U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 08:46 PM

36 posts, read 11,281 times

Advertisements

This forum is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 08:50 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,504,154 times
Who died?

I like it fine here.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:09 PM

6,303 posts, read 5,042,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Facebook can be great for special interests such as jazz - where posts about jazz and the New York City jazz scene and videos of jazz club performances in NYC and around the world are posted, and one follows a multitude of jazz artists based in the NYC jazz clubs, but who also perform internationally.

And Facebook Live is great for live music performance of jazz artists - all free - including the Jazz at Lincoln Center concerts.
I use it for my genealogy hobby

I have pages for materanl and paternal families.

Also have a page for our high school class. Small class, but we stay in touch.

It comes in handy

Old 06-15-2019, 09:15 PM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I avoid the financial posts like the plague. This is the last place I'd come for financial advice or to offer it. I wouldn't freely share that kind of information or assume I have the solution to someone's problem. I've seen some rude and somewhat pompous exchanges when the financial "experts" get on a roll. I prefer the more social and non-financial content of the postings.
I agree this isn't a "technical board" for the nuts and bolts of retirement planning advice, but I've laid out my personal finances on the finance board years ago when things were really tight.

The thing is that, on here, most of us are relatively anonymous. I'm just "SC" on here. I'll post a lot more on here on a variety of matters than I'd ever reveal in real life.

I've talked to some people on C-D long enough to become Facebook friends with them. Most of people post far less frequently than they used to, and when they post, we don't often post on the same threads anymore. Other than an occasional Facebook comment/message and getting along well on the forum, I don't really know any of them that well.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:29 PM

25,964 posts, read 32,962,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westegg View Post
Facebook is brimming with special interest groups, and quite lively. It must be an extremely slow death.
No kidding. FB is alive and well.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:33 PM

6,063 posts, read 9,520,860 times
If you think it died, then it's you who's lost interest in it. It's still active. Rumors of its death are greatly exaggerated.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:45 PM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
n other websites like the very very active ,financially independent ,early retirement forum , the one sponsored by the firecalc creators the discussions usually center around actual numbers ....numbers are discussed freely all the time ...it is a fabulous place for exchanging thoughts and ideas and bettering ones self and the plan ...it has many very very smart contributors .

Here the make up of the forum is very different.. many of the articles posted are about how bad supposedly everyone is doing or how little people have saved ...those who discuss numbers are beat up or called braggarts ...unlike other forums like I mentioned where everyone is there to learn and do better here it is a mixed back .

o it is hard to have a lot of discussions about retirement planning here just because few really want to get jumped on .. so discussions here are usually superficial and not very specific because few want to disclose much like on other forums.....

I think that these are very valid points. I do not participate as much as there is not much good information being shared. And heaven help that you are fortunate.

There are plenty of other places on the internet to discuss investment strategies and other retirement planning topics is a reasonable manner.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:04 PM

19,821 posts, read 18,826,487 times
As for facebook, I still use it but it does seem that people have dropped out.

I keep in touch with family that way and use it for genealogy because there are FB groups for that and once in a while I will even sell something in FB Yard Sale. Still downsizing and it feels safer than Craig's List since they're from my own town. I also enjoy seeing pictures of people's kitties and doggies (okay, I'm a sucker for cute animals.)

Old 06-15-2019, 10:40 PM

11,963 posts, read 5,102,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I avoid the financial posts like the plague. This is the last place I'd come for financial advice or to offer it. I wouldn't freely share that kind of information or assume I have the solution to someone's problem. I've seen some rude and somewhat pompous exchanges when the financial "experts" get on a roll. I prefer the more social and non-financial content of the postings.
I wish I could rep you 10 times for this

Old 06-15-2019, 11:14 PM

1,508 posts, read 967,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Where has everyone gone?
I don't understand this post at all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or