Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 08:16 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,812,731 times

Advertisements

In retirement, do you go to church/synagogue/mosque?

Nope.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:23 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,683,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Interesting- that's certainly not why DH and I joined or why I still attend- but I put a lot of time into planning his funeral (he was cremated and the funeral was a couple of months later after the Christmas holidays) and it really meant a lot to me and to our fellow church members who all knew and loved him. (He was famous for baking cookies for the coffee hour.)

OTOH, my parents belonged to a very large church for decades and when my mother died I wasn't impressed with the funeral. It followed Roman Catholic traditions but the priest lacked warmth (al he could offer was a wooden "I'm sorry for your loss") and clearly didn't know Mom so his homily was vague, and the soloist was mediocre. Dad said it wasn't one of their usual musicians and he'd never seen her before. Really unfortunate, but the gathering of family and friends afterwards was meaningful.
I am so sorry that you had to bury both your parents AND your husband. That's tough. I hope you are doing well since the death of your husband -- you seem to be.

I was a hospice volunteer, off and on, for 17 years. I quit in my early 60s, because dying and death started to hit too close to home. I'm laughing -- but I'm serious -- I started seeing my future in my patients.

As for marriage -- I divorced my second husband over 20 years ago. And as strange as it may seem (I do have men friends -- FRIENDS -- by the way), I've always been grateful that I've never had another serious love relationship/marriage, since my second divorce, because I simply can't imagine losing a beloved spouse. I've lost a daughter and too many friends -- that was more than enough grieving for me.

(A bit of humor?): I had a good friend, who is now dead, who always used to say, with a laugh, "At our age, we HAVE to keep making new friends, because the old ones keep dying!")

Old 06-16-2019, 08:25 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,698,838 times
We go twice a year as always, Christmas and Easter. When my kids were younger, we did go more often. I’m not as religious as my husband was, I just tagged along for support, but lately he is less enamored with the church with all the sex scandals and stuff. And some church can get real political and preachy.
With that said, one of my kids is a frequent church goer and she volunteers for the church quite a bit. It’s good to know that she found something to help deal with things in life, hence she is doing really well with her business. So we go to her church twice a year, both to see her and also because that’s where we may meet somebody she knows. We don’t know the people at the local church anymore.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:26 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,683,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I came from a Christian family and was the only black sheep of the family, a alcoholic for 20 years and now sober for 36 years.
I started back at church 15 years ago and am now a believer and love church. Some people use any little excuse to not go to church but I look forward to it. And am hurrying to type as I will get dressed and leave as soon as done here.
All my friends and pretty well everybody I know now in retirement is a Christian. I go to a big church Sat. night, a different big church Sunday, Tuesday morning a 125 people senors group at one of those churches, Friday morning bulletin stuffing at the same church, a big social event for us senors. I have a lot of friends ans social support and love it.
Congratulations on your sobriety. HUGE congratulations. I've never been an alcoholic (my addiction is smoking), but one of my sons and my sister have been life-long alcoholics, and I know how difficult it is to make that first step and stay with it. I wish you THE VERY BEST.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:32 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,128,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
In retirement, do you attend church/synagogue/mosque, and do you attend frequently, somewhat regularly, rarely or not at all? And why do you or don't you?....
I would except there is no meeting place near me, only one several hundred km to the north of me. I have followed their development over the years and have contributed regularly though. Thus, any sit-down time with my religion has been a solitary habit for the past twenty years, which I do once or twice a day for about forty minutes. However, as group meetings are rather like those of the Friends/Quakers, i.e. silent, being alone with it is not a dramatic deprivation.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:44 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,030,947 times
Nope. I was raised Catholic but became an atheist at around age 13 and the only time I've been inside a church or other religious structure since then was on a couple of European vacations, out of historical interest (such as Westminster Abbey and St. Paul's in London, and Notre Dame in Paris.) I avoid religious ceremonies whenever I can; I think the last church wedding I attended was in the 1970s when my then-husband's brother got married for the second time. T-H was the best man so I couldn't get out of attending that one, LOL.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:51 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,698,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Nope. I was raised Catholic but became an atheist at around age 13 and the only time I've been inside a church or other religious structure since then was on a couple of European vacations, out of historical interest (such as Westminster Abbey and St. Paul's in London, and Notre Dame in Paris.) I avoid religious ceremonies whenever I can; I think the last church wedding I attended was in the 1970s when my then-husband's brother got married for the second time. T-H was the best man so I couldn't get out of attending that one, LOL.
I love old churches in Europe btw, even as a non religious person.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:27 AM

50,138 posts, read 63,564,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Interesting -- The Pew Foundation did a poll/survey about 20 years ago, and it found that the No. 1 reason people attend church is so that there will be someone to officiate and attend their funeral. Social connections was second. I forget what the third was. The fourth reason was "worshiping God".
Understandable. As a Protestant, I do not need to be in a church to worship God, I have my faith with me all the time. I think perhaps this concept is more foreign to Catholics, who are spoon fed everything by the priests.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:16 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,631,200 times
I donate to our local church when they ask for help to support fire victims, but in general I have found the church to be just group think protecting their own ideas, so I keep them at arm's length. Sad, as they helped my dad who died at the age of 31 after a life of health problems. I have a photo of him as a teenager in an old style wheel chair at the Catholic hospital, it looks like a board with wheels under it. That could not have been comfortable for him but from what Grandma said, the sisters were very good to him.

Like some other posters, I think the values taught in our churches are important to community social structure but they have become too political and money driven.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:17 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,606,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Retirement has not affected my church attendance.
I would think this is pretty much the case. The fact that one has retired likely doesn't play a role in one's religious views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.