U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 08:16 PM

6,303 posts, read 5,042,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Fifteen years of retirement and you sum it up as "OK". I think I would feel sad about that.

After 8 years of retirement, I could mention the joy I have had in traveling the US. I have seen a great many special places. Places that stir the soul and fill me with wonder. I could mention spending lots of time and energy reaching a level of mastery of photography that allows to capture some of that wonder. Or the times I have spent learning to paint for much the same purpose. Or I could think of the dozen some courses I have taken and my intellectual growth. Or I could mention the hundreds of hours I have spent learning archery which fascinates me because it is all about the power of the mind which allows us to do the nearly impossible.

When I worked, life included some joy in my career and accomplishments but it was mostly about getting by, raising and supporting a family. Now, in retirement, I have freedom to do much more and things of my own choosing.

If your retirement is just OK, you might reconsider what your life is about and what your passions are. At age 60 you have endless possibilities.
Is it weird that all the things you mentioned i did during my working and school life?

I've been all over the US from Arctic Circle to Equator and Europe. I was a photographer. I have almost 250 college credit hours. I took archery in high school and college.

So now maybe i think i am okay? I guess i am over thinking things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 08:18 PM

Hmmm - maybe i did too many things way too early in my life?

Old 06-11-2019, 08:23 PM

13,188 posts, read 6,301,958 times
It’s been fun, fun, fun and fun. Need I say more, lol. I love and admire other people’s cats and dogs, but I won’t own one.
I’ve been telling my husband this afternoon after a good game of pickle ball that we did plan our retirement well. Let’s hope we get more good years ahead. But I probably say great, not ok, but not amazing.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:31 PM

431 posts, read 104,127 times
Been retired 8 years now. If someone asked me how's retirement I'd say "better than sliced bread".
Did the animal thing and now down to 2 cats. That allows me to go away for a day or two or three with no problems.

OP..maybe you're getting an itch to try something different ?

Old 06-11-2019, 08:41 PM

1,656 posts, read 1,521,066 times
Clemenica, I admire you for your dedication to your pets. But what do you want to do that you cannot do now? Travel? Move to another town? You might be able to do those things once you are down to only 2 dogs. Or is it just the daily grind of caring for so many pets and taking care of that old house getting you down or leaving you with too little money to do the things you want to do? I am not sure how you ended up with so many dogs but I would be careful volunteering with rescue groups. You may be too soft hearted for that sort of thing and end up with more pups. People can take advantage of animal lovers.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 06-11-2019 at 08:51 PM..

Old 06-11-2019, 08:48 PM

507 posts, read 302,965 times
I'm retired military too. Weird career field. Did things and went places "normal" people never get to do or go. After I retired I worked briefly then quit for good when I got sick. Took almost 10 yrs to recover. I have been retired 23 years and really haven't done anything of note. Learned to play the guitar a little. Otherwise it's been like a series of rainy Saturday afternoons the whole time. Just lazing around with no particular place to go and a blank calendar.

That sounds like a bad thing but really it seems to be what I've always wanted. Was watching a rerun of a 90's TV show. People were exhorting (harassing) the main character to get out of his rut. He tries to change his life and, of course, it's a series of comic mishaps. Finally at the end he tells his girlfriend: Why do I have to get out of my rut? I like my rut. I worked hard to get into this rut!

I thought: That's exactly the feeling I've been trying to put into words all these years

Old 06-11-2019, 09:00 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,900,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Good grief. Find a home for your pets and travel!!! Life is too short!

This is exactly why I don't want any pets - I want to be able to take off any time and hit the road.
Pets don't need to be a hinderance to travel. We've had pets for 30+ years and have been able to travel the world nonetheless. For short excursions we'll board our pets or get a pet sitter; for longer ones, we'll arrange for family to watch them. Last year for example, when we traveled to Southeast Asia (Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Hong Kong) for several weeks, we paid to have my wife's cousin and her husband fly down from Cleveland to stay at our oceanfront condo and take care of our dog and cat. Next Feb. & March when we leave for a month to go to Dubai, Abu Dhabi, the Seychelles, the Maldives, Kuala Lampur, Phuket, and then to Singapore again, we're having a different set of cousins down from Cleveland to do the same thing. We get to travel, our pets get watched by family, and the cousins get to escape frigid Cleveland for a free (or relatively inexpensive) winter holiday in Miami Beach. It's a win - win - win proposition.

And I agree with jrkliny, I think retirement is fantastic and I'd be sad if I had to sum it up with just an "okay."

Old 06-11-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Clemenica, I admire you for your dedication to your pets. But what do you want to do that you cannot do now? Travel? Move to another town? You might be able to do those things once you are down to only 2 dogs. Or is it just the daily grind of caring for so many pets and taking care of that old house getting you down or leaving you with too little money to do the things you want to do? I am not sure how you ended up with so many dogs but I would be careful volunteering with rescue groups. You may be too soft hearted for that sort of thing and end up with more pups. People can take advantage of animal lovers.
That is it! I want to be able to travel and just go away for a few days and relax

I do have a roommate that says he will take care of them, but I am not totally confident in that. It was okay when they were younger, but now - I don't know.

I have a couple of trips coming up and i will probably just board the older dogs. They need more attention.

I hate having to depend on him.

He is the one that got me started on this dog thing. I guess i am just too soft hearted also.

I have learned now to just say no.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
I'm retired military too. Weird career field. Did things and went places "normal" people never get to do or go. After I retired I worked briefly then quit for good when I got sick. Took almost 10 yrs to recover. I have been retired 23 years and really haven't done anything of note. Learned to play the guitar a little. Otherwise it's been like a series of rainy Saturday afternoons the whole time. Just lazing around with no particular place to go and a blank calendar.

That sounds like a bad thing but really it seems to be what I've always wanted. Was watching a rerun of a 90's TV show. People were exhorting (harassing) the main character to get out of his rut. He tries to change his life and, of course, it's a series of comic mishaps. Finally at the end he tells his girlfriend: Why do I have to get out of my rut? I like my rut. I worked hard to get into this rut!

I thought: That's exactly the feeling I've been trying to put into words all these years
OMG! That is it!!

Old 06-11-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Been retired 8 years now. If someone asked me how's retirement I'd say "better than sliced bread".
Did the animal thing and now down to 2 cats. That allows me to go away for a day or two or three with no problems.

OP..maybe you're getting an itch to try something different ?
I do want to take off and go live among my dad's relatives way down in south texas. I want to be around them and just get to know them. My family here thinks that is weird. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or