Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 08:07 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
None of them consider family into the equation either.
I agree with George Burns when he said:

Quote:
Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 08:15 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I'm thinking about moving too Crossville Tennessee from Cookeville Tennessee because it's not so crowded and cost of living might be cheaper.
Crossville's crime rate is among the highest in the state, neck and neck with Memphis. There's no way I'd make the move. If you want smaller, maybe look around Monterey.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:11 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Crossville's crime rate is among the highest in the state, neck and neck with Memphis. There's no way I'd make the move. If you want smaller, maybe look around Monterey.
Monterey hardly gets high marks for having a low crime rate either. There are few places in TN that actually get good marks for low crime. Don't beat me up, I like TN but the crime rates are overall way above the national average if that's something you consider. I know some people never give crime rates a second thought and of course it comes down to your neighborhood more than anything else.

http://itsgov.com/which-states-have-...ime-rates.html

Old 06-19-2019, 10:47 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I moved to Arizona from Minnesota because of the snow and ice. It was almost like waking up one day and realizing I no longer had to put up with it.

I've been here a year and a half and do like the town I'm in but haven't explored enough. I do love Arizona.

I'm planning on checking out other places in the state as I'd never been here and the research I've been doing on the state has opened my eyes to other possibilities.

I'll take the time to investigate and see what's there. I didn't realize that not all of Arizona is boiling hot like I thought it was. I used to scoff when people said, but it's a dry heat. After all, heat is heat, right?

Uh, no. There were/are times in Minnesota during the summer where you can hardly breathe because of the humidity. I have not experienced anything like that here. Actually, outside of last September, I haven't been overly hot.
Welcome to the West. I've been gone from Wisconsin for over 40 years....and that humidity thing just slaps you in the face

Living out west in dry heat also means no mosquitoes. Now THAT is a win.

We're now on the coast - which to a person tells us we went the wrong way (we moved from Utah) - but this is the best of all worlds. We are close enough to mountains if we miss snow we can drive to it..... but we don't have to live in it..

Old 06-19-2019, 05:05 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,431,354 times
We chose not to be close to family. I suspect being in Florida they will visit us more now

Old 06-20-2019, 05:54 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
I came to C-D to consider where to live after I retire. Now that I am retired and done about 6 years of research and travel we have decided that there is No Place Like Home.
Good for you!! I always recommend to pre-retirees, who are looking around, that, if you can afford to stay where are, it is the very best thing to do. Especially if you have grown children and grandchildren where you are. ESPECIALLY if you have good friends where you are. There is no place like home. Unfortunately, retirees usually have moved away long before they realize that.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:56 PM

You may not think of it or think it important now, but, trust me, when you're a Dem living in a very red state or vice versa -- it will matter to you then.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:09 PM

I hate to bring reality into anyone's retirement plans but for those of you who think that living in the wild is great or living in a place that no one else want to be -- you sound like you're 'young old' -- between 55 and 65?

So let me tell you what happens to a lot -- most -- retirees, who live in a remote area, by the time they are 70. They become very ill or chronically ill, and they are grateful to be very close to medical care. They suffer a serious accident and need surgery and then need to see a doctor frequently and need to go to PT three times a week. They live 45 minutes (or more) from the nearest grocery store -- 45 minutes or more when it is not winter.

I personally know a 70+ widow who lived 45 minutes out of Dallas. She severely broke her leg and damaged her foot. She couldn't drive. She had no one to help her. She didn't have the money to fix up her house and sell it and move to Dallas. She was panicky.

The mother (my age) and father of a neighbor of mine live in northern Montana. They retired, bought this 'spread', got some horses and cows and goats and whatever. This was their dream come true. When they got closer to 70 (just five years later), they realized they couldn't live like that much longer. They were fairly healthy, but they didn't have the strength and stamina, not to mention that the winters were just too cold and too long. So they sold their home and acreage (and animals) -- that took more than a year -- and they moved to a big city -- in a more southern state. And they are now VERY happy. I forgot to mention that they took a loss on the sale of their property (but, yeah, not a huge one).

Just some things to think about.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:49 AM

8,757 posts, read 5,055,756 times
I just gotta say, love your saying ....'young old'. I an still young!

Old 06-21-2019, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I just gotta say, love your saying ....'young old'. I an still young!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement