U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 08:25 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,653,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
To me it is not that there is an OP who is bored or working on a dissertation or just has little else in life. I am puzzled by the popularity of these threads. They seem to attract lots and lots of responses and I cannot understand why. Buried in the explanation there is probably some understanding of human behavior that I do not readily comprehend.

Beats me. I enjoy answering the Question Of The Day threads every morning and I can't really say why I enjoy them, beyond that I find it a fun thing to do while I drink my morning coffee. Maybe it has something to do with stirring up fond memories? Or maybe not. I really couldn't say why I enjoy them, but I do.

If given a preference, I'd prefer seeing threads like this on the Other Topics Forum and so I only answer questions like this when they're posted on that forum, but that's just my preference, not something I think should be a rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 08:35 AM

17,863 posts, read 54,158,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
We used to call it "splat" and "star".
Not only used for coding though and still can be used today for searching.
It has another claim to fame in the emoticon world. It can be a symbol for a... how to put this semi-politely... brown starfish.

I saw the "how many" thread starts, and started to think up off-the-wall ones, like "How many times do you pee in a day?" The hook is that such questions get people to counting and solving the puzzle immediately, before "why on earth is this important?" kicks in. Sometimes it also hits a subject that someone might have mused about before. I've moved a bunch of times and sometimes tried to remember and count each place. The answers to such questions could be used to build up a profile, although I doubt that is the purpose.

What it does remind me of though are the "forms" that we are routinely asked to complete when visiting a doctor or fill out an application. Many of the questions can be extraneous and intrusive, yet most people will blindly and trustingly answer them. One such routine medical intake form asked if I had a gun in my home. Uh, doc? When you have a cure for the common cold, get back to me on that. Until then, none of your business. Nor is anything else that doesn't pertain directly to your getting your job done. Another one that makes me roll my eyes the "What diseases do your family members have?" In addition to being invasive about a third party, most of the answers are going to be completely irrelevant. Someday, I'm going to make up a mythical sister and give her a host of diseases - just to mess up some insurance company database used to increase rates or deny coverage.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:51 AM

2,235 posts, read 1,101,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
It has another claim to fame in the emoticon world. It can be a symbol for a... how to put this semi-politely... brown starfish.

I saw the "how many" thread starts, and started to think up off-the-wall ones, like "How many times do you pee in a day?" The hook is that such questions get people to counting and solving the puzzle immediately, before "why on earth is this important?" kicks in. Sometimes it also hits a subject that someone might have mused about before. I've moved a bunch of times and sometimes tried to remember and count each place. The answers to such questions could be used to build up a profile, although I doubt that is the purpose.

What it does remind me of though are the "forms" that we are routinely asked to complete when visiting a doctor or fill out an application. Many of the questions can be extraneous and intrusive, yet most people will blindly and trustingly answer them. One such routine medical intake form asked if I had a gun in my home. Uh, doc? When you have a cure for the common cold, get back to me on that. Until then, none of your business. Nor is anything else that doesn't pertain directly to your getting your job done. Another one that makes me roll my eyes the "What diseases do your family members have?" In addition to being invasive about a third party, most of the answers are going to be completely irrelevant. Someday, I'm going to make up a mythical sister and give her a host of diseases - just to mess up some insurance company database used to increase rates or deny coverage.

I'm sure you already know that many diseases are passed down in the family, and there are genetic risks for you to get the same diseases. For instance, if you have a family history of breast cancer, your doctor may increase your mammogram frequency. A family history of diabetes, heart disease, etc., all affect your own risks, and your own healthcare screening.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:24 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 19 days ago)

10,483 posts, read 14,316,428 times
Quote:
No, I am not complaining and certainly would not want them removed. I am just curious as to why they are so popular.
Reminds me of the endlessly boring and constant skyline threads or comparisons of GDP in the city vs city forum. No accounting for what people find fascinating I guess.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:35 PM

5,843 posts, read 8,605,080 times
Quote:
We have threads asking how many cars, jobs, houses, hospital visits, and other things people have had in their lives. I am totally puzzled about the appeal for this sort of question. Is this some sort of trip down memory lane? Does anyone really care about the count that others come up with?

I have enjoyed this forum. Retirement means a new phase in life with new goals and new issues. It can be interesting and valuable to see the preferences and approaches of others. Then there are some silly, fun threads posted entirely for entertainment purposes.

I just puzzled by the appeal of the "how many" threads. They don't seem to be entertaining or fun or informative or valuable. I guess I am missing something because they seem very popular.
I think it's mildly interesting to see where you stand compared with others in terms of how many places lived in, cars owned, etc.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:41 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,924,127 times
And yet, here comes another one today....oldest article of clothing you own. Oy vey.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:49 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,558,234 times
Quote:
... I cannot understand why. Buried in the explanation there is probably some understanding of human behavior that I do not readily comprehend.
People like to talk about themselves. The end.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:34 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,924,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
People like to talk about themselves. The end.
Right, that's what I posted a few pages ago! Simple concept.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:22 PM

6,251 posts, read 4,728,813 times
That seems to be the best explanation for this.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:44 PM

13,226 posts, read 6,326,744 times
We’re moving from how many to what now, stay tune, it will get to when. How, what and when.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or