U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 07:33 PM

11,969 posts, read 5,102,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Birkenstocks makes shoes, sandals, slippers ... but also inserts.

The original is the Blue Footbed insert. I rotate a pair in my shoes. Now they offer it in black in color but call it something like Blue Footbed insert in black. I have seen them in high-end shoe stores as well. Like the sandals I own, the insert is firm, with good arch support. About $50.
Thank you! I was probably looking at the wrong website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 08:53 PM

700 posts, read 537,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroad70 View Post
I am currently having some significant pain in one foot in particular and was just wanting to find out if others have similar problems. I just recieved a steroid injection from my podiatrist and I think I will have good results. It seems I probably have plantar fasciitis and achilles tendonitis, who knows for sure. I also have diabetic neuropathy also. I remember my father had a saying when his feet hurt, "my dogs are barkin'"
I noticed a couple of other people coming out of the podiatrist office and they seemed worse off than me, but dang it, my feet hurt!
My right foot hurts too!! I have osteoarthritis in my right foot, big toe joint, MTP joint. I've had steroid injections in that joint for a couple years which helped a bit, but a bone bump has formed on top of the joint, and now it's very painful.

Now I have to have surgery to remove the bump. There are several surgical options, some are less severe, and the worst would be replacing the joint, which means limited mobility in that joint. Don't think I'm that bad yet, but it will be a huge hassle for several months even with the least complex option removing the bone growth at the big toe joint. I'll be in a cast and then some kind of rigid shoe, no doubt. Won't be driving anywhere for several months. Very very inconvenient. Haven't scheduled the surgery yet.

No idea why this happened on one foot in that joint, though I guess it's fairly common. I did break the small toe on that foot 20 years ago, and it healed without complications, so that may be a factor, or just age. Apparently, the osteoarthritis causes the bone growth to occur over time as the joint is used. Isn't getting old fun???

Old 06-13-2019, 09:09 PM

1,907 posts, read 957,275 times
My feet are KILLING me. I have plantar fasciitis and neuromas and have broken the right foot twice in the last year (in two places, no less). I'm in and out of a orthopedic boot. I do have to say, though, that I try not to let it slow me down. I can stay home and hurt or I can go out and have fun and hurt. I prefer a little fun with my hurt. It's sort of like the spoonful of sugar that makes the medicine go down...

If your feet ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy. Getting old isn't for the faint of heart.....

Old 06-13-2019, 09:15 PM

31,971 posts, read 36,594,800 times
I was having feet pain at the end of the day and I read a thread here on City Data about Statin Drugs causing Feet and lower leg pain.

After I changed my Statin drug, my foot pain 97% went away and has not returned.

It supposedly affects your memory. I noticed that also when I started taking and wish I could get away but my cholesterol is just too high without it.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:08 PM

5,179 posts, read 668,775 times
Around 10 or so years ago (I would have been in my late 50s) I got plantar fasciitis and my doctor sent me for physical therapy. I got to do fun things like pick up marbles with my toes and dropping them in a bucket, roll a golf ball around with my foot and do heel stretches. I also used a shiatsu foot massager with heat (I had a boot, too) I eventually got custom orthotics but hated them so didn't use them.

I love going barefoot but we moved into a house with mostly hardwood and tile floors, and that did a number on not only my feet but my back as well. Since I could no longer go barefoot I bought padded slippers to wear around the house. That didn't seem to help either. While shopping at Penney's I saw a display of Crocs (the original clog kind) and I thought that they were the ugliest things on the planet--until I realized that the extra thick rubber sole might provide better cushioning than my slippers. I put them on and I was hooked! They became THE shoe to wear for several years thereafter.

My new apartment is all linoleum plank in the kitchen/living area which is probably laid on cement. I'm back to wearing Crocs around the house and resurrected the orthotics to put in my sneakers. Happily, I've found sandals (Baretraps and Ryka brands) with thick rubber soles that mitigate my lower back pain somewhat.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:21 PM

6,212 posts, read 4,715,040 times
As I get older everything hurts. That includes the feet. Close to 10 years ago arthritis and gout locked up the joint of my big toe on my left foot. That really hurt but 200 pounds smashing down on it keeps it functional. Over the past few years the joint on my right foot is also swollen and locked. Now I have the same 200 pounds and a few more to help keep it limber. Everything else also aches and fatigues so there is no reason the feet should get any more attention or sympathy than any of the other body parts.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:37 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,054,817 times
This has been an eye-opening thread! I never knew foot problems are one more "aging" thing to worry about. I've had friends who suffered from plantar fasciitis but for the most part they're in their 30s-50s so I thought it was a young folks' thing.

Several years ago I had a brief bout of mortons neuroma but using spacers (1st cotton balls, later silicone) for several months took care of that.

At 70 yo, I guess I've just been lucky so far. I love love going barefoot at home and in fact do 2-3 miles daily indoors barefoot (sock feet in winter) on hardwood floors. Weather permitting, I'm barefoot in my yard and on my porch/deck & I'm shocked to learn it's a risk factor. For stuff away from home, I've worn Birkenstocks and Keens for years, occasionally Nike when jogging/running.
The last time I wore pumps/heels was ca 2010. I I wear ballet flats to dressy events.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:46 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,054,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I was having feet pain at the end of the day and I read a thread here on City Data about Statin Drugs causing Feet and lower leg pain.

After I changed my Statin drug, my foot pain 97% went away and has not returned.

It supposedly affects your memory. I noticed that also when I started taking and wish I could get away but my cholesterol is just too high without it.
I've been on pravastatin for several years & so far (knock wood) have had no problems with foot/leg pains or memory.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:48 AM

7,079 posts, read 2,899,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
This has been an eye-opening thread! I never knew foot problems are one more "aging" thing to worry about. I've had friends who suffered from plantar fasciitis but for the most part they're in their 30s-50s so I thought it was a young folks' thing.
Oh don't worry, it can be a young person's thing too. I envy those who only started having foot problems with age...I've been in some sort of corrective/protective footwear since my teens. PT or surgery that fixed one problem only to have another one waiting in the wings take it's place. 20+ years of outdoor work in the wild didn't help. Still, if I'd bypassed those experiences just to spare cranky feet there wouldn't be any good memories now.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:19 AM

20,521 posts, read 16,599,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroad70 View Post
I am currently having some significant pain in one foot in particular and was just wanting to find out if others have similar problems. I just recieved a steroid injection from my podiatrist and I think I will have good results. It seems I probably have plantar fasciitis and achilles tendonitis, who knows for sure. I also have diabetic neuropathy also. I remember my father had a saying when his feet hurt, "my dogs are barkin'"
I noticed a couple of other people coming out of the podiatrist office and they seemed worse off than me, but dang it, my feet hurt!

I have arthritis in my big toe and under my foot at the base of my big toe. I sometimes end up walking on the side of my foot as the day wears on as it hurts with every step. I just recently started looking into orthopedic shoes, I'm sad to say, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement