U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 02:53 PM

5,232 posts, read 3,007,646 times

Advertisements

I have yet to find one of these publications that fits my budget, tastes or climate preference. They could be printed in Chinese and be just as meaningful to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 03:47 PM

120 posts, read 62,602 times
I think the key things are access to good medical care and proximity to family. For some retirees, priorities will be different - they may want more cultural activities, or a more temperate climate, or nonstop flights to exotic international destinations.

For some retirees with lots of friends but whose kids have moved away they may need to decide between staying where they are or moving closer to kids/grandkids - generally people are happier/healthier near their friends, but friends die, too, and it gets harder to travel should you become an older/more frail senior.

What can be nice about retirement is that you don't have to worry about the job market where you live, which opens up many more possibilities of pleasant or interesting places that may not have strong or diverse economies.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:28 AM

51 posts, read 14,714 times
I'm seriously considering eastern Tennessee also...love the Smoky Mountains. I don't like heavy traffic so it will be a less populated town in that general area. I'm also considering Wyoming. I love the west and open plains. The only issue is I will have to deal with winters...but that's when I'll travel.

4 years until I retire. I have some time to watch the housing market. I will be taking several week long trips to explore and figure it out. I'll be going in winter and summer to be sure I know what to expect.

My sister lives in Florida and wants me down there...but I don't think I could deal with the traffic and summer heat...and flat land. Love some rolling hills and mountains.

We will see what the future brings...

Old 06-15-2019, 08:45 PM

28,202 posts, read 47,597,148 times
I'm thinking about moving too Crossville Tennessee from Cookeville Tennessee because it's not so crowded and cost of living might be cheaper.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:26 AM

4,962 posts, read 3,452,717 times
I moved to Arizona from Minnesota because of the snow and ice. It was almost like waking up one day and realizing I no longer had to put up with it.

I've been here a year and a half and do like the town I'm in but haven't explored enough. I do love Arizona.

I'm planning on checking out other places in the state as I'd never been here and the research I've been doing on the state has opened my eyes to other possibilities.

I'll take the time to investigate and see what's there. I didn't realize that not all of Arizona is boiling hot like I thought it was. I used to scoff when people said, but it's a dry heat. After all, heat is heat, right?

Uh, no. There were/are times in Minnesota during the summer where you can hardly breathe because of the humidity. I have not experienced anything like that here. Actually, outside of last September, I haven't been overly hot.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:18 PM

1,028 posts, read 355,987 times
Somewhere over the Rainbow

Old 06-17-2019, 09:33 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,054,651 times
Meo, you might want to check out Prescott!

Old 06-18-2019, 04:38 AM

4,830 posts, read 4,944,472 times
My observation: Many retire to a place to be close to family. I've known several friends who have moved near grandchildren.

I'm trying real hard to avoid that.

Plane tickets are cheap. Living near San Francisco is not.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:36 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,142,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I have never understood how New Hampshire makes the best places to retire list. New Hampshire has very cold winters, snow and ice, and high property taxes. I do love it in the summer though.
Property taxes in NH vary wildly. There are several places where property taxes are very reasonable. The communities with the highest property taxes generally are in the southern areas near the Massachusetts border. I know many people from other northeastern states that have retired in New Hampshire because they like the northeastern climate but find the fact that New Hampshire has no income tax and no sales tax more attractive than surrounding states.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:44 AM

244 posts, read 88,510 times
We chose TX because my family is here. We decided to live in the same area everyone was already in so it made it pretty easy to narrow down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or