U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 10:32 AM

38 posts, read 14,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well the new rules are different , because restricted application is gone so it is not just semantics . restricted application was very different than just spousal
Yes, understood. I was trying to address only the limited matter of people being confused about the word "switching." Pretty soon we'll be in a world where there is just one set of rules for all new SS applicants. At that point the confusion will lessen... unless of course people who are older and filed under old rules keep complicating the discussion by repeating what they did back in the day.

The era of one set of rules and definitions can't come soon enough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 10:33 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 17 days ago)

10,467 posts, read 14,312,551 times
Sigh, the closer I get to the goal, the quicker the rules seem to change. Recently had a change at work that I missed the cutoff by about eight months.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:38 AM

71,514 posts, read 71,694,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
Yes, understood. I was trying to address only the limited matter of people being confused about the word "switching." Pretty soon we'll be in a world where there is just one set of rules for all new SS applicants. At that point the confusion will lessen... unless of course people who are older and filed under old rules keep complicating the discussion by repeating what they did back in the day.

The era of one set of rules and definitions can't come soon enough!
well with those born in 1953 being just 66 there are still a few years left for those grandfathered to make it through. in the mean time it has nothing to do with back in the day because those eligible for restricted application maybe first filing

Old 06-16-2019, 10:38 AM

38 posts, read 14,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Sigh, the closer I get to the goal, the quicker the rules seem to change. Recently had a change at work that I missed the cutoff by about eight months.
Well, maybe not. A change at work wouldn't affect the SS rules under which you file. It's your birthday that determines that.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:40 AM

71,514 posts, read 71,694,121 times
i don't think they were referencing a social security event but rather a cut off pertaining to something at work

Old 06-16-2019, 11:00 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 17 days ago)

10,467 posts, read 14,312,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i don't think they were referencing a social security event but rather a cut off pertaining to something at work
Yes, my (former) retiree health plan. Discouraging to see goal post being moved when I'm within sight of them. Does make any attempt at planning more difficult.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:04 AM

486 posts, read 110,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Well those things do happen. Cry over your spilled milk for a while and then regroup.
Might take a bit of replanning based on what changed. And then once you've reached it, grab it before it changes again.

Between corporate America and Social Security..changes are changes. Be quick to adapt and take serious consideration of any early retirement package your company might offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or