Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 04:49 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Agree. If the individual is doing it, it is somehow worthy work. If someone other than the individual is doing it, well, something else entirely. "Observation" is a euphemism.
Right. You cannot observe someone else's internal growth and/or awakening.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 05:03 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think what the OP is missing is that self "work" is to be determined by the individual for their own observation on improvement.

The OP is not turning inward but using self "work" to judge the accomplishments of others, which completely defeats the concepts.

I also think their is a misread on what the OP takes as defensiveness.
Okay. I don't know how many times I have to state this. I learned this theory in a PSYCHOLOGY CLASS - it was being taught as a theory that psychologists could apply to "some people." There is no dictate anywhere that other people - particularly professionals "can't" apply personality theories to individuals.

You made up that rule and it is not helpful in discussing theories about different personalities.

Old 06-15-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Right. You cannot observe someone else's internal growth and/or awakening.
OMG . . . I guess you don't believe in psychologists, analysts, social workers, etc.

Even lay people know about basic personality theories.

Old 06-15-2019, 05:20 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
OMG . . . I guess you don't believe in psychologists, analysts, social workers, etc.

It's not really the concept of the theory I'm discussing, more the application of it.

And you really can't equate your observation of a person as being in any way similar to a professionals insights garnered over time listening to a person share their problems, thoughts and beliefs.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-15-2019, 05:20 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvU7CyCD4n8

Old 06-16-2019, 08:43 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:

This is a teensie-weensie bit off-track perhaps. I think you would find some of the articles and collected essays of Galen Strawson very interesting. I just pulled one of his books of the shelf to be sure to get his name right, and appropriately the title is Selves.

He is an academic, but quite accessible...has a sense of humour, and is able to bring the speculative back down to the here and now with considerable ease. I expect a little bit of Googling will tell you more and in better fashion, but I am too lazy to look for links.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:50 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
Quote:
I am wondering if people of retirement age feel that they have progressed in personal development over the years, or if you had no interest in self-actualization or self-awareness.
We are all in a state of becoming and it has little to do with age. Learning begins at birth, and stops at death. As infants we are our most selfish, and with any luck we learn to become less so as we mature. Though I have met some that have not matured and claim that as a victory, I think most of us do learn that self-actualization is not as important as we once thought.

I am a stalwart advocate of self-determination. I have routinely examined my life in terms of understanding better what I do not know and applied myself to my ignorance. Sadly, it is not only the poor that will always be with us, but also the ignorant. I am consistently learning things I thought I knew were wrong. Ironically, I have sometimes learned that what I thought I would never understand came to me quite easily as I grew older and had experiences to provide better perspective. In short, it's a topsy-turvy life and when you think you know something, you will find you are wrong.

Everything is a matter of perspective and as we are not omnipresent we can never be omniscient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement