U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 02:23 AM

12,683 posts, read 14,063,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Had an office mate that thought like that. Wouldn't go on vacation if he couldn't book a hotel within walking distance of a hospital. Everything he did was based on proximity to a hospital.

To each his own. That's not the type of life style I want to live.
I live one block from a hospital, but it is a happy accident. The most important thing was the home I was going to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 07:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,764 posts, read 54,390,602 times
The fire department is about 1/4 mile down the hill from us. The nearest full-service hospital is 3.5 miles away.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:48 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 16 days ago)

8,675 posts, read 10,831,402 times
Living rural I might take things into account like that, how far the distance is to a hospital, but not many other scenarios. Much depends on what the emergency is, the level of aptitude of the EMS, how good the ER doc is at the hospital and many other factors (the hospital's reputation, the nurses/docs on duty, condition and age, many factors to determine). No one can control all of these things or plan for them.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:53 AM

8,611 posts, read 9,674,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianstad View Post
I was recently at a suburban home where a medical emergency occurred.

The house, set back from the street was located on a dark, winding type lane, with other houses in similar settings nearby

It took several minutes (didn't time it) for the help to arrive and when they did it was too late, although many life saving attempts were made by the family before they arrived.

The terrible incident got me thinking about how critical is to live in fairly close proximity for medical help to promptly arrive and have a good hospital nearby, too.

Advice I've heard says to live as close as you can to your local fire department, close to a major research hospital in a town that has an international airport and you are well located.

It would take, maybe, five minutes for any emergency responders to get to my house. I didn't plan it that way but I have a HUGE medical complex, hospital, fire and police departments a mile or so from my house. My mom lived about the same distance from them, but another direction, and the couple of times I called for her they were there FAST. It helps to live in a small town where things like that are convenient.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:30 AM

2,591 posts, read 5,284,814 times
Maybe this should be the first information in a real estate listing. Distance to hospital first, then the fire department, somewhere down the page information about the number of bedrooms. Make space by skipping the stainless steel applicances part.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:47 PM

10,668 posts, read 21,340,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
It would take, maybe, five minutes for any emergency responders to get to my house. I didn't plan it that way but I have a HUGE medical complex, hospital, fire and police departments a mile or so from my house. My mom lived about the same distance from them, but another direction, and the couple of times I called for her they were there FAST. It helps to live in a small town where things like that are convenient.
We're also a few minutes from police, fire and the squad and are a little less then 15 minutes to the nearest hospital. I also have a fire hydrant out side of my house. My neighbors are lucky that I keep it shoveled out during the winter because I'm the only one in my development that does. I also make sure my sewer is clear during snow and rain unlike everyone else.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:22 PM

13,874 posts, read 7,386,288 times
I'm a 9 minute walk to the fire station. 911 to an EMT knocking on my door might be 5 minutes. The hospital is 3 miles. With lights & siren, maybe 5 minutes. The police station has always been a mile away but they're building a new one which is more like 10 minutes away. Crime tends to be centered on the mall and big box stores so the police station is moving to Mall Hell. The hydrant is ~300 feet.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:07 PM

1,028 posts, read 355,987 times
We have two homes, FD/EMT/PD all roll on any call per SOP. 2-5 minutes ETA either home

Old 06-18-2019, 10:49 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,811,263 times
I'm deep in Appalachia, from the paved road, 1/2 mile down a dirt road, up my driveway 1/2 mile up my mountain to my home. Fortunately I have a field close to the house for an air transport chopper to land...Just the way I like it. This type of transport to the hospital is typical in these parts, they're lined up at the hospital.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:54 PM

8,243 posts, read 11,104,689 times
I'm two minutes from our major hospital. One of the reasons I bought the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or