U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 01:18 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,053,444 times

Advertisements

Iím still looking for place to relocate, my plans got delayed a few years but now due to ever worsening COL issues I need to get serious about moving. Anyone live either of these 3 places or familiar with them to compare. Iíll be 72 when I move and will be renting in suburbs (want to keep around $1500). Iíve been to Richmond and Raleigh and both were ok, although Iíve always had a fondness for Virginia. Any guidance, opinions, etc would be greatly appreciated. I check those cities forums on a regular basis but most discussion seems mostly geared toward younger people. Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 04:54 PM

5,420 posts, read 15,461,704 times
I've lived in a semi rural part of Raleigh (far south, down near Fuquay Varina) for the last 13 years. I like it, but the HUMID summers get to me. I may want to move to western NC once I retire. Cost of living is relatively low here, unless you decide to live in Chapel Hill or parts of Cary. We visited Nashville before moving to Raleigh, and decided that Nashville had too much of a country music vibe, which we did not like.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:55 AM

97 posts, read 33,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I've lived in a semi rural part of Raleigh (far south, down near Fuquay Varina) for the last 13 years. I like it, but the HUMID summers get to me. I may want to move to western NC once I retire. Cost of living is relatively low here, unless you decide to live in Chapel Hill or parts of Cary. We visited Nashville before moving to Raleigh, and decided that Nashville had too much of a country music vibe, which we did not like.
I may like to chat with you at some point. Iíd like to snowbird in the Raleigh area. I have a good friend in Holly Springs and would like to find a rental not too far from her, but preferably in a more pedestrian friendly area.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:08 AM

13,872 posts, read 7,381,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Tourist Nashville has a country music vibe. The nice suburbs in Williamson County arenít anything like that. Franklin is a really nice town. Prices have more than doubled so itís not particularly affordable these days.

I have a dentist cousin in Chapel Hill. My sister got her PhD at Duke. Iíve done lots of high tech business in RTP. Iíd put Williamson County several notches above RDU.

I donít have enough recent experience with Richmond to comment.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:48 AM

97 posts, read 33,907 times
GeoffD, what factors make you rate Williamson County higher than the Raleigh area?

Old 06-13-2019, 07:33 AM

1,239 posts, read 585,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Iím still looking for place to relocate, my plans got delayed a few years but now due to ever worsening COL issues I need to get serious about moving. Anyone live either of these 3 places or familiar with them to compare. Iíll be 72 when I move and will be renting in suburbs (want to keep around $1500). Iíve been to Richmond and Raleigh and both were ok, although Iíve always had a fondness for Virginia. Any guidance, opinions, etc would be greatly appreciated. I check those cities forums on a regular basis but most discussion seems mostly geared toward younger people. Thx.
Have you considered Knoxville as an alternative to Nashville? I retired here a year ago and I really like it. I think it may be more affordable than the Nashville area. There are active senior centers, greenways, parks, and a vibrant downtown. I have met many people who relocated here for retirement.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:22 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 15 days ago)

10,451 posts, read 14,299,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Have you considered Knoxville as an alternative to Nashville? I retired here a year ago and I really like it. I think it may be more affordable than the Nashville area. There are active senior centers, greenways, parks, and a vibrant downtown. I have met many people who relocated here for retirement.
Cookeville TN is also a consideration for a lot of people looking at Nashville. Close enough to take advantage of a lot of the amenities Nashville offers, but smaller and far enough away to avoid many of the issues of Nashville (congestion, affordibilty, etc)

Old 06-13-2019, 10:57 AM

8,115 posts, read 8,616,186 times
Franklin has become super expensive with similar prices (but lower taxes) to the northeast. Nashville and the surrounding area has become rather cosmopolitan and the city itself has transformed into a more "hipster" vibe. If you are retired and don't need a job, I'd look into the other TN cities that have been suggested. Eastern TN is very nice too.

The big advantage for older people living near Nashville is that you have access to some of the best healthcare in the US. There are several big healthcare networks so if you don't like one, you have other choices. You could also look into some of the surrounding suburbs of Memphis. Memphis is gentrifying (with rising prices too), but they also have pretty good healthcare. Memphis is a little warmer than Nashville. They both have 4 or at least 3 seasons so you need clothes for both cold and hot climates. As you can tell, I love the state of TN.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:30 PM

3,551 posts, read 1,647,282 times
Is there a reason you want bigger cities? If COL is a concern, a small town with a good medical center nearby might be less expensive. The little towns up and down 81 might be good options.

Of the three you suggested, I'd go for a suburban area around Richmond. You're halfway between the ocean and the mountains, and near some other great cities. Plus, Richmond has a artsy vibe these days that makes it a fun town. Just avoid the Fan (as I'm sure you already know). I don't know all the suburbs there, but if you live in New Kent area, you could really stretch your savings. Be careful if you look at the little towns south of Richmond, some are dicier than others.

But I've also heard great things about Raleigh and Nashville. I spent a little bit of time in Raleigh once and it seemed like it could be a really nice place to live. Winston Salem and Roanoke might be worth checking out, too.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:49 PM

25,967 posts, read 32,962,923 times
I would choose the more northern area. For me, the humidity is much more of a factor now. I just cannot stand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or