Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 05:07 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I haven't been around much in the past few years.

I joined in 2008 (I think -- somewhere around there). For years it was an active forum all year round. A very active forum actually. A few die-hard members passed away rather recently (past couple of years).

Just find it strange, that's all.
Actually I think this forum is pretty active. I find it strange that you think it has died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 06:12 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
I'm still breathing...here...busy

Old 06-15-2019, 07:19 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,001 times
Quote:
Where has everyone gone?
I haven't noticed any lack of posts on this sub-forum. I'm still here - lol.

Quote:
I haven't been around much in the past few years.

Maybe that's why it seems like it's died?

I joined in 2008 (I think -- somewhere around there). For years it was an active forum all year round. A very active forum actually. A few die-hard members passed away rather recently (past couple of years).

Just find it strange, that's all.
Your profile says that you joined in 2011, not 2008. Time flies - lol (not that it matters )

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Has Retirement Forum died?

It retired and set off to do whatever the heck it wants to.

If you want a livelier forum, post something entertaining.
Love this response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
How do you know when someone has died? Do posters, post, when they are on there way out.
I don't know how that is discovered - maybe a friend or family member notifies one of the mods. If you ever see "Eternal Member" underneath someone's user name, that means that they are deceased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I know it was a typo but it reminds me of those signs that say, "One Nice Person and One Old Grouch Live Here".
I agree! Too funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Well if you haven't been around lately, why do you think others might not drop out for awhile as well?
I don't recognize your name at all and I have been here since 2014..
I don't recognize the OP's user name either. I've been a member since 2009. I often wonder how many people recognize mine. I sort of feel a bit invisible here sometimes, even though I do get lot of reps compared to the amount of posts I make. I read and lurk a lot, but don't post all that often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Not pushing up daisies, yet, but been outside planting daisies. Tomatoes, squash, and beans, too.
That's the way to do it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Actually I think this forum is pretty active. I find it strange that you think it has died.
I agree. Maybe because the OP hasn't been on here all that much lately.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:04 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Lots of C-D retirement forum energy, ideas, and contribution died when the most popular thread was deleted. (not just locked, but deleted... ) representing 10,s of thousands of hours and great posts (highly valuable content within the primary purpose of C-D deliverable) ... ideas...relationships ... POOF, GONE! (By the choice of ONE)

I can recall 5 frequent posters who have actual died. likely many more, All of us sooner than we think.

Be ready.
I can think of four really great posters who have passed away. That's off the top of my head but there are probably more. It's one of the reasons I don't come in here that much lately--I miss them so much.

Can't guess what that deleted thread was unless it was the living on a shoestring thread.

And there used to be a lot more fighting. Men against women, women against men, fighting like little kids. The first mod that I can remember, finally quit. No matter what he did some group was mad at him.

There used to be a lot more bragging too and I'm glad to see less of it. Either the latest retirees aren't multimillionaires or they have the good manners to not flaunt it.

Anyway, we have a moderator now and she's doing a good job. If someone is obnoxious, just report them and she may zap them if she feels that it's warranted. I can't think of anything else to talk about--it's almost summer, my flowers are blooming, time to think of mini vacations, I already re-located so can't talk about that...it's almost as boring in here as going to the senior center, lol. That's a joke. I mean the senior center is a joke. Actually, I haven't noticed it being slow in here; there seem to be a lot of new threads all the time and they're pretty interesting and fun.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:14 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
I think the deleted thread was Women Retiring Alone.?

Old 06-15-2019, 08:18 PM

310 posts, read 202,809 times
Facebook is brimming with special interest groups, and quite lively. It must be an extremely slow death.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:29 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I thought it was the other way around. Facebook is dying at least. It’s a forum for geezers to post pictures and such. I don’t have an account even.
You're right: Facebook is on life support. It's on track to go the way of MySpace. The kids have all but abandoned it and they're the canary in the coal mine whenever one gauges if something is "over."

Message boards flourish, especially the special interest boards.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:35 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
I'm busy watching LivePD and posting on Twitter.

My new guilty pleasure.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:37 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
those who discuss numbers are beat up or called braggarts ...unlike other forums like I mentioned where everyone is there to learn and do better

I was called a liar when I posted (once and once only) our then-net worth in this forum.

I LOLed and moved on.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:45 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Many discussions in the retirement forum that would typically take place in the retirement forums on other retirement forum websites don’t here ....

On other websites like the very very active ,financially independent ,early retirement forum , the one sponsored by the firecalc creators the discussions usually center around actual numbers ....numbers are discussed freely all the time ...it is a fabulous place for exchanging thoughts and ideas and bettering ones self and the plan ...it has many very very smart contributors .
I avoid the financial posts like the plague. This is the last place I'd come for financial advice or to offer it. I wouldn't freely share that kind of information or assume I have the solution to someone's problem. I've seen some rude and somewhat pompous exchanges when the financial "experts" get on a roll. I prefer the more social and non-financial content of the postings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement