U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 08:48 AM

5,656 posts, read 4,875,766 times

Advertisements

I grew up around death,
one 18 month old brother died of pneumonia, one 7 years old hit by a car , an uncle died in a car accident and friends and relatives died of various other things .as a child I went to funerals every few months and on top of that my dad had worked for a mortician a few years and our families were interconnected . The church we attended had a lot of older folk as well I had some dear friendships with who eventually all passed away. My parents are gone and finally my wife passed away just a few years ago. Currently I have a good friend that is not doing well .
I have had events of my own that were especially close calls God spared me through, but I know full well I could have been taken at any time.
Not at all afraid of death and secure in my relationship with God through Jesus Christ . I don't tempt God living carelessly, I'm not afraid of the unknown I have been lead into from time to time .
The Lord is my shepherd ,He provides me all that I need...…………..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 09:01 AM

1,942 posts, read 2,708,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Fran66: Thank you for sharing your story. You have been through more than anyone should go through. But it's my belief those experiences serve a greater purpose. I personally have a deep faith in God and believe he was there for you in all those difficult times.
I have a great deal of respect for people who are religious and for their beliefs. I am agnostic, and I have been one since I was 20 (I'm 70 now). But I was raised in a devout Catholic home and want to a great Catholic grade school -- and I loved being Catholic -- but college kinda changed that. :-) Anyway, since I was 13 I've had a very hard time believing that God protects some people, for whatever reasons, and doesn't protect others. There is no proof that 'God' exists and no proof that 'God' doesn't exist. I do tend to think 'something' great exists because ALL of life is such a miracle -- from the smallest atom to the whole of The Universe. In fact, to be honest, I was an atheist until I was about 40. At that time I went back to college just for fun, to take some science courses. I fell in love with all the sciences (I've been an avid reader/follower of them since then to this day -- on a very elementary level, of course), and I came to realize that (1) everything is a miracle; and (2) that there is absolutely no proof that our universe/earth/ourselves came from some 'random accident'. I do believe in The Big Bang -- I just tend to think 'someone/something' with intelligence -- something that we can't begin to comprehend and never will -- initiated it.

As for the experiences in my life serving a greater purpose -- I'm not a masochist -- I could have done without them. There is just so much suffering in this world -- my life has been a walk in the park compared to most -- and no one -- no one -- has been able to come up with The Answer as to why that is. A factual, scientific answer. Not just a belief. I want a real factual scientific answer.

Ok, I'm gone for most of the day. Lucky City Data Forum! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Old 06-19-2019, 11:04 AM

1,823 posts, read 780,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
If you are afraid, why are you? If you aren't, why aren't you? And (just an example): if tomorrow you were diagnosed with, say, Stage 4 lung cancer, to what lengths would you go to stay alive?

Lastly, do you believe in Physician-Assisted Suicide?

My recent PCP -- a geriatrician who is 65 and who recently retired -- thinks that everyone 75+ should be allowed to avail themselves of P-A Suicide for any reason whatsoever, because he says that, for the majority of us, life starts to get very difficult between age 75 and 80.

My ex-BF, who I'm still in contact with, is 82 and an Ombudsman in another very populous state/county. A few years ago when he started to volunteer, he was astounded that the vast majority of people in assisted-living/nursing homes were (and are) younger than he was!

My research -- and experience (I am living in my third 55+ retirement community in the past 10 years) -- is that, yes, we are living a bit longer but we're not living better. As some physician said recently (sorry -- I can't remember who nor can I remember who said it): "Modern medicine won't prolong your life but it will prolong your dying."

So to start if off: No, I'm not afraid of death. Dying -- that's another story because dying tends to be unnecessarily painful in The US. Secondly, I am a big fan of P-A Suicide. Thirdly, I think anyone 75 and over should be able to check out (be allowed P-A Suicide) for any reason whatsoever.
No, I am not afraid of dying but I don't like the thought of not living. If I had stage 4 lung cancer or for that matter any cancer for which treatment is really only prolonging certain death with drastic changes in quality of life then I would just accept it and not have any treatments and enjoy life while I can. If I had a cancer that could be cured with a short term quality of life change then I would accept treatment.

I do believe in Physician Assisted Suicide but not for life becoming difficult. Life is always difficult. That doctor concerns me. Is he going to treat me for something that can be fixed or is he going to say oh,you are over 75 and life is difficult maybe you should end life. I believe in PAS for cases where death is something that will happen soon (you have cancer with no cure) and you are under great pain.

FWIW I am living in a community while not a 55+ has a lot of geriatric residents. You would be amazed and surprised at the ages of some of these people and what they do for activities. When we moved here it changed our impression of what getting old means. It certainly doesn't mean sitting in a rocking chair waiting to die.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
No, I am not afraid of dying but I don't like the thought of not living. If I had stage 4 lung cancer or for that matter any cancer for which treatment is really only prolonging certain death with drastic changes in quality of life then I would just accept it and not have any treatments and enjoy life while I can. If I had a cancer that could be cured with a short term quality of life change then I would accept treatment.

I do believe in Physician Assisted Suicide but not for life becoming difficult. Life is always difficult. That doctor concerns me. Is he going to treat me for something that can be fixed or is he going to say oh,you are over 75 and life is difficult maybe you should end life. I believe in PAS for cases where death is something that will happen soon (you have cancer with no cure) and you are under great pain.

FWIW I am living in a community while not a 55+ has a lot of geriatric residents. You would be amazed and surprised at the ages of some of these people and what they do for activities. When we moved here it changed our impression of what getting old means. It certainly doesn't mean sitting in a rocking chair waiting to die.
I am living in my third 55+ community in the past 10 years -- I kept moving because I thought that the next community would be better than the previous one. Was I wrong. Anyway, what I've learned is that old people, who started taking care of themselves in their 20s -- or even 40s -- or those few who just have great genes -- tend to do much better in old age. They tend to live healthier and longer. But what REALLY tends to make a big difference in retirement is money. One doesn't have to be rich but one does have to have much more than even just enough money. Enough money not to have to worry about it and to be able to play with. They also can afford to get more and better healthcare in retirement/old age. Some of the people I live with are barely making it; and the lack of enough money has SUCH a detrimental effect, mentally and even physically. Poor old people tend to die younger than old people who are better off financially. (I KNOW how 'superficial' this may seem but, whether or not we like it, money makes a difference in our lives and health.)

Old 06-19-2019, 07:09 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,252,670 times
I don't know if I'm so much afraid of death as I am of dying--because you don't know HOW it will happen and how easy or tough it will be. I think that would much rather be living so maybe that is it

If I had stage IV lung cancer? Oh this sounds awful but I would absolutely would have offed myself well beforehand. My aunt (mom's side) died from lung cancer and then my mom's first cousin died from lung cancer about 10 years later. It is a horrible, horrible way to die. If you are lucky a quick heart attack will take you out like it did my mom's uncle who also had the disease before you can really suffer with it. I support people's informed right to decide to die with dignity if they wish to.

I haven't noticed that people who are 65+ seem to be doing badly in terms of health or in assisted living. It seems to be the opposite; the older people seem to be more active and it's the younger group that are more sedentary. My mom (75) goes walking daily with a group of women and men around her own age daily; the ages in her group range from mid 60's to early 80's. Based on my observations overall it seems like more seniors are staying active and healthy longer vs say 10 or 20 years ago.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:18 AM

256 posts, read 153,752 times
When I go and if I get to Heaven and try to meet someone,
I will be told they are " busy".
Because everyone everywhere is busy, it seems.
And I am tired of hearing it.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
I agree with you. 100%.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:05 PM

4,651 posts, read 3,235,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
AND FRAN66:

i feel the same way. Everyone is busy with family, friends, etc. I don't have anyone who is interested in doing same activities I like and they do things I'm not interested in. It makes for a solitary, lonely life.

I have no bright ideas to change this.

Last edited by volosong; 06-22-2019 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: fix hypertag

Old 06-22-2019, 02:40 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,440,325 times
No. I consider it the next great adventure.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:18 AM

3,801 posts, read 2,012,496 times
No. You die. You get reborn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or