U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 04:24 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,843,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
You may not think of it or think it important now, but, trust me, when you're a Dem living in a very red state or vice versa -- it will matter to you then.

Only if you take your politics so seriously that you cry when your side loses. I won't let my state's political bend change me or make me move from here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 06:53 AM

1,965 posts, read 2,711,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Only if you take your politics so seriously that you cry when your side loses. I won't let my state's political bend change me or make me move from here.
I lived in a county that was so opposite my political bent for almost 30 years. Definitely I was in the minority. I worked in the same county government office all that time. The people I worked with were very well educated and also of above-average intelligence. (Well, some of them -- *I* definitely was. [I wish there was a laughing emo.]) Seriously, they really were. And those of us in the very minor minority (at that time -- it has gotten better now), we literally could not talk openly about our political bent. It even made a difference re promotions -- of course it wasn't supposed to but, still, it did.

ON THE OTHER HAND , my ex and I were very close friends with three other couples for over 10 years. The other three were of the other political bent, and we just agreed to never talk politics. And we never did. On the other hand, at the age we were during that time, we weren't all the interested in politics anyway. Outside work, politics were never an issue for me. Because I was too stupid at that age. Seriously.

HOWEVER , in the political climate of the past few years (how's that for being diplomatic ), I am VERY grateful I live in a state where I am part of the huge majority. And now it really is just a bent for me -- for the past umpteen years I haven't thought either major party any good.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:15 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,648,849 times
Politics was a consideration for us when we were choosing which city to move to. Maybe not so much national politics (for us, at any rate). We've lived in red states, blue states, and purple states and managed to find like minded people no matter where we were, so for us that wasn't a big deal.

However, I do think LOCAL politics are a good thing to consider before moving to a new town. When you're a retiree, there's a lot to be said for living where there is a strong representation of senior citizens in the local government, and issues that are of importance to seniors are a priority.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:25 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,920,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
You may not think of it or think it important now, but, trust me, when you're a Dem living in a very red state or vice versa -- it will matter to you then.
And yet, I am amazed that this is one of the least-considered criteria for people looking to relocate in retirement. Not only politics, but religion and the general "culture" of the new location. For example, the LGBTQ couple who moved from South Florida to The Villages, not realizing what a bastion of conservatism it was. They have since moved out West. And the second least-considered seems to be proximity to good healthcare, which was mentioned in your next post. For example, the retired couple who built their dream home in a brand-new retirement community in the Middle-of-Nowhere, NC (20 minutes to the nearest grocery store). It was wonderful -- the socializing, the happy-hour parties -- until she got cancer and had to go for radiation every day at a hospital 90 minutes away. They have since moved to a Big City in the South.

It really is not just about weather and taxes.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:56 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,843,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
And yet, I am amazed that this is one of the least-considered criteria for people looking to relocate in retirement. Not only politics, but religion and the general "culture" of the new location. For example, the LGBTQ couple who moved from South Florida to The Villages, not realizing what a bastion of conservatism it was. They have since moved out West. And the second least-considered seems to be proximity to good healthcare, which was mentioned in your next post. For example, the retired couple who built their dream home in a brand-new retirement community in the Middle-of-Nowhere, NC (20 minutes to the nearest grocery store). It was wonderful -- the socializing, the happy-hour parties -- until she got cancer and had to go for radiation every day at a hospital 90 minutes away. They have since moved to a Big City in the South.

It really is not just about weather and taxes.

This is so true. Now add in ethnicity. Yes we know about being black in a white neighborhood. Try being the only Asian in a white neighborhood as well. Here is why I bring this out. My wife is Asian, South Korean to be precise. We have been married for this our 39th year. A few years ago we were considering moving to TN and even took a trip to there. While there we met some wonderful people and were given a warm welcome by every one there. My wife is extremely attractive (in my eyes at least). She has the most wonderful smile. Anyway after our trip we talked about our experiences. She felt the isolation of not being near any Koreans. While there maybe some in Knoxville the community that we were looking at had maybe 1 Korean. So her feelings about the place made it a bad choice. Sometimes there is no place like home.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:29 AM

1,026 posts, read 581,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I drove through TN once, literally. Was on my way home from vacation so didn't have time to to stop and see.

I remember thinking I'd like to go back and explore.
I drove across TN once, too. I-40 across the entire state — it’s a loooong state! I was moving from Jacksonville NC to San Francisco. That was 28 years ago and I haven’t been back, but it was beautiful. Rolling, lush, green hills. Trees everywhere. And I remember exit signs all over for This Holler and That Holler — here a holler, there a holler, everywhere a holler. Old Macdonald’s farm was probably there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
My observation: Many retire to a place to be close to family. I've known several friends who have moved near grandchildren.

I'm trying real hard to avoid that.

Plane tickets are cheap. Living near San Francisco is not.
This is my problem. Or situation. As you say, the San Francisco Bay Area is not cheap! But wherever my wife and I travel to, we wonder if we’d want to retire there, but we keep coming back to the SFBA as the place to be. The weather is great, no ice and snow in winter (I’m from Upstate NY, near Albany, and THAT was cold and snowy and icy!). We’re trying to make it (retirement) work here in the SFBA. We’re not retired yet, we’re about 6-7 years away still. I think I could live just about anywhere, but it’s my wife who wants to stay here.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:07 PM

184 posts, read 114,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
I drove across TN once, too. I-40 across the entire state — it’s a loooong state! I was moving from Jacksonville NC to San Francisco. That was 28 years ago and I haven’t been back, but it was beautiful. Rolling, lush, green hills. Trees everywhere. And I remember exit signs all over for This Holler and That Holler — here a holler, there a holler, everywhere a holler. Old Macdonald’s farm was probably there too.

This is my problem. Or situation. As you say, the San Francisco Bay Area is not cheap! But wherever my wife and I travel to, we wonder if we’d want to retire there, but we keep coming back to the SFBA as the place to be. The weather is great, no ice and snow in winter (I’m from Upstate NY, near Albany, and THAT was cold and snowy and icy!). We’re trying to make it (retirement) work here in the SFBA. We’re not retired yet, we’re about 6-7 years away still. I think I could live just about anywhere, but it’s my wife who wants to stay here.

The SF bay area is an amazing place to live because the weather is fantastic and there so much to do.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:16 AM

1,026 posts, read 581,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasters View Post
The SF bay area is an amazing place to live because the weather is fantastic and there so much to do.
Yes we do live in a great area! The diversities in geography and cultures do enrich our lives.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:29 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,948,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
very affordable - about what my a/c costs in FL a year.
No way!!! Really? How do you swing THAT prize? My late Mother lived in a condo and was always stressed about ac-driven electricity costs!

Old 07-01-2019, 11:47 AM

2,427 posts, read 1,664,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
No way!!! Really? How do you swing THAT prize? My late Mother lived in a condo and was always stressed about ac-driven electricity costs!
Same here with an average of $104 a month for a total electric home. Our energy costs are half of what they were in NY. We even had natural gas for heat in NY.

Many factors go into a utility bill, but the temp chosen is probably the biggest factor. After living without AC for 32 years, 78-80 feels great to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or