U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 04:45 PM

2,292 posts, read 2,675,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I wrote all of the checks.

I bought the knockout roses, hydrangeas, sky pencil holly, and green giant arborvitae on the internet and planted them myself. I also reseeded the lawn after what the excavator put down didn't take.

My girlfriend has a masters degree in landscape design from a good school though she has a health care industry job to pay the bills. I've been informed that I made unfortunate choices. Endless summer hydrangeas and knockout roses aren't pollinators. I'm supposed to be feeding the bees and hummingbirds. The arborvitae is too big for the house as are the hydrangeas. I now mow the grass and dig holes wherever she points. I'm the muscle of this operation. LOL
Well, I think it looks wonderful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 06:54 PM

19,821 posts, read 18,826,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
The new owners of the farmhouse I grew up in turned it into a cutesy little Pinterest version of a farmhouse rather than the authentic farmhouse it had been. The barns, chicken houses, and milk house were torn down, the fields were rented out to mobile homes, and the orchard has maybe one tree left standing. They put out cute little pretend wheelbarrows here and there, and a painted plywood cow in the yard. gag

Fake, fake, fake.
Ew, sounds awful. Little pretend wheelbarrows and a painted plywood cow? Fake is right and you knew it when it was real.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:25 AM

4,651 posts, read 3,235,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Ew, sounds awful. Little pretend wheelbarrows and a painted plywood cow? Fake is right and you knew it when it was real.

A woman I know bought a bunch of rooster stencils and put them on the wall near the ceiling in her kitchen. She just loved them.

You can probably guess what I thought.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:40 AM

6,564 posts, read 8,091,974 times
They did not change or wreck your house, they did what they did to their house. You sold it, it is no longer yours. What you think looks good or works does not matter what the new owner thinks or does is his business. Look forward not backward and let it go or determine why you sold this house you still seem to think is yours. The problem is you not the new owner.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:28 AM

479 posts, read 398,972 times
Yeah, we know. The thread is still fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
They did not change or wreck your house, they did what they did to their house. You sold it, it is no longer yours. What you think looks good or works does not matter what the new owner thinks or does is his business. Look forward not backward and let it go or determine why you sold this house you still seem to think is yours. The problem is you not the new owner.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:45 AM

1,099 posts, read 816,779 times
Many of the new owners in my development cut down all of the large trees on their lots. The development was originally heavily wooded. Cutting down large healthy trees is just stupid to me.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:52 AM

10,666 posts, read 21,336,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I grew up in a small 1950 cape cod that was never updated afterwards because my dad didn't have the interest and my mom didn't have the money. I sold in it the mid 1990s after my parents died, and the new owners completely redid it: added a full second floor, new siding, landscaping, etc. It went from being the most "meh" house on the block to the largest and nicest. I was happy to see that because it was just like the fairy tale of the ugly duckling becoming a swan. I do occasionally check the MLS listings in that town because I would like to walk through it once again just to see what the rooms look like now.

The new owners of my first 'owned' house made a few changes, mostly to the flooring and redid the main bathroom which sorely needed it. Both big improvements. Also redid the kitchen which IMHO was less successful but I admit it was dated by the time I sold the house. Did not like what they did with the landscaping but could understand it because as a plantsperson my garden was labor-intensive and the new owners didn't have the time or inclination for such. I did go to one of the open houses when it was put up for sale. Because I had more bad memories than good ones in that house, I went partly out of curiosity but partly to exorcise old ghosts, so to speak.

The buyer of my second owned house still owns it so no idea what she has done with the inside but she ripped out every bit of the garden I had created over a five-year span from scratch and many backbreaking hours. That was tough to see via drive-bys and Google.

Then-husband and I built a house that we ended up never living in, sold it in 2002 and it came up for sale again last year. The buyers had changed almost EVERY room in the house except for one bedroom even though it was literally a brand new home when they bought it. I was particularly shocked that they ripped out the kitchen which had cost us a small fortune including high end appliances like SubZero and Wolf. They absolutely lost money on the house when they sold it because the landscaping alone (house only had grass and foundation plantings when we sold) surely cost them almost as much as they paid for house (pro landscaped 2 acres with mature trees, huge inground pool, spa, outdoor kitchen, tennis court, etc. several hundred thousand easily.) I had no emotional attachment to that house so was only surprised that they bought it in the first splace if they'd disliked everything THAT much, lol.

I had to sell the "love of my life" house six years ago and cried after the closing. I'd updated that house top to bottom and again made a gorgeous garden from scratch. Buyers put it on the market after only 3 years, no idea why, and I went to an open house because I wanted to walk through "my" house one more time. They had changed NOTHING ... didn't repaint or even fill the little holes in the walls where my pictures once were! It was weird. The only thing different was the furniture (which was also a little weird.) It was like the house had been in suspended animation for three years. Very strange. It's in the same town where my son lives and I would (and still do) drive past it often on purpose. I do wonder what the new owners are doing with it (nothing changed yet on the outside.) That one will always be "my house" though, probably till the day I die.

My best friend created a fantastic garden at the house she sold in the late 1990s. New owners ripped every bit of it out in favor of an inground pool and concrete patio. Even tore down her attached greenhouse. She bigtime regretted not taking most of the plants and shrubs with her but didn't want to "denude" the property. Then the new owners did that bigtime, with a backhoe. So my philosophy now is "when you move, take the plants!" lol
Before we moved 11 years ago, my old garden had 200 roses and double that of perennials, iris and daylilies which I collected harder to find varieties. We dug the 200 roses, I did have a few I left that were easy care roses. I also left a few perennials but took everything else.

My father lived 7 blocks from me. His house was new in 2006. His gardens match my gardens but he had better roses that were left. I really wanted to dig them out to take with me but my mother and I weren't speaking after my dad passed. I lost my beautiful rose bird bath and a glider bench too. His new owners have left his gardens which made me very happy. There is a purple crepe myrtle that I grew from a little branch that my online friend from Georgia had given me. The house went into foreclosure and bought so I'm curious to see what the new owners will do. I was thinking of sending them a letter about the gardens.

Back to my house. The new owners ripped out my oval garden that was in the middle of the lawn. One neighbor leaves trees grow that started from seeds. The buyer of my house does the same. It's starting to look like a jungle like the house next door.

I have pics on Zillow and the house should be available on google street view.

My dads house on Zillow. The dogwood tree on the front right was from his old house. I wish I took his mailbox too which I had painted for him. I took mine lol

Last edited by Roselvr; 06-18-2019 at 07:46 AM..

Old 06-18-2019, 06:56 AM

2,731 posts, read 871,625 times
About 20 years ago, we sold our house and recently I drove by it and was shocked. They painted it some ungodly peach color and have dolphin wall plaques on the front entryway. It looked like a fun house.

Not that it affects me in any way, but I still think it looks horrible.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:51 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,106,269 times
The house flippers had zero taste and they painted a light brown wood house, black and white! Then they cut down all the large Agave's growing around and pulled out all the plants in the front garden! They left only 3 trees/bushes in the whole front yard. They were 2 palms, one low and squatty, one tall and the main center large gorgeous tree that gave you relief from the Texas sun and shaded the whole front yard and top of the house.

Then the new owners bought this ugly disgusting mess and a year later cut down the large tree in front! Sick! Sad and stupid! Hope they are enjoying the super high electric bills in the summer!

Old 06-18-2019, 08:44 AM

1,629 posts, read 557,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Many of the new owners in my development cut down all of the large trees on their lots. The development was originally heavily wooded. Cutting down large healthy trees is just stupid to me.
Well, sometimes the tree is healthy but in a bad place (such as too close to the house and posing a real threat.) I stayed at my son's house during Superstorm Sandy because we were concerned that my house would be 'cut off' from access due to flooding. While I was resting in one of the bedrooms after the power went out, the upper part of a 50-ft tall oak tree came crashing down through the roof on the other side of the wall, less than 3 feet from where I was lying in bed. The force of the impact shook the entire house and scared the youknowwhat out of everybody - especially me!

One thing you do NOT want to see is an oak tree lying horizontally inside any part of your house, trust me. And if by cutting down a tree you can avoid that scenario completely, then I say Do It. No apologies.

By the way, since Katrina and Sandy some homeowners insurance companies are making the removal of "high risk" trees a condition of placing or continuing coverage. I know two people who ran into that scenario in the last few years. The company wrote the policy initially but when they sent someone out for the usual drive-by/inspection the homeowners were told that if certain trees were not removed the insurance coverage would be cancelled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or