U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 12:15 AM

4,691 posts, read 2,541,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
What is the time to your house for emergency help?

Silicon Valley: 15 minutes
Scottsdale: 5 minutes
Seriously?

How are you defining "emergency help"? Running to the casita for a first aid kit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 02:26 AM

7,612 posts, read 4,680,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Seriously?

How are you defining "emergency help"? Running to the casita for a first aid kit?

https://www.scottsdaleindependent.co...-at-5-minutes/

Old 06-16-2019, 06:29 AM

5,767 posts, read 4,827,803 times
We have a fire station less than 5 minutes away, and neighborhood volunteer first responders are often on the scene in two or three minutes to do what they can until the FD or ambulance arrives. My next door neighbor, a police detective, is also on the volunteer fire department and frequently parks the EMS SUV in his driveway. I feel pretty safe anywhere in the neighborhood.

We were at an amusement place in Knoxville, about 5 miles from a major hospital, when a friend went into cardiac arrest. It took over 15 minutes for an ambulance to even arrive. We had a friend who was a retired nurse and she started CPR within just a couple minutes. The paramedics got a pulse back with defib, but he had been without sufficient oxygen too long, and he passed away in the hospital a few days later. Being close to a hospital did him absolutely no good.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:43 AM

171 posts, read 127,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
How much faster than "several minutes" would you expect help to arrive? Not everyone can live next door to the paramedics.
e

My point is that where you live, where you have chosen to locate yourself may someday be a factor in your living and dying.

I'm not ideally located (high floor in a high rise a mile from the fire department) but my next location will be better situated so I have a fighting chance at survival.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Seriously?

Someone was having a heart attack. 911 was called.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
We have a fire station less than 5 minutes away, and neighborhood volunteer first responders are often on the scene in two or three minutes to do what they can until the FD or ambulance arrives. My next door neighbor, a police detective, is also on the volunteer fire department and frequently parks the EMS SUV in his driveway. I feel pretty safe anywhere in the neighborhood.

We were at an amusement place in Knoxville, about 5 miles from a major hospital, when a friend went into cardiac arrest. It took over 15 minutes for an ambulance to even arrive. We had a friend who was a retired nurse and she started CPR within just a couple minutes. The paramedics got a pulse back with defib, but he had been without sufficient oxygen too long, and he passed away in the hospital a few days later. Being close to a hospital did him absolutely no good.

Sounds like you are well placed. This situation really opened my eyes. I've often dreamed about that mountain top house....now not so much.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:08 AM

467 posts, read 106,202 times
For any of the places I have lived my entire life the answer would be "I don't know".

Old 06-16-2019, 01:13 PM

15,201 posts, read 8,513,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westegg View Post
Fire department is a mile away; hospital a 12 minute drive. Taco Bell is within walking distance.
(Subconscious?) priorities!

Old 06-16-2019, 01:45 PM

11,970 posts, read 5,106,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianstad View Post
e

My point is that where you live, where you have chosen to locate yourself may someday be a factor in your living and dying.

I'm not ideally located (high floor in a high rise a mile from the fire department) but my next location will be better situated so I have a fighting chance at survival.
Also, in all fairness there is a point where nowhere you live will make a bit of difference because we're all going to die at some point. Some people have heart attacks in hospitals and don't survive. This is something of a reality some people don't like to face.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:15 PM

6,063 posts, read 9,524,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
. . .

I think when itís your time to go, itís your time. I keep seeing posters here saying you need to live close to a world class hospital in retirement. I say live where you want and worry about what may never be needed.
Since our 'home' (travel trailer) may be anywhere we happen to be, I also subscribe to this philosophy of not letting risk dictate where and what you do. Mitigate risk, absolutely! But then don't let risk dictate the rest of your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or