makes no sense ....your spending should be constant no matter which way you go or you can’t afford to delay without working
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 01:48 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,096,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Which goes back to what I said ...it makes no sense to delay taking ss if you have to live on less until it kicks in..if you delay the only thing that should change is the ratio of portfolio income to ss income ....

This whole thing about enjoying the money now and taking ss early makes no sense ....your spending should be constant no matter which way you go or you can’t afford to delay without working
Yes but we are all humans and as you stated early is very difficult for any to see their savings account dropping rapidly as they wait for SS to kick in. For many the reaction might be to not enjoy as much as they would to keep the withdrawals low.

A lot easier to only have to take out 10k from savings as opposed to 35k a year to have similar income.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Yes but we are all humans and as you stated early is very difficult for any to see their savings account dropping rapidly as they wait for SS to kick in. For many the reaction might be to not enjoy as much as they would to keep the withdrawals low.

A lot easier to only have to take out 10k from savings as opposed to 35k a year to have similar income.
i would never delay and wait 8 years to spend my full budget . to me there is no logic to that .. not if i can take ss early and have more money day 1 while younger and likely healthier to enjoy it . ... i can't see the logic behind breathing half a lung of air waiting to put the other lung in play years from now . especially because if you are an investor odds are pretty good you will come out with the same balance anyway as spending down and delaying . .

Old 06-11-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i would never delay and wait 8 years to spend my full budget . to me there is no logic to that .. not if i can take ss early and have more money day 1 while younger and likely healthier to enjoy it . ... i can't see the logic behind breathing half a lung of air waiting to put the other lung in play years from now .
Agree but others might think differently. Is whatever one feels more comfortable with.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Agree but others might think differently. Is whatever one feels more comfortable with.
i agree , but the problem is most people do not have enough knowledge and understanding to even make an informed decision . what if i die seems to be all the logic used by most instead of what if i live or my spouse does .

Old 06-11-2019, 02:11 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
I don’t mind what people do, but when they post as if they are smart pants by taking it at 62, that’s when I chip in. Not so fast.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:14 PM

same here ... i just try to at least present both sides as best as i can and at least hope they can make a better informed decision . it so complex that the software we helped fidelity beta test for optimizing social security has been taken out of use .

it did a great job finding the highest ss dollars , which typically involved delaying but it dropped the ball on integrating it with all your other assets and taxes as well as considering effect on rmd's , medicare , aca , etc . ..

Old 06-11-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I don’t mind what people do, but when they post as if they are smart pants by taking it at 62, that’s when I chip in. Not so fast.
But it all depends on the situation. For some taking at 62 might be the best deal for them, for others it might not be. There is not a one way for everyone.

So let’s let each person decide what’s best and they will live with their decision.

I like these discussions because sometimes it brings up things that I might have missed in my analysis but we don’t have to chastise others just because they chose or will choose something different from 2hat we have decided it’s best for us.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:17 PM

62 may be the best age for some ,,, but these silly articles that try to push one way or another on everyone as best are just flat out wrong

Old 06-11-2019, 02:21 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Quote:
But it all depends on the situation. For some taking at 62 might be the best deal for them, for others it might not be. There is not a one way for everyone.

So let’s let each person decide what’s best and they will live with their decision.

I like these discussions because sometimes it brings up things that I might have missed in my analysis but we don’t have to chastise others just because they chose or will choose something different from 2hat we have decided it’s best for us.
Yes, it always depends on the situation, but they never made it as such. Not just this site, other site as well. I’m not criticizing anybody here, I read a lot of forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement