U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 01:43 PM

458 posts, read 106,202 times

Advertisements

Johnhw2...you hit on something with your statement "Retirement is harder than it sounds".

Our lives are fairly structured up to retirement...school, job, family, etc....the "norm". We get very little unstructured time to do what we want, when we want.

Then comes retirement and there is no structure..there is no norm we need to follow. It's like a blank slate where you get to create and personalize what you want to do. There are people that find that hard to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 01:52 PM

3,551 posts, read 1,648,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post

I like that. ^^^^^^ It doesn't bother me to just say "okay" or "I'm surviving it". Too bad if they don't like it.

Hear hear! Maybe it's just the way I talk, or my sense of humor, or some desire not to brag, but I think those are perfectly fine things to say. "I'm surviving it" has a certain charm, in fact. In fact, I got a little peeved with the poster who claimed we all know that "ok" is "not ok." Despite his claims that "we all know" this, it's not something I know or agree with.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I have no urge to travel far and wide now, a good time is being home with our three small dogs enjoying our time together.

Rushi g arku d is for the young. Retirement is harder than it sounds. Learning to enjoy the simple things is what it's all about as nature takes hold and we age and mature in our wants and `needs`.

So much truth in your post, especially the above.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:12 PM

260 posts, read 67,465 times
We are slowly downsizing from 4 dogs to 2 as they die. We often travel with them. Have been on the road with them for months. When we cannot take them someone moves into our house. You can travel with pets.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I don't get tired of folks asking me.
I like throwing them off.

For 2.5 months I was able to tell people that I was "homeless" but had a PO box
(I was staying in a monthly rental motel while looking for a place to buy.)

For 2.5 months I was an unemployed, homeless beach bum.
That got a lot more raised eyebrows then...retired, staying in a motel across the street from the beach.

LOL LOL I totally get this sense of humor. You would so fit into my current neighborhood.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:19 PM

6,218 posts, read 4,718,283 times
My wife and I traveled in a small truck camper full time for 2 years with a couple of cats. They enjoyed the travel and were relatively easy to travel with. I would not RV travel with dogs. They are too hard to take care of, often do poorly staying in a small RV alone and cannot be taken on most National Park trails.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:40 PM

458 posts, read 106,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
LOL LOL I totally get this sense of humor. You would so fit into my current neighborhood.
Actually though it was pretty frustrating at times. So many places require a "physical address".
A USPS box does NOT count. I had to go to the UPS store and get a box. That address is a physical address. And on top of that I could not get my PO box before I moved because you had to show up in person at the place with the box you wanted to rent with 2 forms of ID (thank you Patriot Act).

So I forwarded my mail to my brother. Once I got here I got my PO box at the UPS store.
Went to the PO and submitted 2 new forwarding forms..one from my old address and one from my first forwarding to my brother's address. They told me I could only give in 1 form. So..I handed him the form and drove to another PO substation and handed in the 2nd form. Both got processed !
Ha ha..I pulled one over on Uncle Sam.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:23 PM

941 posts, read 202,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I've been retired for almost 15 years. Not yet 60. Retired military. Didn't need to work afterwards.

The other day my oldest niece asked me how i was enjoying retirement and i said "It's Ok".

I surprised myself. Am i supposed to be jumping with joy about it?

I do enjoy waking up when i want to get up.

I can go places if i want, but kind of hindered due to my pet responsibilites

People - make sure you are not encumbered and can take off at a moments notice!!

It just made me realize that i need to start appreciating what i have.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
Boo hoo ... I feel real sorry for you.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Some people just are not able to read things and not take them personally.

Well.... the original post that they reacted to had a suggestion that many would find unnecessarily cruel. Although you may not realize it, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't intentional.

You recommended getting new homes for her pets so she could travel. This might be an ok suggestion if they were puppies. Puppies can easily adjust to a new home. But she doesn't have puppies, and in addition, the way you said it was a little cavalier. It sounded like you didn't understand that pets aren't things, they're living creatures. Many people, especially retirees, think of them as their children; to them it's like suggesting someone give away a child so they could travel. I think I also understand your POV, I know that not everyone sees pets in that way. Some simply see animals who they presume would quickly adjust. In reality, her dogs would be devastated if she did such a thing. Especially the elderly ones, who might not survive such a thing. Most people only give away pets for serious reasons, such as being too sick to care for them.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:11 PM

4,654 posts, read 3,237,575 times
^^^^^^^^ Good answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or