U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 11:29 AM

6,253 posts, read 4,734,369 times

Advertisements

Anyone can fall and have a serious injury, but if you are sensible and take it easy, you should be able to ride for a great many years. Enjoy. The rides and scenery have got to be well worth some minor risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 11:32 AM

16,355 posts, read 10,340,678 times
giddy-up!

couldn't resist

Old 06-10-2019, 11:38 AM

4,627 posts, read 4,466,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
After retiring some 17 months ago, today I start my horse life!
I am going trail riding with a wonderful local horsewoman and then sort of auditioning in the arena for her program in therapeutic riding (I would volunteer as a horse handler for riders with disabilities)...
You are an angel. You'll be doing a good thing, and having fun at the same time.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 06-10-2019, 11:57 AM

7,664 posts, read 4,705,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I found out last summer that my ongoing fatigue doesn't stop me from riding, as it it's not aerobic or strenuous. I may get tired walking up the hill to the barn, but can ride well. I went for a week of riding vacation last summer and while I kept conking out while not on horseback, was able to do almost all of the riding.
I envy you your horsemanship ability. I gave riding a fair trial, even took English equitation instruction, but after the third time I fell off a horse I concluded that I just don't have the talent for it and should admire horses from a safe distance. We live near a half-dozen Arabian breeding operations (Arabs are big in Scottsdale), so I get to do a lot of admiring.

It's great that riding doesn't tire you. I found it strenuous and somewhat stressful. I was in my twenties at the time and in excellent health. How different people are.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:09 PM

71 posts, read 25,290 times
Very happy for you!

Old 06-10-2019, 12:25 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,565,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I envy you your horsemanship ability. I gave riding a fair trial, even took English equitation instruction, but after the third time I fell off a horse I concluded that I just don't have the talent for it and should admire horses from a safe distance. We live near a half-dozen Arabian breeding operations (Arabs are big in Scottsdale), so I get to do a lot of admiring.

It's great that riding doesn't tire you. I found it strenuous and somewhat stressful. I was in my twenties at the time and in excellent health. How different people are.
Don't know about ability. The times I came off the horse were horses wildly out of control (one hadn't been ridden in a year, and some guy set me up, having heard I was tough, blah blah).

I took English lessons when I was a kid but really preferred trail riding. I ride Western trail, and have had very good instruction from really good riders at the guest ranches. I did take a week instruction in Montana with Buck Brannaman's sidekick, Shane, and it was so over my head, it was embarrassing.

I find riding meditative. If you are sitting properly, you really focus on moving with the horse, whether at a walk or whatever speed. I love a Western saddle. (Did some low jumping in the English days and found it very anxiety-provoking. No interest in this or dressage). Love those Western saddles, like a giant rocking chair.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
You are an angel. You'll be doing a good thing, and having fun at the same time.
Not an angel. Enlightened self interest!

Old 06-10-2019, 01:15 PM

3,456 posts, read 2,255,437 times
Queen Elizabeth II is still riding at 93 -- you have many wonderful years of riding ahead! Enjoy!

Old 06-10-2019, 01:15 PM

3,551 posts, read 1,655,156 times
I'm so glad to read this news! You're living the dream that you had for a long time. That's wonderful

Old 06-10-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
Queen Elizabeth II is still riding at 93 -- you have many wonderful years of riding ahead! Enjoy!
And she's riding English- I assume! I find a Western saddle feel so much safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or