Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 01:39 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Have you considered Knoxville as an alternative to Nashville? I retired here a year ago and I really like it. I think it may be more affordable than the Nashville area. There are active senior centers, greenways, parks, and a vibrant downtown. I have met many people who relocated here for retirement.
Knoxville is a good alternative to Nashville, because of the city's catering to seniors. Another city to look at is Chattanooga. I haven't visited the area, but I have known people who retired there because of the low cost of living. Anyone who is considering Nashville should look at other smaller cities because Nashville's cost of living has increased so rapidly in the past ten years. Nashville has certainly come of age recently and the cost of living today is probably no different than if one were to retire in Pittsburgh or Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 02:03 PM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Knoxville is a good alternative to Nashville, because of the city's catering to seniors. Another city to look at is Chattanooga. I haven't visited the area, but I have known people who retired there because of the low cost of living. Anyone who is considering Nashville should look at other smaller cities because Nashville's cost of living has increased so rapidly in the past ten years. Nashville has certainly come of age recently and the cost of living today is probably no different than if one were to retire in Pittsburgh or Cleveland.

No, Nashville housing is much more expensive than Cleveland, especially within the city limits. TN has tax on food too. There aren't too many well-known celebrities living in Cleveland or Pittsburgh, but there are many (from all entertainment fields, not just country music) living in the exclusive areas within and near the city of Nashville.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:13 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
No, Nashville housing is much more expensive than Cleveland, especially within the city limits. TN has tax on food too. There aren't too many well-known celebrities living in Cleveland or Pittsburgh, but there are many (from all entertainment fields, not just country music) living in the exclusive areas within and near the city of Nashville.

Agreed. Cleveland housing is far more affordable and the sales taxes are lower and food and drugs are NOT taxed in Ohio.

However, if you plan to work, the state and local income taxes are quite a bit higher.

On the other hand, if you are a lower income retiree, the social services in many communities is far better than you will find in Tennessee.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:16 PM

55 posts, read 29,675 times
I live in the Nashville suburbs, I used to live in Richmond (yes, even the fan before I bought my house, but that was almost 40 yrs ago ), and my brother currently lives in Cary, NC. As everyone has said, Nashville is growing very quickly, and the COL is rising quickly as part of that. For Richmond, I agree with Piney about New Kent, or the eastern part. Piney, what's the Fredericksburg area like these days? I'm not that familiar with Raleigh/Cary, but it seems like its a nice area.

I agree with some of the others, about Cookeville, Knoxville, and maybe even that Columbia or Chattanooga might be a good fit. I think those areas are growing pretty quickly as well though. I think the main advantage that TN has over the other states is the lack of income and personal property tax. Sales tax is high though and you pay it on everything.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:32 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlb95 View Post
Piney, what's the Fredericksburg area like these days?

Way too many residents commuting to jobs in DC. Increasingly hectic and stressful these days. Intense traffic, and COL seems to go up and up. But, looking for the silver lining, every store you can imagine is now there.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:19 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,520,698 times
Also suggest you look at Knoxville..

Old 06-13-2019, 08:58 PM

55 posts, read 29,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Way too many residents commuting to jobs in DC. Increasingly hectic and stressful these days. Intense traffic, and COL seems to go up and up. But, looking for the silver lining, every store you can imagine is now there.

Yeah, I figured that it had become a bedroom community for DC. I've been gone for 20+ yrs, but it was in the very early stages of heading that way even when I was there. That's a very pretty area though, especially when you get away from 95.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:05 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,082,385 times
The HOV lanes to DC on 95 are planned to reach Fredricksburg if that is any indication. Without more input as to what is important to you besides $1500 rent, thats a hard call. You don’t have to get far out from Richmond City (20 minutes) for rents and housing, taxes etc to drop significantly, but Tenn will be cheaper except in Nashville city. Nashville is too much of a tourist destination for me. I would hate trying to live while scheduling stuff around tourist crowds and events. Raleigh Durham seemed nice, but like most of rural NC, SC, GA, (and western VA) the type of living, towns, and people are a bit too rural country good old boy for me once you get away from the major cities. Richmond, and north and east of it have much less of that.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:21 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Healthcare is going to be a challenge in TN outside of Nashville or Knoxville if you need better care than what a typical community hospital can deliver. We had a post this morning on my local board about someone moving to my area needing a neurosurgeon. I’d be going to Duke or Raleigh for that, but that’s a half day drive from where I am.

Williamson County is a wealthy, exclusive place. It’s great, but you pay for that. $1500/month will most likely get you a 1-2BR apartment.

I like Raleigh as a city a lot more than Nashville. More uniformly nice, much less crime, TN government is too religious for my taste

Old 06-14-2019, 10:35 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I’m still looking for place to relocate, my plans got delayed a few years but now due to ever worsening COL issues I need to get serious about moving. Anyone live either of these 3 places or familiar with them to compare. I’ll be 72 when I move and will be renting in suburbs (want to keep around $1500). I’ve been to Richmond and Raleigh and both were ok, although I’ve always had a fondness for Virginia. Any guidance, opinions, etc would be greatly appreciated. I check those cities forums on a regular basis but most discussion seems mostly geared toward younger people. Thx.
Good to hear from you, I often wondered where you ended up - now I know it's nowhere, YET! Last time I heard, you were looking at Richmond, I think. I don't know if you saw my post that I've given up on my dream of moving back to Southern CA - it was too chilly for me when I was there and my wimpy Florida blood (6 years here now) can't take the cold anymore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement