U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 09:54 PM

432 posts, read 104,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I do want to take off and go live among my dad's relatives way down in south texas. I want to be around them and just get to know them. My family here thinks that is weird. LOL
I say go for it. Make your plans, execute on your plans and just do it.
I just did it myself. I look at it as my next great adventure.
Took me a year to get everything all lined up though. I had livestock and a home to sell.

You only live once and if it's feasible then why not go for it.
Otherwise you may regret not doing it down the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 10:08 PM

13,040 posts, read 15,382,569 times
My half brother took early retirement at 62. He told me a couple of years later that it's not as great as you think it will be. Not sure what he meant by that, but I think just that you get bored. But then he lived in a rural area with not much to do. He died at 68 so I'm glad he had a "not that great" six years before he died. I'm sure he enjoyed being retired those last six years more than he would have enjoyed working.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:17 PM

31,599 posts, read 19,931,965 times
Everything in life does not have to be amazeballs 24/7/365. But I think it is healthy every once in awhile to get a "happiness reading" and if it is always "ho hum", one may want to make some changes.

Thank you for helping out dogs in need!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 06-11-2019, 10:27 PM

508 posts, read 302,965 times
Quote:
OMG! That is it!!
I can say I am very happy to have been of service here. This is a subject, or a situation, that is generally unknown to most people, and people like us can never really find anybody to speak with about it.

BTW, the show was Becker. The show Ted Danson was in after Cheers. The scene is in one of the final few episodes.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:36 PM

6,212 posts, read 4,718,283 times
Quote:
Is it weird that all the things you mentioned i did during my working and school life?

I've been all over the US from Arctic Circle to Equator and Europe. I was a photographer. I have almost 250 college credit hours. I took archery in high school and college.

So now maybe i think i am okay? I guess i am over thinking things?
So now maybe I think I am okay.... What does that mean? What your did years ago is not now or apparently in the immediate past or in the future.

We define our lives one day at a time as we move forward. What are your passions now? What do you want to accomplish with the rest of your life? Are you still a photographer? Are you learning and teaching others? How do you express yourself, your interests, your passions? Do you want more than OK?

Old 06-11-2019, 10:57 PM

1,696 posts, read 747,918 times
Quote:
I've been retired for almost 15 years. Not yet 60. Retired military. Didn't need to work afterwards.

The other day my oldest niece asked me how i was enjoying retirement and i said "It's Ok".

Today we all know that "Just OK is not OK."

I've been retired 13 years and it's great. Do what I want, go where I want, buy what I want. Don't have to answer to anybody. Helps being single.

I have a dog but I wasn't much of a traveler before having the dog. If I wanted to go away for a while, my son would dogsit.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:55 AM

16,334 posts, read 10,324,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Today we all know that "Just OK is not OK."

I've been retired 13 years and it's great. Do what I want, go where I want, buy what I want. Don't have to answer to anybody. Helps being single.

I have a dog but I wasn't much of a traveler before having the dog. If I wanted to go away for a while, my son would dogsit.
Not sure who 'WE' is but ok is ok with me.. I enjoy not having to answer to a boss, scheduling my own time, wearing what I want (had a dress code).

I'm not thrilled or ecstatic over it. It's just a way of life now. I appreciate being at this stage of life but by most people's standards, it's a boring life.

I don't care about other peoples' standards. I like my boring life.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:10 AM

864 posts, read 197,106 times
Quote:
I've been retired for almost 15 years. Not yet 60. Retired military. Didn't need to work afterwards.

The other day my oldest niece asked me how i was enjoying retirement and i said "It's Ok".

I surprised myself. Am i supposed to be jumping with joy about it?

I do enjoy waking up when i want to get up.

I can go places if i want, but kind of hindered due to my pet responsibilities

People - make sure you are not encumbered and can take off at a moments notice!!

It just made me realize that i need to start appreciating what i have.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
I have a similar retirement (early, 10 yrs, military). I've been traveling a lot across country in an RV - that seems to spark my retirement and get me excited (I'm currently in NC mountains).

I did have the pet problem. I asked friends to watch my cat, then paid for boarding - finally found someone to take over her care. I found it very unfair for me to keep her and not be able to bring during my travel. NO MORE PETS for me. Not a responsible thing for me to do again.

Another downer: watching friends, acquaintances pass away or get older.

The other thing, as an early, younger retiree, you don't have the same social contact as the people your age are still working. Probably not worth complaining about - many would be happy to have what we have.

I noticed a lot of retirees all of a sudden start volunteering when they've run out of things to do or get bored ---it seems to give them a purpose and social contact. I haven't got to that point, but it's always something in the back of my mind.

Physical fitness has become my part time job. I do something every day. Usually takes the first few hours of my day (running, swimming, biking, lifting). Afterwards, I feel like I've accomplished something even I don't do anything else the remainder of the day.

Also, when I'm not so happy about my retirement, I try to recall the rat-race, stress, grind that I was going through and counting the days until retirement. It seems the further you get from that those days, the less you remember how happy you were to get away from it.

We are pretty fortunate, just got to remind ourselves. Health care taken care of, pension, free time....really not much more you can ask for. The rest is up to you.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:28 AM

864 posts, read 197,106 times
Quote:
Hmmm - maybe i did too many things way too early in my life?
That was a concern of mine. I did a lot from day one of retirement (I did see a lot of Europe as a Soldier, no need to go back to tour) and ten years later, kind of exhausted a lot of what retirees do (got tired of golfing, played a lot of tennis, tried fishing, kayaking - tried to learn to play guitar, took investing classes). Thought about learning Spanish - useful in FL where I retired.

That's where volunteering for a good cause might be in the plans later. The problem with volunteering is that it becomes a job - and you're required to be somewhere at a certain time - I'd rather not give up that freedom just yet.

Last edited by TBMorgan; 06-12-2019 at 04:49 AM..

Old 06-12-2019, 04:56 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,647,282 times
Why should retirement be any different from the other major things in your life? It's not like every single day is going to be endless ecstasy. And thank goodness, that would be exhausting!!!

Clearly you love your dogs, but I'll bet you've had days when you thought: "Owning a pet? It's ok."

Or, moments when you said things like "Parenthood? It's ok." Or "Living in my town? It's ok." "My career choice" It's ok." Or "Marriage? It's ok." Everything you treasure in your life has moments when they just feel ok. As long as you're not saying "It's NOT ok" I think you're ok.

Having said that, might be a good time to shake things up a little. Try something new, or maybe do something you haven't done for a long time. Take a class, immerse yourself in a wonderful book, try out for a theatrical group, take a hike in a park you've never been to, take a day trip somewhere. Get out a stack of your old favorite records and dance to songs you haven't heard in a long time.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 06-12-2019 at 05:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or