U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 05:04 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,647,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Not sure who 'WE' is but ok is ok with me.. I enjoy not having to answer to a boss, scheduling my own time, wearing what I want (had a dress code).

I'm not thrilled or ecstatic over it. It's just a way of life now. I appreciate being at this stage of life but by most people's standards, it's a boring life.

I don't care about other peoples' standards. I like my boring life.
Nicely said. My life doesn't look like some television commercial, so I guess it could be called boring, too. But who cares what other people might think, the fact of the matter is like my boring life. I've found a certain groove. If my groove starts to feel more like a rut, then maybe I'll do some new things. But I don't need to run around doing lots of things to make my life look exciting to someone else. Which does bring up a thought: OP, you started to feel this way AFTER someone else asked you how retirement was. Is it possible that's a factor?

Last edited by Piney Creek; 06-12-2019 at 05:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 05:11 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,647,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post

So now maybe i think i am okay? I guess i am over thinking things?

Old 06-12-2019, 05:55 AM

4,830 posts, read 4,940,887 times
Everybody has unique circumstances.

I'm not too keen on retirement because I have a partially disabled spouse. It makes travel very difficult. I suppose I could go myself and leave her behind, but that just doesn't feel right.

Therefore, I need things to do. I found a part time consulting gig that suits me well. It keeps my mind occupied for 20 hours per week and I have to freedom to schedule the hours as I see fit.

I don't think I'll ever be able to just sit still.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:03 AM

238 posts, read 84,436 times
My limit for same day traveling is to Manhattan, what with pets at home. I miss longer trips, such as to the Smithsonian in DC, but it's a tolerable tradeoff. I might be pet free by age 90, and then I'll travel.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:03 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,042,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Nicely said. My life doesn't look like some television commercial, so I guess it could be called boring, too. But who cares what other people might think, the fact of the matter is like my boring life. I've found a certain groove. If my groove starts to feel more like a rut, then maybe I'll do some new things. But I don't need to run around doing lots of things to make my life look exciting to someone else. Which does bring up a thought: OP, you started to feel this way AFTER someone else asked you how retirement was. Is it possible that's a factor?
I think so.

It made me think - gee - I don't have any exciting tales to tell about my exciting life!

Old 06-12-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
So now maybe I think I am okay.... What does that mean? What your did years ago is not now or apparently in the immediate past or in the future.

We define our lives one day at a time as we move forward. What are your passions now? What do you want to accomplish with the rest of your life? Are you still a photographer? Are you learning and teaching others? How do you express yourself, your interests, your passions? Do you want more than OK?
No 'passions" at the moment and maybe I don't need any?

I do help out in town and church.

Oh i guess my own would be my town information page. That thing could keep me occupied all day if i let it.

It is a job in itself.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Thank you for serving, but how does someone serve 20-25 years in the service and afford to retire?
No mortgage, no bills? Also a VA pension to go with that.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:13 AM

2,436 posts, read 1,057,100 times
I guess my retirement would be considered boring too. I'm pretty happy in my rut (loved that show Becker BTW). I can do what I want. I decided I don't really like traveling. We drove all around the lower 48 and eastern Canada when my DH was still alive, so I have seen a lot. But the last time I was leaving on a multi-day trip, as I was leaving the driveway, I thought, why am I doing this? And that was just driving. I can imagine me sitting in an airport thinking the same thing.

If I had someone I loved to travel with, I would like to do it. That's just me, I know - a lot of people solo travel and love it.

I have to confess, I didn't really "retire" from a "job" -- after we got married, we both worked from home and semi-homesteaded (growing a garden, heating with wood, building own house, etc). That only came to an end when DH got sick and we sold the house.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:51 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,900,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I guess my retirement would be considered boring too. I'm pretty happy in my rut (loved that show Becker BTW). I can do what I want. I decided I don't really like traveling....
It's not important what others might consider boring; only how you consider your life. If you're perfectly happy, then that's absolutely fine.

Nobody's trying to tell anyone else how they should spend their retirement years; but if when asked how their retirement is going, they basically shrug their shoulders and say it's merely okay, then perhaps they should endeavor to makes some changes in order to improve their enjoyment of retirement.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:57 AM

25,972 posts, read 32,962,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Pets don't need to be a hinderance to travel. We've had pets for 30+ years and have been able to travel the world nonetheless. For short excursions we'll board our pets or get a pet sitter; for longer ones, we'll arrange for family to watch them. Last year for example, when we traveled to Southeast Asia (Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Hong Kong) for several weeks, we paid to have my wife's cousin and her husband fly down from Cleveland to stay at our oceanfront condo and take care of our dog and cat. Next Feb. & March when we leave for a month to go to Dubai, Abu Dhabi, the Seychelles, the Maldives, Kuala Lampur, Phuket, and then to Singapore again, we're having a different set of cousins down from Cleveland to do the same thing. We get to travel, our pets get watched by family, and the cousins get to escape frigid Cleveland for a free (or relatively inexpensive) winter holiday in Miami Beach. It's a win - win - win proposition.

And I agree with jrkliny, I think retirement is fantastic and I'd be sad if I had to sum it up with just an "okay."
Pets are absolutely a hindrance to those who want to have the freedom to go anywhere without a lot of preparation. You absolutely have to make preparations for your pets. You have to rely on others that might or might not be available, you have to rely on boarders, that may or may not have spots. And of course you have to arrange for drop off and pick up, and all are issues I do not want to deal with. It would severely inhibit my ability to pick up and go. For those of us that do not want these ties, and want to be “untethered” to travel, pets are not for us.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 06-12-2019 at 07:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or