U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 03:14 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,919,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Thanks for the correction. I didn't realize the title of the thread had been changed to include men too. I guess like most things, after thousands of posts, it evolved.
Well, it didn't really "evolve". Someone complained about it because it had "sticky" status as well as excluding men. So the title was changed to include men but it was never the same. Maybe if it hadn't drawn so much attention by being a sticky, it wouldn't have been a big deal. It IS, after all, a legitimate question. Single women's issues, concerns and fears about uprooting and moving to a new location can be quite different from men's.

Actually, there were so many of us who got to "know" each other through the thread, it really felt like they were real friends. But over the years that the thread was active, I remember only one woman who actually did up and move...I can't remember her name but she sold her house and moved to a trailer park in Santa Cruz or somewhere like that. It was so exciting! But then she dropped off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 03:37 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,442,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post

Single women's issues, concerns and fears about uprooting and moving to a new location can be quite different from men's.

But over the years that the thread was active, I remember only one woman who actually did up and move...I can't remember her name but she sold her house and moved to a trailer park in Santa Cruz or somewhere like that. It was so exciting! But then she dropped off.
I moved. (to retire) (I'm not the Santa Cruz woman)

Brightdoglover also moved. From the Boston area to Colorado.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:45 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,199,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Well, it didn't really "evolve". Someone complained about it because it had "sticky" status as well as excluding men. So the title was changed to include men but it was never the same. Maybe if it hadn't drawn so much attention by being a sticky, it wouldn't have been a big deal. It IS, after all, a legitimate question. Single women's issues, concerns and fears about uprooting and moving to a new location can be quite different from men's.

Actually, there were so many of us who got to "know" each other through the thread, it really felt like they were real friends. But over the years that the thread was active, I remember only one woman who actually did up and move...I can't remember her name but she sold her house and moved to a trailer park in Santa Cruz or somewhere like that. It was so exciting! But then she dropped off.
The woman who moved to Santa Cruz to a mobile home was the OP of the thread. Men were included though not many participated when it was titled for women.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:53 PM

4,813 posts, read 1,828,987 times
What was the OP's name on CD?

Old 06-19-2019, 04:01 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,199,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
What was the OP's name on CD?
I think it was Wisteria.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:58 PM

3,551 posts, read 1,648,849 times
Minervah also moved from Oregon to Cleveland. I don't know if she was one of the regulars on that thread, but it wouldn't surprise me if she was.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:37 PM

29,766 posts, read 34,851,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smpliving View Post
Actually it originally started out about “women” for a few years until there was a big blowout to change the thread title to “men and women.” Equal rights I guess. Yes, those were the good old days. I miss that thread. It’s how I discovered the retirement forum.
While I didn’t contribute when the title was only women I thought it had real value being singular. Women were able to identify with and share things they felt were gender unique.

Old Today, 02:01 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,238,888 times
Default Women Retiring Alone Thread

Yes, I am Wisteria. I came in recently to check and see if the old thread was there. I see it changed dramatically. So many wonderful women with wonderful ideas. We all had so much in common. Being a woman alone is very different from a man alone. That is why the thread was for women. For years, it was respected that women can have many differences in retirement. Many are single or divorced. Many do not earn as much as men. Safety is always an issue for women.

I loved our old thread. I met many women there and some in person. We had a circle of friends and shared our experiences, our ideas and our troubles. It really was a wonderful place to meet other women in a similar situation, with (often) lower incomes, and no real support.

Our thread did not exclude men because they are male, but because women generally do not earn as much. We also have features most men do not have to deal with: being alone, walking alone, being attacked, being physically smaller, assaulted, lower incomes, no family support, younger children who need help, trying to figure out how to make it on a small income.

We shared our joys, our pains, and our ideas. And we had a lot of fun!

Why they felt it had to be "politically correct" to include men, I do not understand. It is obvious that women and men are different. I am very, very tiny. I can't walk around at night without worrying about being attacked. Men can fight. They are different. Their needs are different. If someone was upset about it, they should have just had a parallel thread for men. They are different from women, and I'm sure it would have been helpful.

Yes, we are all human beings, however, there is a reason women are called women and men are called men - they are different kinds of people.

Women also respect and admire other women who can understand situations that men don't generally encounter. Some of us met in person. Others of us connected online. We followed each other's ups and downs. It was a true community of like-minded, kind, thoughtful and helpful women.

I miss the caring and sharing of that old thread. I remember when NewEnglandGirl died. I remember Robyn moving from Oregon to Florida. I remember meeting others in person.

If men and women were the same, with the same physiques, the same incomes, the same responsibilities (women are generally the caretakers), and did not have numerous other differences, then it would have made sense. But we had a real community. Many of us met others in person who were on that thread. We became friends.

I hope that those who are now monitoring City-Data will be politically-correct in recognizing that there are many differences between males and females. It is not prejudice; it is reality. It is correct to realize that men and women are different (otherwise, I suppose we'd all just be a generic "person").

Thank you to all the women I got to know there, and those I met in person. And many prayers and thoughts for our friends who have passed. It was a very special, comforting, supportive and intelligent thread that helped many of us women who were alone and struggling to make a good decision.

I pop in once in awhile, but it isn't the same anymore. Thank you to all the wonderful women who made that thread a "home" for us; a family of women who could openly share. And my prayers and thoughts go out to those who passed.

Thank you for being there when we needed the support, and for the understanding and empathy that was so kindly given. It was a wonderful gift for years. I am grateful for all the women I met, and the amazing posts and suggestions, and the fun and sorrows we shared. I appreciate all of you who went on that journey with me.

Thank you,
Wisteria

Old Today, 06:07 AM

1,965 posts, read 2,711,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post

I miss the caring and sharing of that old thread. I remember when NewEnglandGirl died. I remember Robyn moving from Oregon to Florida. I remember meeting others in person.

Thank you,
Wisteria
NewEnglandGirl DIED???? WHEN??? FROM WHAT?? She wasn't very old at all, was she? I don't think so. god, I have been away for a long time.

Old Today, 06:10 AM

1,965 posts, read 2,711,399 times
Wow, you're a good moderator. I'd forgotten all about those topics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or