U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 06:11 PM

1,942 posts, read 2,708,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyrebel View Post
I want to go to Heaven but, I don't want to go today.
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLL

I understand. I feel similarly. I'm not afraid of death, but I'm not ready to check out any time soon. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 06:16 PM

Looking back, my OP should have been "Are you afraid of death" or "Are you afraid of dying and death". But it worked out very well anyway.

Thanks to the vast majority of you who wrote honest, intelligent posts. It's been very interesting to me. I've learned a lot. Thank you again. And I wish you all a quick and painless end (when the time comes, of course -- and I certainly don't mean any time soon LOL).

Old 06-16-2019, 08:21 PM

6,063 posts, read 9,520,860 times
I've watched two female relatives live long into their nineties. They were both hoping to die in their sleep for many years before they did.

My medical people sometimes, when we're talking about treatments, ask me now long I hope to live. I now have an answer.

I would be glad to live to 89. Anything past that, not so much - in fact I pretty much would rather not. From what I've seen, it's just years of tedium.

But that's just my family and my possible future. I have also read of people late into their nineties who are still active and loving life.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:33 PM

1,048 posts, read 512,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I am apprehensive about the manner of my death, but the thought of being dead is not frightening.

As for the example, Stage 4 lung cancer...given what I have seen first hand and heard from others, I would commit suicide. I have a suicide "kit" and I would use it.

Yes. But I would not care for a system that required the person to be in a medical facility or have a physician sit with you until you were dead. I would want to be with a loved on, or alone in my own home.
I had a 68 year old friend get diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. Pleural effusions constantly, tumors in both lungs, multiple Mets to the brain, and Mets to the spine. Too weak to get out of bed.

Anyone inclined to do a little research knew this was the the end. Unfortunately the oncologist sugar coated it and she had brain radiation and a couple rounds of chemo before she died a few weeks later. What an injustice.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:35 AM

780 posts, read 795,920 times
I do not want to die. I'm 70 and still feel like I'm 40.
I was born late in life and witnessed so many deaths throughout my young life and now in my old life. Each was different most had a tremendous effect on me.

I am not religious and do not believe in heaven. When you die, you die. Its over.

I have children and grandchildren I'd like to see grow up. I love my children. Why would I want to go? I think if I were diagnosed with terminal cancer, I would like some care, but not enough to cause my death.

I saw family members in hospice which drugged them up that I believe they died from all the drugs they were on.

I hope I die quickly. I hope I don't know I'm dying. That happened to my mother. She was 76 and doing the Irish *** on New Years at a party and had a stroke. She lived in a coma for a month before she died. Shocking to me as she was healthy as a horse, but died as she hoped. Quickly.

I miss her every day. I am sad she never saw her grandchildren grow up and so many things that have happened since her death.

I envy religious people who believe in an afterlife. I do not at all. I know when you die we are gone.

So, it seems I'm the only one who is terrified of dying.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:26 AM

38 posts, read 13,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
LOL! Thank heavens someone finally answered "yes".

I only answer no to that question when I'm dealing with it theoretically in thoughtful conversation. (In other words, when I'm denying it to appear wise.)

In the middle of the night when I can't sleep and my mind circles around some imagined but surely fatal malady... then it's pretty damn scary.

Mostly I just love being alive. I'd really hate to not be that. Of course when I am not that, I probably won't care... about anything at all.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
I do not want to die. I'm 70 and still feel like I'm 40.
I was born late in life and witnessed so many deaths throughout my young life and now in my old life. Each was different most had a tremendous effect on me.

I am not religious and do not believe in heaven. When you die, you die. Its over.

I have children and grandchildren I'd like to see grow up. I love my children. Why would I want to go? I think if I were diagnosed with terminal cancer, I would like some care, but not enough to cause my death.

I saw family members in hospice which drugged them up that I believe they died from all the drugs they were on.

I hope I die quickly. I hope I don't know I'm dying. That happened to my mother. She was 76 and doing the Irish *** on New Years at a party and had a stroke. She lived in a coma for a month before she died. Shocking to me as she was healthy as a horse, but died as she hoped. Quickly.

I miss her every day. I am sad she never saw her grandchildren grow up and so many things that have happened since her death.

I envy religious people who believe in an afterlife. I do not at all. I know when you die we are gone.

Kudos to you and Jessie for being honest and not just going along with the majority.

Of course there is nothing 'wrong' at all about not wanting to die. I know I can't say that I want to die. I think that everyone who is mentally, emotionally and physically healthy wants to live. I'm just not terrified of dying.

However, I am curious -- and I ask this most respectfully -- how to you 'know' that there is no life at all after death? Human beings -- everything that is alive -- are comprised not just of matter but also of energy. According to the laws of physics in our universe (there are theories now that there are other universes), energy cannot be created or destroyed. Consequently, when we die, our energy leaves our body, and, well, it has to go somewhere (I have no idea exactly where). Of course, that doesn't mean our consciousness survives -- in other words, that doesn't mean, for example, that I will know that I am me after I die.

I'm truly not trying to back you up against a wall. I am not saying you are wrong. I'm just curious as to how you 'know' there is no life after death. Or is it your belief?

Old 06-17-2019, 03:32 AM

6,169 posts, read 2,849,330 times
Some days it can't come soon enough! Yet in the deepest depths of my being I have NO choice in when it comes or How it will be. so the fear of having No control is probably the main culprit. Its the Dying part. Once the curtail closes I will have finished.

Its been handed down by generations before me...the ladys in the family will say..."I do not wish to die alone". They want a loved one nearby. The way my life has gone...I wont die alone. The Gunmen or the Worn out doctor or nurse will mess up my meds and I'll be a goner! For you see....the devil is in the details I find.

what I once cursed upon being the only family member out of 7 kids to BE there During My mothers Final days turned into a blessed gift. I was THERE for Her. I made sure to be that loved one that sat with her.
My sons wont do that though. They have been emeshed into this new era of toss the parent in a home, wait for the call and then feel "inconvenienced" to have to claim the body. So yeah.....its not a pleasant thought and yeah the dying process isn't on bucket list LOL!

Old 06-17-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Some days it can't come soon enough! Yet in the deepest depths of my being I have NO choice in when it comes or How it will be. so the fear of having No control is probably the main culprit. Its the Dying part. Once the curtail closes I will have finished.

Its been handed down by generations before me...the ladys in the family will say..."I do not wish to die alone". They want a loved one nearby. The way my life has gone...I wont die alone. The Gunmen or the Worn out doctor or nurse will mess up my meds and I'll be a goner! For you see....the devil is in the details I find.

what I once cursed upon being the only family member out of 7 kids to BE there During My mothers Final days turned into a blessed gift. I was THERE for Her. I made sure to be that loved one that sat with her.
My sons wont do that though. They have been emeshed into this new era of toss the parent in a home, wait for the call and then feel "inconvenienced" to have to claim the body. So yeah.....its not a pleasant thought and yeah the dying process isn't on bucket list LOL!
Yeah, as I said before, I should have changed the question, because dying and death, while related, are separate issues. Death is nothing. Dying can be pretty painful and terrifying and drawn out.

Yes, we were there for our parents, and, in general, our kids will not be there for us.

Yes, you're absolutely right -- the parent goes to a nursing home, and no one comes to visit.

I can kinda 'one up' you -- I've seen patients in nursing homes with bedsores down to the bones and with maggots in them. Once you see something like that, you NEVER forget it.

My greatest fear -- my only real fear -- is winding up in a nursing home before I die.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:27 AM

17,370 posts, read 21,213,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
No, I'm not afraid of dying, or of death. I fully believe that for the believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, to be absent from the body is to be at home with the Lord in heaven.

If I were diagnosed with a terminal illness, I would not seek treatment. I have no desire to live beyond a point where I can no longer take care of myself and perhaps develop some form of dementia.

However, I do not believe in suicide, whether physician assisted or not.
With Faith comes doubt! You simply can't have complete Faith in anything without having doubts, that's a fact! Only a liar would say they have no doubts whatsoever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or