U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-12-2019, 12:13 AM
 
Location: Florida Gulf Coast
4,404 posts, read 5,917,359 times
Reputation: 7116

Advertisements

I would like to know if there is some monetary prize for being the "most interesting poster of the month" or some such thing. I thought I remembered seeing that one time and, if that's the case, I can see someone posting those types of threads because they generate the most answers. Let's face it, people like to talk about themselves! I, for example, was about to list all my cars when I stopped to think, who would actually care about this!?

I think there is such a thing as being a forum abuser -- i.e., starting WAY too many inane threads. I would say someone who has started 40 threads in just over a month, and never replies back to anyone or comments any further on his own posts, nor does he ever contribute to anyone else's threads -- well, something is strange there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2019, 02:11 AM
 
Location: Amelia Island
2,974 posts, read 3,954,136 times
Reputation: 3088
I still think it is a student working on their dissertation for a doctorate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 05:47 AM
 
2,447 posts, read 2,096,740 times
Reputation: 3564
I noticed it as well and just figured it was harmless and that someone is bored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 05:50 AM
 
Location: Williamsburg, VA
3,551 posts, read 1,647,282 times
Reputation: 10162
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I still think it is a student working on their dissertation for a doctorate

Or a student working on what to do now that school's out for the summer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I noticed it as well and just figured it was harmless and that someone is bored.
That's my take, too. Harmless, so who really cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 06:13 AM
 
6,212 posts, read 4,715,040 times
Reputation: 12710
To me it is not that there is an OP who is bored or working on a dissertation or just has little else in life. I am puzzled by the popularity of these threads. They seem to attract lots and lots of responses and I cannot understand why. Buried in the explanation there is probably some understanding of human behavior that I do not readily comprehend.

Last edited by jrkliny; 06-12-2019 at 06:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 06:20 AM
 
6,306 posts, read 5,042,575 times
Reputation: 12805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I would like to know if there is some monetary prize for being the "most interesting poster of the month" or some such thing. I thought I remembered seeing that one time and, if that's the case, I can see someone posting those types of threads because they generate the most answers. Let's face it, people like to talk about themselves! I, for example, was about to list all my cars when I stopped to think, who would actually care about this!?

I think there is such a thing as being a forum abuser -- i.e., starting WAY too many inane threads. I would say someone who has started 40 threads in just over a month, and never replies back to anyone or comments any further on his own posts, nor does he ever contribute to anyone else's threads -- well, something is strange there.
yes they used to give a cash prize of 500 i think. That ended maybe two years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 06:45 AM
 
11,968 posts, read 5,102,113 times
Reputation: 18703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
yes they used to give a cash prize of 500 i think. That ended maybe two years ago.
There are at least a couple of people who post regularly in this forum who have won monetary prizes but they aren't the same people that start these posts asking strange and useless questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 07:36 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,750 posts, read 54,373,866 times
Reputation: 31035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
yes they used to give a cash prize of 500 i think. That ended maybe two years ago.
I won that once, in 2013. As I recall it was the "most helpful posts" or something like that. I have started very few threads, normally I just respond to others. The moderators reviewed the posts of people that entered over several weeks, posts before the contest started didn't count. That means no advantage to the "How Many" poster for many or the most interesting posts since there is no current contest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Texas
158 posts, read 40,197 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't understand what 42 means?
The number 42 is, in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, the "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything", calculated by an enormous supercomputer named Deep Thought over a period of 7.5 million years. Unfortunately, no one knows what the question is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 08:17 AM
 
431 posts, read 104,127 times
Reputation: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevv View Post
The number 42 is, in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, the "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything", calculated by an enormous supercomputer named Deep Thought over a period of 7.5 million years. Unfortunately, no one knows what the question is.
Therefore any question asked could possibly be "the question nobody knows" so you answer 42 because it's the answer to everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top