U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 10:05 AM

319 posts, read 150,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I had PF for several years. It felt like walking on broken glass as soon as I stood up, then it would fade as I walked for a bit. After steroid shots, and fancy insoles, and just suffering with it, I finally read about someone who healed theirs by wearing Birkenstocks. You have to wear them every minute you are on your feet, even if it's just to the bathroom in the middle of the night, keep a pair next to the bed. I did it, and it took a couple months, but I've been free of PF for over 10 years now. I wear my Birks occasionally now, but I go barefoot a lot and it's never come back. Everybody's different, but those funky Birks cured my problem once and for all.
Most probably, the shoes provided the necessary arch support to promote healing, thus placing the plantar fascia at rest. There is nothing magic about Birkenstocks -- any shoe when the proper arch support will work.

A couple of comments on plantar fasciitis: the inflamed fascia attaches on your heel and runs to the ball of your foot. As we age, the natural arch in our foot "falls", and the plantar fascia ages and it has less "stretch" to it.

It becomes inflamed -- the "itis" suffix indicates inflammation (e.g., arthr-itis, etc.). If it is really bad, yes a steroid injection, one of more potent anti-inflammatories (more potent that oral NSAIDs) will reduce the pain, but it doesn't promote healing per se. You need to rehab the fascia.

How to Treat

1) Fascia, as opposed to muscle, has less blood supply. Therefore, it takes a loooooonng time to heal. One has to avoid aggravating it. Everytime you walk around without arch support (either going barefoot, sockfoot, or wearing flip flops, etc.), the fascia is under duress and the inflammation continues. To heal slowly, you have got to put it at rest. Never, for a minute, during the treatment phase leave it unsupported (except in the shower).
2) When you get up in the middle of the night, have shoes with arch support besides your bed, put them on and only then go to the restroom.
3) Do stretching exercises 2-3x per day, and do the first set before you get out of bed each morning. This entails holding the ball of your feet & pulling it toward your shin for 10-20 seconds or so, release and then repeat (perhaps a set of 10 or 15). Then put shoes on & go to shower. Only in the shower briefly do you go barefoot.
4) Do this for 3-6 weeks, and it should be gone.

Of course, this will not work for every single case, but it is the accepted treatment protocol. Yes, I did see a podiatrist, and he didn't really do much, but sold me some junk I didn't need. There are so many aids and devices online that are supposed "to assist" in healing -- it is bewildering. You don't need fancy and expensive inserts per se. You don't need strange contraptions to wear at night.

What you do need for most cases is simply: 1) continuous arch support; 2) patience; 3) persistence in doing the stretching exercises; 4) patience and persistence (intentionally repeated).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 05:40 PM

700 posts, read 537,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
This has been an eye-opening thread! I never knew foot problems are one more "aging" thing to worry about. I've had friends who suffered from plantar fasciitis but for the most part they're in their 30s-50s so I thought it was a young folks' thing.

Several years ago I had a brief bout of mortons neuroma but using spacers (1st cotton balls, later silicone) for several months took care of that.

At 70 yo, I guess I've just been lucky so far. I love love going barefoot at home and in fact do 2-3 miles daily indoors barefoot (sock feet in winter) on hardwood floors. Weather permitting, I'm barefoot in my yard and on my porch/deck & I'm shocked to learn it's a risk factor. For stuff away from home, I've worn Birkenstocks and Keens for years, occasionally Nike when jogging/running.
The last time I wore pumps/heels was ca 2010. I I wear ballet flats to dressy events.
It is an interesting and enlightening thread!

Just a note about those Nikes......I was wearing Nikes, but they don't have a lot of structure like other athletic shoes, such as Asics and Brooks. I recently switched to Brooks and added a soft foam orthotic insole, and I'm having a much better time with foot pain. I have to have the surgery on that right foot MTP joint in the next few months, and it hurts to walk, but the Brooks are well-constructed athletic shoes and some of the pain is temporarily mitigated. Highly recommend!

Old 06-17-2019, 09:32 AM

9,593 posts, read 17,162,235 times
I haven’t read this suggestion yet so I’ll chime in. I’ve had plantar fasciitis for years, since my thirties, and tried many different things with varying success. The one thing that Helped the most is that I bought a rebounder and started bouncing on it. A rebounder is like a mini trampoline. The PF was gone in a week and stayed gone. A friend had it much worse than me and could barely hobble to his office from the car and I suggested he get one and he is still grateful years later. It took his a month to disappear. It sounds like something that would make it worse but it healed it for both of us. We both bought Bellicons, which are the best on the market but it is still a bargain compared to other types of exercise equipment. They also take up much less space.

Another thing that bouncing helped is that I had a big thick callous around the heel of my left foot and sometimes it would crack open and bleed and that really hurt. It just completely went away.

And...for those with cancer and who can still exercise, rebounding is highly recommended...it cleans up the lymph nodes. I like to put on bouncy music and I suggest that beginners start with the “granny” bounce, meaning don’t let your feet clear the mat till your foot problems have cleared up. Some folks watch TV while they bounce.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:53 PM

36 posts, read 11,281 times
I found that Skechers shoes helped cure my plantar fasciitis in a few weeks.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:13 PM

1,239 posts, read 585,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I have arthritis in my big toe and under my foot at the base of my big toe. I sometimes end up walking on the side of my foot as the day wears on as it hurts with every step. I just recently started looking into orthopedic shoes, I'm sad to say, lol.
Hoka One One Bondi shoes. They have a stiff rocker bottom that takes the pressure off your big toe.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser456 View Post
It is an interesting and enlightening thread!

Just a note about those Nikes......I was wearing Nikes, but they don't have a lot of structure like other athletic shoes, such as Asics and Brooks. I recently switched to Brooks and added a soft foam orthotic insole, and I'm having a much better time with foot pain. I have to have the surgery on that right foot MTP joint in the next few months, and it hurts to walk, but the Brooks are well-constructed athletic shoes and some of the pain is temporarily mitigated. Highly recommend!
If you have trouble with the MTP joint, I suggest Hoka One One Bondi shoe. I belong to a Facebook group for people with Hallux Rigidus and Limitus and almost everyone raves about the pain relief with this shoe. I wear them myself.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I suffer from chronic foot pain.

So far, getting a custom orthotic set of inserts helps a lot.

Also, I wear Hoka One shoes for maximum cushioning.

https://www.zappos.com/p/hoka-one-on..._placement=1o3

I also have had luck with Birkenstock sandals

https://www.zappos.com/birkenstock-s..._placement=1t2

Both the original leather soles and the new plastic sole beds feel very good to me.

Try it.
I love Hoka One One shoes. They changed my life in terms of relieving pain and allowing me to be active. For me, the stiff sole and rocker bottom are key.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:36 PM

197 posts, read 160,823 times
I have an "itis" of some description in my right foot which used to be alleviated my little gel pads under the ball of the foot. They haven't worked for a year or two since i walked bare foot on a beach for a long period.

The situation has improved radically recently and I made two changes.

First, I do deep stretches of the calf muscle which I hold for quite a few minutes and second, I invested in "Yoga Toes'. Check the web site. This is not an ad as I am not affiliated with them in any way!

Maybe it was just time to improve and the above two factors are coincidental but I'm carrying on doing them anyway as foot pain is miserable.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:44 PM

823 posts, read 825,142 times
What it is called if the pain is at the top of the foot, on the instep? Fallen arches?

Old 06-18-2019, 05:24 AM

533 posts, read 248,505 times
I find as I get older that I am willing to pay more for well-fitting shoes that give proper support. I have flip flops from Vionic and sneakers from Finn Comfort and Vionic.
I wear Birkinstock sandals inside the house at all times.

The reason I am so careful is due to an episode of PF some years ago. What solved the problem was stumbling on just the right pair of walking shoes as I was preparing for a trip where a great deal of walking would occur. These shoes were On The Clock by Rebok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement