U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 08:41 PM

15,200 posts, read 8,509,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I answered the first "how many". Then I noticed how many "how many" threads there were and figured someone is doing a thesis, taking a poll for an article or doing some type of "old people" study and stopped answering.
What's really pathetic is that if you're correct, doing "research" in this manner should not merit anyone a PhD, Master's, or even an undergraduate degree as a dissertation or thesis of any kind ....the most they'd get is a "C" on a high school paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 08:48 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,094,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
What's really pathetic is that if you're correct, doing "research" in this manner should not merit anyone a PhD, Master's, or even an undergraduate degree as a dissertation or thesis of any kind ....the most they'd get is a "C" on a high school paper.

The OP of the "how many" threads is 60 years old, not doing research, just enjoying making new threads, how about giving her a break instead of being a jerk, guys.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:19 PM

6,212 posts, read 4,718,283 times
So people who are 60 years olddeserve some sort of "break"?

Anyway it is not the age of the OP that concerns me but maybe we should look at the age or other factors for those who respond.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:58 PM

9,352 posts, read 6,249,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
We have threads asking how many cars, jobs, houses, hospital visits, and other things people have had in their lives. I am totally puzzled about the appeal for this sort of question. Is this some sort of trip down memory lane? Does anyone really care about the count that others come up with?

I have enjoyed this forum. Retirement means a new phase in life with new goals and new issues. It can be interesting and valuable to see the preferences and approaches of others. Then there are some silly, fun threads posted entirely for entertainment purposes.

I just puzzled by the appeal of the "how many" threads. They don't seem to be entertaining or fun or informative or valuable. I guess I am missing something because they seem very popular.

I live in the present, not dwell in the past. I wouldn't even bother counting "how manys"

Old 06-12-2019, 11:20 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,919,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
The OP of the "how many" threads is 60 years old, not doing research, just enjoying making new threads, how about giving her a break instead of being a jerk, guys.
It's a "him", not a "her". So I'm 69 years old, will you all give me a break if I start posting multiple inane threads a day? Somehow I think people would complain. This person never contributes in any other way to C-D, nor does he even come back to comment on all the answers he receives or thank the people who spend all that time answering his multiple daily questions. There are veteran posters who are leaving C-D because of this nonsense.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:25 AM

11,969 posts, read 5,102,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
You don't know how old the person is. Anyone can state they are 60 years old or 103. There's no age proof required.
Even though the OP isn't breaking any rules, it shows the downfall of not having a rule that the topic of a thread needs to have at least some remote relationship to the forum. Asking random questions about how many this or that or how old your clothes are have nothing to do in the least with retirement. If they tried doing this in another forum, they'd be shut down quickly for being off topic.

Last edited by marino760; 06-13-2019 at 03:34 AM..

Old 06-13-2019, 03:51 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
I find it interesting to a point. Some people are more mobile, others more rooted, but I wouldn’t just do tallies of various categories.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:57 AM

71,463 posts, read 71,652,652 times
i don't see what any of these how many threads have to do with retirement .

Old 06-13-2019, 04:00 AM

11,969 posts, read 5,102,113 times
Many of these how many threads or what is thread can easily be placed in more appropriate forums.
-How many cars have you owned really belongs in Automotive
-How many times have you been hospitalized belongs in the health and medical forum
-How many homes have you lived in belongs in House forum
-What is the oldest thing you have in your house belongs in House forum
-What is the oldest clothing you have belongs in the fashion forum

Old 06-13-2019, 04:01 AM

13,872 posts, read 7,381,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It took Deep Thought, the most complex computer in the universe, to come up with the answer to "life, the universe, and everything." By the time Deep Thought found the answer (42), everyone had forgotten the question. Further exploration revealed the question was, "What is six times nine?" They had the right answer, but they got the question wrong.

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy and The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe were humorous books by Douglas Adams, who was also show runner for Dr. Who for a while. BBC did a radio serial of it, and there was also a movie. It's still popular today, because it is really funny.
The chronology is backwards from that. It started out as a one-off radio show on the BBC. The earth gets blown up to make a hyperspace bypass and everyone dies. The BBC wanted Douglas Adams to do more shows but he’d just killed everyone. It would be infinitely improbable for anyone to survive. He invented the infinite improbability drive. More radio shows. The books spun out of the radio show series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or