U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 08:59 AM

9,741 posts, read 7,022,649 times

Advertisements

GGuess as long as people vary so much in their tastes and preference, coupled with a sense of pride and ownership in a beloved home that's changing ownership, some ruffled feelings on the parts of the sellers are natural when the new owners make changes that fly in the face of the old owners, so to speak.

Though the best advice is to let go, and not take anything personally, knowing it's not your house anymore, I'd have to admit I'd be a little miffed at hearing derogatory remarks about my tastes or comments disparaging the way the property was maintained. But I'd have to chalk it up to "different strokes for different folks" and laugh it off.

That said, I've only been back to the area and drove by our last house one time, about 1.5 yrs after we sold it, though I've looked at aerial views of it on county property assessment sites a couple times since then. It doesn't look as though the new owners have made any changes to the outside, and those they did make are ones I might have made too had we stayed there. They redid the landscaping ( which needed doing), painted the house, and I think they replaced the windows (those REALLY needed replacing).

I have no idea what they did to the inside, I would imagine they redid the kitchen (it needed updating for sure), replaced the carpeting ( that also needed doing-those carpets needed to be burned!) But whatever else they did, we'll never know.

I know they must have done a lot to the inside, because apparently they threw all the construction debris, old carpeting and other stuff out onto the curb and called the county for a bulk trash pickup. Because the county waste called us about six months after the closing, to inform us that the amount of trash at that addressnwas at least three times too much for a county truck to pick up, and the county would not haul away the construction debris. My husband informed them that we were no longer rhe owners of that property, and to check with the property assessors site or wherever to find the new owners. And we had a good laugh over the whole thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 09:19 AM

7,595 posts, read 4,674,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
One horror story on this topic: there was a newspaper story about a couple who sold their house in Ridgewood, NJ, a VERY desirable town, excellent schools, relatively easy commute to NYC. This town had almost no room left for development. The house was the childhood home of the wife, with beautiful original woodwork and other high-quality features. The buyers made all the right noises, ooh-ing and aah-ing over all the good points of the house. Yes, they loved it and would cherish it. The sellers found out a few days before the closing that they were planning to tear it down and build a McMansion.
One wonders why the wife would sell her childhood home to begin with. Apparently she didn't cherish it all that much until she found out the buyers just wanted the land.

Quote:
They were heartbroken- and there was nothing they could do. Nothing in the contracts required the buyers to keep the house intact.

"Nothing they could do"? Seriously? It was the buyers' home to do with as they pleased.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:26 AM

2,066 posts, read 699,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
One wonders why the wife would sell her childhood home to begin with. Apparently she didn't cherish it all that much until she found out the buyers just wanted the land.

"Nothing they could do"? Seriously? It was the buyers' home to do with as they pleased.
I agree with you. I don't know if they sold because they wanted the money or because they were moving far away, but I'm sure they made a nice profit. It was a hot market, one in which prospective buyers would frequently write "love letters" with their offers, telling the seller about the family and how much they wanted the house, in the hopes that it would give them an edge. (I got one when I was selling, which included the career aspirations of the 3 grade-school age children.) So, she might have preferred to accept a slightly lower offer from someone planning to keep the house intact, and may have felt deceived.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:34 AM

6,544 posts, read 3,650,165 times
I recently saw news of a Frank Lloyd Wright house that was purchased only to be torn down for a McMansion or apartments. It was a smallish home, more like a guest house, that had already been physically moved to the lot once before. Maybe someone will move it again.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:44 AM

2,292 posts, read 2,675,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I recently saw news of a Frank Lloyd Wright house that was purchased only to be torn down for a McMansion or apartments. It was a smallish home, more like a guest house, that had already been physically moved to the lot once before. Maybe someone will move it again.
I'm confused. How can this house be moved again? You said it was torn down.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:56 AM

13,872 posts, read 7,381,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Somebody just said that it's boring in here, so I am bravely stepping up to the plate and it's with one of my pet peeves. When you have a house that you love and the new owner comes along and wrecks it. (Wrecking is subjective, but you know what I mean.)

My favorite house was an average sized Cape with a two car garage, unassuming but pretty. Had a large central chimney, and as the realtor said at the time, "It looks like it fell out of Cape Cod." Inside, it wasn't the most practical set up but it was pretty good--wish I still had it now with the optional downstairs bedroom--perfect retirement home.

I live in the land of cedar shingle capes. The other two houses on my private lane are capes. When I bought my house, it didn't match the neighborhood. The landscaping was a disaster.

I used to own a 3,500 square foot circa 1890 carriage house on an acre in a Boston suburb. It's now 7,000 square feet.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:17 AM

Default Great thread - loving the memories.

I'm really enjoying this thread and the trip down memory lane it evokes. I looked up several of my old houses. My favorite house that I ever lived in was the first one I'll share a link to. I absolutely LOVED this house, but not the location. I don't like snow and cold weather and this house is in Troy, OH, which has a fair amount of snow and ice in the winter, which I just really don't care for. Now, I live at the beach in SC and love the weather here.

Anyway, this favorite house of mine isn't for sale, so you can't see pictures of the inside, which I would really love to see. But you can see the outside. It's a gorgeous historical home with a lot of history. There's a huge mansion on the corner of the street - 2 doors down, that was owned by a wealthy person who had about 9 children. That mansion was converted into a B & B, but is no longer open as such. I'm not sure what's going on with the mansion now.

Anyway, the original owner of the mansion built houses for two of his daughters that were next door to each other and to the mansion. I owned one of the daughter's houses and the next door one was owned by people who we got to be good friends with.

Here's a link to the house I owned, but like I said, there are only pictures of the outside. It's so bittersweet for me to see these pictures. The house number next to the front door was given to me by mother, who has since died. The pool house out back still has the paint that I painted it. It's white with dark green and dark reddish contrast. The main house is also white, but has pink and light green contrast colors, which I don't care for at all. My ex chose those colors and I think they don't look very good on that house. Here's a link to my old house if anyone would care to take a look:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...4926751_zpid/?

Here's a link to my former next door neighbor's house:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...4922279_zpid/?

There are a lot of pictures, both inside and out. It's really a shame what the newer owners did to that house. My former neighbor was an interior designer and when she lived there it was truly a show piece. She painted and decorated it and it was truly so lovely when she lived there. The newer owners redid just about everything and I think it looks awful! At least the newer owners didn't paint over any of the gorgeous quarter sawn oak - that would truly be tragic in my eyes.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I live in the land of cedar shingle capes. The other two houses on my private lane are capes. When I bought my house, it didn't match the neighborhood. The landscaping was a disaster.

I used to own a 3,500 square foot circa 1890 carriage house on an acre in a Boston suburb. It's now 7,000 square feet.
I love that little house you posted a picture of. I think it looks perfect and the landscaping, too. Did you do all of that?

Old 06-17-2019, 10:26 AM

6,544 posts, read 3,650,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I'm confused. How can this house be moved again? You said it was torn down.
The owners have filed a demolition request. It can still be moved off the lot if someone has the ability. I suspect it will be demolished.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The owners have filed a demolition request. It can still be moved off the lot if someone has the ability. I suspect it will be demolished.
Thanks for your reply. I misunderstood and thought it had already been torn down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or