Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 02:50 PM

819 posts, read 571,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
they can be awful at the ss office . that is why i took the time to learn myself .

want proof ?
https://www.usnews.com/news/national...s-and-widowers
I could tell you horror stories about how many things social security can get wrong - just from personal experience. However, some of it was from mistakes and some of it was just from them knowing better, but not knowing that I knew better - so figuring they could get by with it . But yes - it is always better to know as much as you can and try to keep them on track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 02:55 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janja1 View Post
I would very much encourage your friend to read some of the forums here. I also plan on going to the Social Security office in the near future - but I also think the more you know before you go can be very helpful - because they don't always get things 100% right there (at least not at my local office). Even if you don't get all the answers by researching a bit, you are in a much better position to know the right questions to ask (which will help them give you the right answers), especially if the situation is a bit complex.
Her case is more involved because her hub is older plus he's been in a home for the last 5 years due to Parkinson's I believe.

I do hope she is reading here in her spare time. There is a lot of info already here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
they can be awful at the ss office . that is why i took the time to learn myself .

want proof ?
https://www.usnews.com/news/national...s-and-widowers
Thank you for the link

Old 06-17-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
You are correct, they don’t always know locally or not. I called in, armed with information from OpenSocialSecurity and they still told me that was not correct. I knew better, after 30 minutes they finally gave me the correct answer.
Watch out being too argumentative with them. They can "flag" your record so that no one else wants to help you. Also -- if you ever have to submit anything important to them, make sure to get a date stamped copy. And make sure they use the official date stamp. One time the worker just hand wrote the date on my copy. She said she didn't have the date stamp. So I asked her to SIGN the copy - to show that she was the one who hand wrote the date on it (i.e. not me). She didn't want to sign it and so she walked over and picked up the date stamp (that she had told me she didn't have) and date stamped my copy.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Her case is more involved because her hub is older plus he's been in a home for the last 5 years due to Parkinson's I believe.

I do hope she is reading here in her spare time. There is a lot of info already here.

Thank you for the link
It sounds like she has a lot to deal with. Hopefully, SSA will get it right in the first place in her case.

I will say, for the most part, that most errors SSA makes are most likely unintentional. For the most part, it is best to resolve any discrepancies by asking questions (and knowing the questions to ask) rather than outright disagreeing with them.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:24 PM

I am going to say it is odd how difficult it is to find much information about the interrelationship between GPO and WEP. It would seem that most people who are subject to one would be affected by both - unless they worked their entire career in a non-SSA covered job.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:14 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,198,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
What happens if spouse (husband) takes SS at 72 and wife (who doesn't have enough hours to qualify) take husbands at 62?
I receive about 1/3 of what my husband gets. If he should die, do I stay the same or get his amount?

So confused over all this.
Obviously I was not clear.

I am now 70 and husband is 87. My husband worked until age 78 but had to take his SS at 72. I was still working. After he retired and we moved to Florida, I decided to take spousal benefits at age 62. I was told I would only get about 1/3 of his benefit.
Now I am 70 and he is 87 and what I'd like to understand is, if he should predecease me, would my low amount increase or am I penalized by only receiving 1/3 for the rest of my life?

Old 06-17-2019, 11:55 PM

192 posts, read 133,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
Obviously I was not clear.

I am now 70 and husband is 87. My husband worked until age 78 but had to take his SS at 72. I was still working. After he retired and we moved to Florida, I decided to take spousal benefits at age 62. I was told I would only get about 1/3 of his benefit.
Now I am 70 and he is 87 and what I'd like to understand is, if he should predecease me, would my low amount increase or am I penalized by only receiving 1/3 for the rest of my life?
You would switch to survivor’s benefits and, since you are past fra, you will receive 100% of what he is getting at the time of his death. Taking your benefit or spousal benefit early has no bearing on your survivor’s benefit.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:43 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janja1 View Post
It sounds like she has a lot to deal with. Hopefully, SSA will get it right in the first place in her case.

I will say, for the most part, that most errors SSA makes are most likely unintentional. For the most part, it is best to resolve any discrepancies by asking questions (and knowing the questions to ask) rather than outright disagreeing with them.
He's been in a home for close to 5 years. He should have passed away 2 years ago.

I'm going to send her another message to make sure she's reading here and to see if she made an appointment at SSA

Old 06-19-2019, 03:58 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Important to read when a spouse had died as this page seems to cover all the different situations

link

Old 06-19-2019, 04:11 PM

7,705 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grlwthprl View Post
I am almost 62. My husband is 63.
If I take my SS at age 62, will I be allowed to 50% of his later on?

Please try to give me a very simple answer (as if you're talking to a 6 year old). I have a Master's Degree but when I post here about SS my head explodes. Thank you.
Well, there you have it. In order to understand Social Security, you need a PhD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement