Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 12:43 PM

210 posts, read 155,288 times

Advertisements

For people who retired on their own terms...

Did you retire on your 62nd birthday? The day after you turned 66 and ten months? January first of the year so that your previous year’s partial work income wouldn’t be deducted from social security? The end of a big work project or fiscal year? Or did you choose a completely random date?

I have a ways to go to my own retirement, but I enjoy reading the discussions here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 12:44 PM

37,477 posts, read 45,713,006 times
I’m not yet retired, but my planned date is based on my FRA. Luckily, that also happens to coincide with my pension full retirement date. I never thought about that - boy did I start this job at the right time.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:54 PM

11,299 posts, read 16,599,958 times
Retired almost 2 months after turning 65. Even though my FRA was 66, it was time to move on.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:59 PM

17,681 posts, read 29,625,505 times
Default Choose?

Interesting question.
I am 70.5 years old and 87.3% retired.
I have been working from home since 1996. Slowly working less as I approached 70, but was in a one more day mode. Every day I worked was a day that I did not withdraw from our retirement funds. I did start collecting Social Security at 68.
On May 2, 2019, I fired my largest customer. Two events happened: 1) Retirement funds hit a magic number and 2) My 'fun meter" was pegged with this customer.
So, starting this month, I began to withdraw retirement fund money.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:02 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,798,217 times
How did you choose your exact retirement date?

It was chosen for me July 1, 2009. I had enough service credits to retire at 58 and couldn't sign the papers fast enough.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:07 PM

4,037 posts, read 2,896,160 times
I'd long planned to retire on my 65th birthday, which conveniently falls in December. It gave me a finite date by which I'd have mortgages paid and have found a retirement home away from Midwest winters. Worked out perfectly.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:11 PM

2,061 posts, read 2,365,911 times
There can be lots of things to consider when choosing a retirement date in both government and private sector jobs. I chose to retire at age 62, not because of Social Security, but because my pension multiplier went up 10% at age 62. And my pension was based on high three year salary. I got a large raise at age 59 and this helped increase my pension even more. Retired at end of federal government fiscal year (Sept 30) so that I could avoid the many end of the year administrative tasks that I disliked including the annual performance assessment and review. That meant I did not get a bonus for the year but our bonuses were so small that I did not care. And I wanted to enjoy the fall season and the Christmas holidays.

Other possible factors:

If you can cash out accumulated annual leave, retire at end of the year so that the extra money is counted against the next tax year when your income is less. Otherwise the extra money could push you into a higher tax bracket the year you retire.

Government jobs may have a lot of holidays from Veterans Day to New Years Eve. Work to January 2 or after MLK Day to take advantage of these. And you may be able to fully fund your 401k or IRA for that year if you just work a few months into the year (and be ready to enjoy the spring and summer months in retirement).

Time your retirement so that you get your last bonus. There may be important dates associated with company stock options, stock vesting, etc. Also some companies do not pro rate vacation time but give you a lump amount on a certain date.

If you are a couple of years from Medicare age, you could time retirement to use COBRA as a bridge. Not as important today with ACA but some prefer their company health insurance over ACA. Also you may have to work for a certain number of years or to a certain age to be eligible for company retiree health insurance. Or working the first day of the month may mean that your company will fund health insurance for the rest of the month.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 06-13-2019 at 01:35 PM..

Old 06-13-2019, 01:30 PM

41 posts, read 28,385 times
I had planned on retiring in July of this year, it would have given me 40 years of Govt. service. But a lot of crazy stuff was going on and my supervisor was getting a little too demanding for me so I changed it to June. ONE MORE WEEK!

Old 06-13-2019, 01:31 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,940,546 times
I will go on my 65th birthday at the latest. That's when Medicare kicks in. If things go very well over the next couple years, I could do it at 64 or 63, but have to pay the healthcare premiums, which I'd rather not do. If we had universal healthcare, I could go right now.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:52 PM

42,167 posts, read 17,529,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird57 View Post
I had planned on retiring in July of this year, it would have given me 40 years of Govt. service. But a lot of crazy stuff was going on and my supervisor was getting a little too demanding for me so I changed it to June. ONE MORE WEEK!
Congrats....those 7 days will be the longest ones by far.
But day 8 will be glorious !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement