U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 02:34 PM

32 posts, read 25,170 times

Advertisements

I did accounting and wanted a january or early spring. Bonuses at Christmas, year end made it feel right. A coworker gave notice in the fall and my boss asked me if we should let her quit. I told the boss i was planning to have her replace me when i retired. So was asked when and said january after w2s. We didn't accept her resignation gave her a raise, put her on salary and i trained her. Jan i was thinking 31st since payday. But my work was done before 15th so i asked my boss if i needed to give notice and she said i kinda already did. I explained i was now thinking 15th since it was payday so retired jan 15, 2014 i was 65 the prior april.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 03:05 PM
mlb

3,179 posts, read 2,852,979 times
65th birthday....to coincide with Medicare.....Bearing in mind I could carry my spouse on my retiree health plan for at least 2 years....and will only have to bridge him 9 Months on California’s ACA plan until he gets to 65.

I broke my ankle a month before that birthday so I used up all the sick leave I had accrued to get me to that date. It was like the universe was telling me to STOP already.

I knew I could never get 30 years of work service - but 27 was close enough to qualify for a healthy state pension.

I will apply for Social Security at 66 - my FRA. I will not wait.

Last edited by mlb; 06-14-2019 at 03:24 PM..

Old 06-14-2019, 08:25 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,458,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
What I'm seeing in this thread is that most or almost everyone responding has a pension which was in a large way the determining factor.
A pension was not a consideration for me. But I worked it such that I have one, sort of. Knowing that I'm a "spender", I took just over half of my 403(b) funds and purchased a SPIA, (Immediate Annuity). That, and some savings, has allowed me to delay filing for Social Security benefits for about two years. Got my first SS check last month, (at age 67 1/2). Might have been able to wait another 2 1/2 years until age 70, but I like to play.

What I did this afternoon.

- - - - -

Sorry for picture three turned sideways. It was captured in portrait format and the forum software must have overwrote the internal formatting of the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
How did you choose your exact retirement date?-img_1510.jpg   How did you choose your exact retirement date?-img_1512.jpg   How did you choose your exact retirement date?-img_1520.jpg  

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 06-14-2019, 08:39 PM

11,969 posts, read 5,106,726 times
Your pics are lovely. I can easily see why you moved to where you did.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Dates can be beneficial to your transition.

Early in Tax Year if trying to qualify for ACA or an HSA (Pre-age 65).
I always have chosen to work through the miserable winter and SCAT by Spring! (Fever).
I LIKE the LONG daylight of Spring (next week it starts to reverse!)
Often workers have 'qualification dates' for benefits (Not me... Retire Early - Retire Often!)

I was So Spoiled by my primary ' High Tech' employer who allowed (encouraged) us to train school teachers to do our jobs, then we could take all summer off (without pay). I did that for 10 + yrs (Sweet). Win:Win. (Flex hours (in 1960's), profit sharing, PAID to volunteer in the community, (5) FREE degrees 100% Paid For!... very nice employer!) I was 'ruined' for life (as a 'strict' employee) - I didn't want to LEAVE! (but did 3x for 'severance' / allow my co-workers to keep their job).

As in the popular 'Job / employment Book'... "Die Broke" (i.e Quit your job, but don't tell your boss!)
For some... the timing is Just Right...
1) "I have better things to do with my time than work!... see Ya," Adios
2) "Take this job and shove it, I ain't working here no more!..."

If you are asking...

Tomorrow seems like a good day to call it quits!
Retire Early - Retire Often!

Old 06-14-2019, 09:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
My mentor... (High level manager 30+ yrs vested... with 350 employees in his group)
1) Went home one weekend (Fed up with his new boss)
2) Ran the numbers
3) Added up his vacation
4) Called in on a Monday; "I am going to retire x date, and am NOT coming back to the office".

He never went back... no need to clean desk, finish up projects, kiss up to the boss, no retirement party.

POOF, Gone!

Old 06-14-2019, 09:19 PM

4,366 posts, read 1,660,383 times
I was laid off when I was 46, and never looked for another full-time job. I considered that my semi-retirement. Five years later, I was qualified fully disabled, worked for the Census until that wound up.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:04 PM

767 posts, read 1,845,845 times
I didn’t do much planning at all. Our Commanding General where I worked offered an early out, and I immediately wrote a memo to him asking that certain waivers be granted so that I could take advantage of the opportunity. He immediately approved it. I retired very shortly thereafter.

Old 06-15-2019, 05:36 AM

4,830 posts, read 4,944,472 times
I've "retired" twice so far. The first time I was pushed out during the dot com bomb when my company dropped local employment from 3300 to 280. I thought I could retire but I had no idea how expensive health insurance was about to become. At 61 my wife and I were both paying about $1K per month each for premiums with a $5K each yearly deductible.

So I returned to work full time primarily to get group health insurance. Our family policy premium dropped to just $144 per month.

I then reached FRA of 66 and discovered that we could do fine on SS alone because we get SS max after having been taxed at the max for 35+ years and we have no debt. That allows my investments to grow.

But the real motivator was excess fatigue from 12 hour days. I asked them to let me work just 20 hours per week and they said no...So I retired.

Until I got a call begging me to return for a critical project. I negotiated that deal on my own terms: 20 hours per week, flexible hours, but full pay. They agreed.

My gig is up in October and I'll need to decide what to do next.

I'm lousy at retirement. I'll always need a gig. I hate watching TV.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:16 AM

3,962 posts, read 1,108,802 times
I had a solid career with a natural resource agency in Oregon. After 31 years of work, looking at a nice pension, a new boss I didn't see eye to eye with, it was a pretty easy decision. For the first few years I did some temp work with the agency, but in 2013 i decided I was going to fully retire. have not looked back since. I have a ton of stuff going on to keep me busy, building furniture, landscaping, fishing, walking everyday in our little town and picking up trash. i'm never bored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or