U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 08:06 PM

900 posts, read 793,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I don't care what they do to it. It's their house, not mine.
The house in which I grew up, and which was owned by my family for fifty years, was radically remodeled and upgraded, and expanded a bit. From the photos I've seen I really like it; it's only too bad they didn't improve on the original too-small windows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 08:22 PM

685 posts, read 157,221 times
All the trees that I planted (over 20) were chopped down. I never went back, but my grown kid’s friend was in the area for business & was able to take pics, plus I looked on Google satellite.

I lived there over 20 years but I was glad to be gone, and it wasn’t my house anymore.

Now, I don’t get attached to trees or anything else, so problem solved.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:39 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,832,017 times
Two houses ago we sold to someone who did absolutely nothing to the inside (or outside) except replace the fridge. They sold it 2 years after buying from us due to a divorce. Looking at the pix amazed me that they didn't even re-paint.

Last house we sold the people "just loved" everything, including the paint. A year later they sold it and moved 2 doors up to a larger house. I guess "just loved" is very subjective. Again, looking at the pictures of the listing they didn't do one thing to it, yet were asking $10k more than they paid us. Not sure what it actually sold for, though.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:28 PM

442 posts, read 280,788 times
My family had a vacation cabin from the time I was 2, where we spent summers (my folks were teachers) and other vacations. My folks improved it (minor details like indoor plumbing, electricity) when they retired, and lived there for 25 years. We were all invited there to a party a few years after my folks sold it. The new owners put in a deck with a hot tub! My brothers and I are jealous as heck. The only one who was a little upset about changes was my mother, and she didnít care what they did with the house, it was all about the gardens. She had loved her gardens. But it was a brief flicker, and she got over it. The land is always going to outlast those of us who think we own it.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:56 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,533,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

To a lot of us New Englanders, a Cape with natural cedar shakes is practically sacred. Houses are different throughout the country. Did the new owners "wreck" your house after they bought it?
We live in Connecticut, and vacation in Cape Cod and love the look you are describing. Our home had Cedar Shakes that were painted over just before our purchase, 5 years later, started to peel like crazy, repainting lasted a year, so we decided to Vinyl Side the house. We looked into Cedar Shake Vinyl, but the expense was to much, so went the standard route. To answer the original question, we totally remodeled our Townhouse prior to listing, new owners tore everything out, Wife was upset, I told her "As long as thier check cleared, let them have at it"

Old 06-17-2019, 05:21 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,141,280 times
We built our dream house in 2010. It was a passive solar design and bright and sunny. However, it was not a conducive location for retirement as it required too much driving for daily needs and could be isolating in the winter. We moved in closer to the metro area and to a walkable community. We loved our old house but it never felt like it could be our forever home. The detail of the house we built was extensively researched and carefully designed. However, it wasn't generic and it took awhile to find a buyer who appreciated the design. We don't plan on visiting our old house, understand the new owners will want to put their own stamp on it, and wish them well. They got a great house at a great value (a high quality house made with high-end materials) for substantially less than it cost to build. We enjoyed our home while we lived there but now are busy putting our own stamp on the 100 year old home in which we currently reside.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:26 AM

1,069 posts, read 805,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

After we sold it and came back for a sneak peek, the new owners were applying paint to the cedar shakes and making snide remarks about how it had never even been painted! From what I know (and I may not know much, lol) once you apply paint to the cedar, you have to keep doing it. So you have defeated one of the main purposes. But there they were on ladders, painting the beautiful naturally weathered cedar.

To a lot of us New Englanders, a Cape with natural cedar shakes is practically sacred. Houses are different throughout the country.

Did the new owners "wreck" your house after they bought it?

That is one of the reasons I "never look back" but I did make that mistake once before I moved away from 50 years of where my roots were (I'm a long way from 50 now

I drove past a lot of things that were a memory to me, one of them being my maternal grandmother's BIG old farmhouse that once sat on a 100 acres of dairy farm.

That was in 1998 and I still cannot unsee how very small grandma's farm house looked. Tiny two story box and both big sitting porches had been removed. The big old two story bank barn was gone. It was awful.

That was the only time in my life, I ever looked back and I'm still regretting it

FWIW, my younger brother now owns the small dairy farm our paternal grand parents bought when they came to this country. He hates change as much as I do and is trying his best to keep things status quo, Lollol.

The old bank barn is still standing thanks to repairs he occasionally has to make, the land is rented to a farming neighbor, the house has been rented to the same person for years, so things are still sort of the same

Old 06-17-2019, 05:29 AM

1,319 posts, read 642,453 times
My father built the house I grew up in. He took great pride in it. The yard was beautiful, with apple and plum trees. It had many rose bushes. In the end, he was sick, but still managed to take care of the yard and home. When we had to sell it, after my parents passed, it was sold to the son of someone I knew.
Well, after a couple of years I drove by, and couldn`t believe, how run down, it had become in a short amount of time. The beautiful trees, were hacked down, the rose bushes were half dead, and the yard was overgrown. My father would be so sad.....

Old 06-17-2019, 06:01 AM

4,788 posts, read 1,978,657 times
Nine out of then Italians who came to America came from the Mezzogiorno (the agricultural South). They loved growing things, and they looked at every open piece of land as a place to grow fruits and vegetables. I grew up with fig trees, pear trees, peach trees, and tomatoes that were larger than soft balls. My Father prepared the soil every Spring and by the time he sold his house there was three feet of top soil on the property.

The next guy who bought the house came from a culture that looks down on yard work and agriculture. They paved over the entire yard. The peach trees and pear trees are gone. They go to the store and buy tasteless peaches and pears from the Southern hemisohere.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:30 AM

2,066 posts, read 699,344 times
I'm in a house with a LOT of garden space. The previous owner was a past President of the local Garden Club. It's been a joy watching new perennial flowers that she planted come up every year but it took me almost 4 years to get a system to keep the weeds under control. (I don't like chemicals and basically spend about an hour a day hacking and pruning.) A tree in the front died; I think it wasn't getting enough precipitation one winter and needed extra watering. I've been planting a lot of native grasses- the local critters love them, they don't require pampering and they crowd out the weeds. I even put a bed of them where the tree was taken out. Slowly, I'm starting to feel like gardening is more than yanking weeds as I watch the things I've planted thrive and I hope the previous owners would be OK with what it looks like now. And I think they might be jealous of the enclosed back porch- previously screened in, now a 3-season room.

One horror story on this topic: there was a newspaper story about a couple who sold their house in Ridgewood, NJ, a VERY desirable town, excellent schools, relatively easy commute to NYC. This town had almost no room left for development. The house was the childhood home of the wife, with beautiful original woodwork and other high-quality features. The buyers made all the right noises, ooh-ing and aah-ing over all the good points of the house. Yes, they loved it and would cherish it. The sellers found out a few days before the closing that they were planning to tear it down and build a McMansion.

They were heartbroken- and there was nothing they could do. Nothing in the contracts required the buyers to keep the house intact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or