U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 05:29 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,042,575 times

Advertisements

I've been retired for almost 15 years. Not yet 60. Retired military. Didn't need to work afterwards.

The other day my oldest niece asked me how i was enjoying retirement and i said "It's Ok".

I surprised myself. Am i supposed to be jumping with joy about it?

I do enjoy waking up when i want to get up.

I can go places if i want, but kind of hindered due to my pet responsibilites

People - make sure you are not encumbered and can take off at a moments notice!!

It just made me realize that i need to start appreciating what i have.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 06:17 PM

2,744 posts, read 987,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I've been retired for almost 15 years. Not yet 60. Retired military. Didn't need to work afterwards.

The other day my oldest niece asked me how i was enjoying retirement and i said "It's Ok".

People - make sure you are not encumbered and can take off at a moments notice!!

Sometimes we need to step back and look at our lives and see how fortunate we are. Donít let anyone sell you that Retirement has to be all fun and games every single minute. Do the things you want to do when you want to do them.
I understand the pet situation eventhough he brings a lot of joy in my life it is tough just taking off.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:41 PM

1,040 posts, read 483,913 times
I don't think life is or supposed to be always "amazing"

Side note: Pets are family. I applaud you for making them a big part of your life!

Old 06-11-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Sometimes we need to step back and look at our lives and see how fortunate we are. Donít let anyone sell you that Retirement has to be all fun and games every single minute. Do the things you want to do when you want to do them.
I understand the pet situation eventhough he brings a lot of joy in my life it is tough just taking off.
Thank you! This made me feel better. Thanks

Old 06-11-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
I don't think life is or supposed to be always "amazing"

Side note: Pets are family. I applaud you for making them a big part of your life!
Yes - I now have 8 rescue pups - down from 10! They take up a lot of time and MONEY! But you are right, it is worth it. Thanks.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:24 PM

5,179 posts, read 668,775 times
Quote:

I'm "bi-species", i.e. I love both dogs and cats, but I have neither right now and that's by choice. I live in a pet friendly apartment complex so I have plenty of opportunities to get my "doggie fix." I think once I'm "older" and less mobile I probably will get a pet for companionship.

The other day I was at the bank. The teller--a young man--asked me what I was going to do over the weekend. As I always say, "I don't know what I'll do in the next 5 minutes let alone the weekend [or tomorrow or next month or in the next 5 years, etc.]" I was never particularly goal oriented and have lived my life for the most part "in the moment." I even grocery shop without a list! I have standing appointments for physical therapy twice a week. I go to the gym 3 times a week and work with a personal trainer on Wednesdays. Even THIS is too much structure for me!

I live life intuitively. People generally think I'm a ditz for doing so. Sure, I probably could have made out better if I planned ahead, but thus far life has seemed to work out OK for me.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
I'm "bi-species", i.e. I love both dogs and cats, but I have neither right now and that's by choice. I live in a pet friendly apartment complex so I have plenty of opportunities to get my "doggie fix." I think once I'm "older" and less mobile I probably will get a pet for companionship.

The other day I was at the bank. The teller--a young man--asked me what I was going to do over the weekend. As I always say, "I don't know what I'll do in the next 5 minutes let alone the weekend [or tomorrow or next month or in the next 5 years, etc.]" I was never particularly goal oriented and have lived my life for the most part "in the moment." I even grocery shop without a list! I have standing appointments for physical therapy twice a week. I go to the gym 3 times a week and work with a personal trainer on Wednesdays. Even THIS is too much structure for me!

I live life intuitively. People generally think I'm a ditz for doing so. Sure, I probably could have made out better if I planned ahead, but thus far life has seemed to work out OK for me.
Four of my pups are pretty old - almost 15 years, so I figure i will be down to 4 pups in a couple of years

After all are gone, i plan on still helping out the local rescue groups. We have really expanded which is wonderful. Even have a beautiful new shelter.

i'm thankful that i was able to see and explore while i was younger. Maybe i need to remember that.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:10 PM

6,212 posts, read 4,715,040 times
Fifteen years of retirement and you sum it up as "OK". I think I would feel sad about that.

After 8 years of retirement, I could mention the joy I have had in traveling the US. I have seen a great many special places. Places that stir the soul and fill me with wonder. I could mention spending lots of time and energy reaching a level of mastery of photography that allows to capture some of that wonder. Or the times I have spent learning to paint for much the same purpose. Or I could think of the dozen some courses I have taken and my intellectual growth. Or I could mention the hundreds of hours I have spent learning archery which fascinates me because it is all about the power of the mind which allows us to do the nearly impossible.

When I worked, life included some joy in my career and accomplishments but it was mostly about getting by, raising and supporting a family. Now, in retirement, I have freedom to do much more and things of my own choosing.

If your retirement is just OK, you might reconsider what your life is about and what your passions are. At age 60 you have endless possibilities.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:10 PM

25,972 posts, read 32,962,923 times
Quote:

Good grief. Find a home for your pets and travel!!! Life is too short!

This is exactly why I don't want any pets - I want to be able to take off any time and hit the road.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:15 PM

8,484 posts, read 12,445,645 times
Quote:

Thank you for serving, but how does someone serve 20-25 years in the service and afford to retire?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or