U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 08:13 AM

23,554 posts, read 17,535,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Well what is there to talk about? I’m sure every imaginable topic has been covered once.

And when a new poster joins and happens to ask a question on a topic that’s been covered over and over the lynch mob comes out after them.

“Oh this again” “don’t you know how to use the search function” “this is like beating a dead horse” etc etc
Yep - I'm not going to search and see if something was covered a couple dozen pages ago. A different poster may bring very different perspectives to the same topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 08:11 PM

29,764 posts, read 34,851,819 times
Some might say the retirement forum is alive and well just living a more boring life. It has experienced a lot and seen alot and now just seems to be getting old. Hmmm sounds appropriate.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:28 PM

23,554 posts, read 17,535,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Some might say the retirement forum is alive and well just living a more boring life. It has experienced a lot and seen alot and now just seems to be getting old. Hmmm sounds appropriate.
Like I mentioned earlier, many message boards are seeing notable declines in user engagement. I've belonged to multiple computer hardware message boards since the early 2000s, when I was still in high school. Those boards were previously supported by ad revenue from their parent websites, but that's dropped down over the last five years or so. Aggregate post count has declined.

Message boards like C-D are meant for more in-depth thought than Twitter or a Facebook status update.

HardOCP and Anandtech, at the time, were huge fora. I have thousands of posts on both. Both are shells of what they were a decade ago.

I'd love for the C-D admins to post similar stats. My guess is that the aggregate post count has declined from some former peak, though C-D is a relatively new VB Script board by comparison.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:16 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,919,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Thanks so much! For reminding me why I left a few years back.
If you haven't been here lately, you probably didn't get this joke...? For several weeks, a poster was posting "How many...." questions daily, sometimes multiple times per day, all about ridiculous topics that had nothing to do with retirement. Then someone started a thread, "How many 'how many' posts have you responded to?" and it became a big joke on the forum. Finally the guy was banned. Anyway, that's why the poster said you didn't phrase your question correctly, LOL.

So I don't know whether your question was about the familiar old names that used to post when you were active here? I've been here since 2008 and I'm not remembering your name, but I found C-D because of the "Women Retiring Alone...." thread. I enjoyed that thread so much....I felt like I knew many of the posters, most of whom were grappling with the idea of uprooting and moving across the country, myself included. Then it all changed...(sigh)....but I won't talk about all that. I do miss it, though. I really only remember a few of the current posters from those days, though.

I haven't noticed any decline in the Retirement forum. It's one of the ones I check every day when I log onto C-D.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:09 AM

11,969 posts, read 5,106,726 times
Actually, if I can make a correction about that one huge thread. It was about "men and women", not just women retiring alone although it became dominated by women.
There's some good information there for men too.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:21 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,199,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Actually, if I can make a correction about that one huge thread. It was about "men and women", not just women retiring alone although it became dominated by women.
There's some good information there for men too.
Actually it originally started out about “women” for a few years until there was a big blowout to change the thread title to “men and women.” Equal rights I guess. Yes, those were the good old days. I miss that thread. It’s how I discovered the retirement forum.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:41 AM

11,969 posts, read 5,106,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smpliving View Post
Actually it originally started out about “women” for a few years until there was a big blowout to change the thread title to “men and women.” Equal rights I guess. Yes, those were the good old days. I miss that thread. It’s how I discovered the retirement forum.
Thanks for the correction. I didn't realize the title of the thread had been changed to include men too. I guess like most things, after thousands of posts, it evolved.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:36 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,648,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I remember when I first came onto C-D. Wow, I took a beating from a few. I'm glad I didn't quit, tho a few times I thought about it. Who needs getting beat up by a few strangers.
It's a lot better these days.

I agree. I think this forum got a lot better when it quieted down and became a place for retirees to discuss what it's like to be retired.

We weren't here to "provide entertainment," we were here to connect and share information. Annoyed to see us heading back down the path to have bored people drop in trying real hard to stir the pot so that we can entertain them (but hoping it's just a temporary thing). Aren't there enough other forums on CD where they can find excitement?

I gave the new controversial threads a few tries, just to be fair, but it wasn't my thing. Too much bickering. Some people might think we're dead" but I think we're "real" when we're just being ourselves and talking about our real lives.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 06-19-2019 at 05:52 AM..

Old 06-19-2019, 08:05 AM

2,037 posts, read 1,945,753 times
This Retirement forum has been very educational for me, for example challenging my ideas about taking SS at 62 vs 70 in a recent thread, even though it's been discussed many times before. Still wished they would keep threads open so it's easier to find as people update it, as the "Alone" thread is almost impossible to find after it's been closed.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:38 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,458,547 times
For those who couldn't find it.

Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?

The sequel.

Chapter TWO: Women Retiring Alone. Did you Do it??

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or