U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 03:34 PM

6,212 posts, read 4,715,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post

.......It's been proven over and over that regular church/synagogue attendees live longer than those who do not attend.

I have no idea if this is correct but I can't help but think of the quote from Socrates: "the unexamined life is not worth leading." That fits my perspective but that is a minority opinion. In fact soon after Socrates uttered this he was found guilty of impiety and sentenced to death. In fairness I should mention another quote which supports your views. "Ignorance is bliss." It could be that blissful people are healthier and live longer.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:41 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,096,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post

I'm retired for almost 11 years and not depressed or unhappy. I learned to make the best of work and enjoyed it, earned and saved enough not to have any money problems in retirement, and have been married for 45 years and enjoy it also. Have 3 kids and 6 grandkids, two of whom I never see. Life hasn't been a bowl of cherries, but there's cherries a plenty if you work for them.

Well said-- well said.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:46 PM

1,632 posts, read 557,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
It's been proven over and over that regular church/synagogue attendees live longer than those who do not attend.
This claim piqued my curiosity and so I looked into it to see when and where the data may have come from.

One study came out in 2016:

Researchers looked at data on nearly 75,000 middle-age female nurses in the United States as part of the Nurses' Health Study. The participants answered questions about whether they attended religious services regularly every four years between 1992 and 2012, and about other aspects of their lives over the years.

The researchers found that women who went to church more than once a week had a 33% lower risk of dying during the study period compared with those who said they never went. Less-frequent attendance was also associated with a lower risk of death, as women who attended once a week or less than weekly had 26% and 13% lower risk of death, respectively. Women who regularly attended religious services also had higher rates of social support and optimism, had lower rates of depression and were less likely to smoke. However, the researchers took into account these differences between churchgoers and non-churchgoers when they calculated the decrease in death rates of 13% to 33%.

However, the study also had certain limitations. For example:

Most of the women in the study were Protestant or Catholic, so it is not clear whether a similar association would be found between religious service attendance and longevity for people of other Christian religions, Judaism or Islam.

The study also did not explore the association in men. Previous research suggests that male churchgoers also benefit, though their decrease in death rate is not as large as among women.

There is also this:

"There have been literally thousands of studies" looking at whether religion is good for your health, said Dr. Dan German Blazer II, professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Duke University Medical Center. The findings have been mixed about whether aspects of religious devotion such as prayer and spirituality -- such as reading the Bible or other religious literature -- improve longevity. "The one (aspect) that is significantly more predictive of good health is about religious service attendance," said Blazer, who wrote an editorial about the new study in the same issue of JAMA Internal Medicine.

The suggestion that attending religious services regularly could boost longevity has met with some criticism in the field. Other researchers have pointed out that the relationship could be due to other factors, such as the possibility that healthier people are more likely to go to church, perhaps because they are more mobile.

The main strength of the current study is that the researchers were able to look at whether participants reported attending religious services at several points over many years, making it easier to find out which came first, religious activity or disease and health outcomes, Blazer said. Nevertheless, Blazer warns that it is important not to make too much of the new findings. "This study does not suggest that clinicians prescribe attending religious services as a way to be more healthy," he said.

The above objective summation does not support the claim that "it's been proven over and over that regular church attendees live longer." The subject may have been studied over and over, but a cause and effect relationship has absolutely NOT been proven.

As a person who once worked in a scientific field, it is particularly irksome to me to see people either claiming or believing that "studies prove" something when the correct interpretation is "studies suggest." There is a world of difference between suggested and proven. The former is a possibility (and in some cases might be a probability or even a strong probability); but the latter is a fact. Even a strong probability is still NOT a proven fact.

Okay, off my soapbox now.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 06-17-2019 at 05:08 PM..

Old 06-17-2019, 05:09 PM

13,313 posts, read 25,542,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I have no idea if this is correct but I can't help but think of the quote from Socrates: "the unexamined life is not worth leading." That fits my perspective but that is a minority opinion. In fact soon after Socrates uttered this he was found guilty of impiety and sentenced to death. In fairness I should mention another quote which supports your views. "Ignorance is bliss." It could be that blissful people are healthier and live longer.
I think people might be less stressed if they buy a package of belief that purports to tell them how things are and how they work. What I don't get is how they deal with the cognitive dissonance when things don't work that way, the gymnastics that are performed to explain events.

I always think of the guy in Oklahoma, saying to the TV reporter, "Thanks to our Lord and Savior, Jesus, my house and family was saved from the tornado!" while his berefit neighbor stands next to his shattered house in the background. Then I wonder if the first man has to find a reason why his neighbor was clobbered and he wasn't. Then you can get some of the meanest answers in the world.

Just realized that this might be too off-topic. I'm sure a mod will tell me.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:15 PM

2,066 posts, read 699,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
The suggestion that attending religious services regularly could boost longevity has met with some criticism in the field. Other researchers have pointed out that the relationship could be due to other factors, such as the possibility that healthier people are more likely to go to church, perhaps because they are more mobile.
Yeah, this has always been my objection to studies such as this. As people become sicker they go out less. Period.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:06 PM

2,030 posts, read 857,321 times
Well you can be grateful for all the good things and be grateful the bad wasn't worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think people might be less stressed if they buy a package of belief that purports to tell them how things are and how they work. What I don't get is how they deal with the cognitive dissonance when things don't work that way, the gymnastics that are performed to explain events.

I always think of the guy in Oklahoma, saying to the TV reporter, "Thanks to our Lord and Savior, Jesus, my house and family was saved from the tornado!" while his berefit neighbor stands next to his shattered house in the background. Then I wonder if the first man has to find a reason why his neighbor was clobbered and he wasn't. Then you can get some of the meanest answers in the world.

Just realized that this might be too off-topic. I'm sure a mod will tell me.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:10 PM

5,682 posts, read 8,749,928 times
Quote:
Religious groups, to survive, must develop the group cohesiveness. They must distinguish themselves from those not in the same group, but they consider others to be wrong and often outright enemies.
This may be true in some cases but it is by no means prevalent in the US. You don't have to look hard to find ecumenical groups and the outpouring of care when one church/mosque/temple etc. faces a tragedy can be amazing.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,527 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Well you can be grateful for all the good things and be grateful the bad wasn't worse.
or... (more specific) Be grateful (Thankful) IN ALL things...

Tough sell for me if attending a 'worship' (?) service that is spewing 110dB music (?)

This should improve as my hearing diminishes.

The neighbor that got clobbered by storm may also be thankful (some are able to respond that way). Hurrah for them and their neighbors.

BTW: God did not CAUSE the storm, nor DIRECT it to one neighbor vs. another... stuff happens (Ask Job, he got a pretty bum deal). Run the options here... BOTH neighbors can use this for good / ministry, growth, service, example to others. (Hope the 'clobbered guy' had storm insurance, as should most Churches / even very religious and upright individuals. (good idea!)). If not... more opportunity to grow . (and support local economy, and accept the FREE gifts or others (Some 'religious based' disaster recovery groups (or other NGO's) will rebuild for FREE / donations).

We grow much DEEPER from adversity, than blessings (don't ask me why... or how I know that... or how many more times it will take to learn that).

Old 06-17-2019, 11:19 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,054,817 times
Like our careers, church attendance and all it entailed -including bible studies which we taught for a decade or so - are artifacts of another era.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:48 AM

1,762 posts, read 561,837 times
Nope, never. I was quite religious during my youth but no longer believe in anything supernatural, so no reason to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement