U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 03:15 PM

1,946 posts, read 2,708,224 times

Advertisements

New Mexico is drop-dead gorgeous. I live in ABQ. I retired here, from Southern CA, 14+ years ago. I'm not a huge fan of either NM or ABQ -- other than this place is SO beautiful. But ABQ has THE most and THE best senior centers in any city in The US. I know because I spent three years (off and on) researching another place to live -- ANY other place to live! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL I simply couldn't find an even slightly better place to retire than here. No place else was nearly as good. Albuquerque/NM passed Florida, within the last year, as a retirement Mecca. There are good reasons for that.

I just want to say this: NM has VERY bad medical care. We have a GREAT Ortho Department -- the 6th best in The US. We also have great cancer centers -- I personally know people who have come from other states just for cancer treatment (and have been treated well and are in remission -- even 4th stage pancreatic cancer). HOWEVER, if you don't have a broken bone or cancer -- medical care here is not at all good. Also, ABQ has a reputation for being a very violent crime city. It's not. However, it does have a high percentage of property crime and especially auto theft -- get out of your car and before you can put money in the parking meter, your car is in Mexico (I'm only half kidding). ALSO, we have only two main highways in the whole state -- and every single year we make the federal Department of Transportation's Top Five Most Dangerous Highways in The US. Every single damn year. But we have a mild change of seasons, and NOTHING ever happens here weather-wise. We don't have hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, and only the mild, small tornado that does no damage. None of our cities has ever had a major fire.

You couldn't get me to live any place else. (Well, maybe Manhattan or downtown NYC -- on 5th Avenue -- with a view of Central Park. LOL But I certainly can't afford that. LOL)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 03:35 PM

1,319 posts, read 642,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickieWV View Post
That wasn't nice.
Your response, as a new poster, wasn`t very nice, to someone who was only trying to help you.

Old 06-16-2019, 04:43 PM

4,356 posts, read 3,689,532 times
You can start by looking at communities very close to where you live. As you go through the sales pitch you will get some questions that you consider important and can use at the next place you visit.

By the way I found the salesmen at the communities I visited to be very nice and helpful. I would always try to sign up in advance so a salesman show you the community. He will show you the houses but ask questions about financing, HOA fees, maintenance, insurance, clubs, traffic etc. Also consider the possibility that you may need some assistance as you grow older and this could lead to some ideas on what you want in a home.

Old 06-16-2019, 04:56 PM

5,233 posts, read 3,005,081 times
We lived in a 55+ in Arizona that had 29000 residents. There were over 100 clubs and activities.
I belonged to the computer club, the photo club, the RV club. My wife was in the sewing club.
I volunteered at the Sheriff's Posse. There were events that were to everyone, like concerts in the park and the movie theater. There were also 7 golf courses, tennis, pickle ball and miniature golf. There were 3 outdoor pools and 2 indoor.

Yes it was hot and very dry, which caused us to return to Florida. where we now live in a 55+ community.

I will never again live in a all age community, nor in a residence with stairs.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:35 PM

19 posts, read 5,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Your response, as a new poster, wasn`t very nice, to someone who was only trying to help you.
Well, you read my reply incorrectly. I was answering in the same manner she/he replied to me.
But, sure, try to justify your snark. Your post about my students was cruel. I miss them.

Last edited by VickieWV; 06-16-2019 at 06:18 PM..

Old 06-16-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
New Mexico is drop-dead gorgeous. I live in ABQ. I retired here, from Southern CA, 14+ years ago. I'm not a huge fan of either NM or ABQ -- other than this place is SO beautiful. But ABQ has THE most and THE best senior centers in any city in The US. I know because I spent three years (off and on) researching another place to live -- ANY other place to live! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL I simply couldn't find an even slightly better place to retire than here. No place else was nearly as good. Albuquerque/NM passed Florida, within the last year, as a retirement Mecca. There are good reasons for that.

I just want to say this: NM has VERY bad medical care. We have a GREAT Ortho Department -- the 6th best in The US. We also have great cancer centers -- I personally know people who have come from other states just for cancer treatment (and have been treated well and are in remission -- even 4th stage pancreatic cancer). HOWEVER, if you don't have a broken bone or cancer -- medical care here is not at all good. Also, ABQ has a reputation for being a very violent crime city. It's not. However, it does have a high percentage of property crime and especially auto theft -- get out of your car and before you can put money in the parking meter, your car is in Mexico (I'm only half kidding). ALSO, we have only two main highways in the whole state -- and every single year we make the federal Department of Transportation's Top Five Most Dangerous Highways in The US. Every single damn year. But we have a mild change of seasons, and NOTHING ever happens here weather-wise. We don't have hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, and only the mild, small tornado that does no damage. None of our cities has ever had a major fire.

You couldn't get me to live any place else. (Well, maybe Manhattan or downtown NYC -- on 5th Avenue -- with a view of Central Park. LOL But I certainly can't afford that. LOL)
Thank you so much! It sounds like you found a great place! I need somewhere I can hop in my car with my camera and head out to take photos. I will look into their senior centers. I can relate to the amount of time you researched for a place to live. I look every day.

I always thought where I live has the worst drivers. I-79 is terrible. I am sure we would have to be ranked..lol

Old 06-16-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
You can start by looking at communities very close to where you live. As you go through the sales pitch you will get some questions that you consider important and can use at the next place you visit.

By the way I found the salesmen at the communities I visited to be very nice and helpful. I would always try to sign up in advance so a salesman show you the community. He will show you the houses but ask questions about financing, HOA fees, maintenance, insurance, clubs, traffic etc. Also consider the possibility that you may need some assistance as you grow older and this could lead to some ideas on what you want in a home.
Thank you! You're suggestions are quite helpful. I will sign up in advance, perhaps taking advantage of the Stay and Play (or whatever they call them..lol) so I can get a feel for a community. Thanks!

Old 06-16-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
We lived in a 55+ in Arizona that had 29000 residents. There were over 100 clubs and activities.
I belonged to the computer club, the photo club, the RV club. My wife was in the sewing club.
I volunteered at the Sheriff's Posse. There were events that were to everyone, like concerts in the park and the movie theater. There were also 7 golf courses, tennis, pickle ball and miniature golf. There were 3 outdoor pools and 2 indoor.

Yes it was hot and very dry, which caused us to return to Florida. where we now live in a 55+ community.

I will never again live in a all age community, nor in a residence with stairs.
My townhouse is 3 stories, so I can relate to the stairs. If I am going to move one last time, I hope it will be to a place that is all one level.

Do you prefer heat and humidity over the heat and dryness?
The Arizona summers temperatures really exceed what it is in Florida over the summer, right? I don't do well in the heat. It affects me physically.

I think I would like Florida.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:59 PM

662 posts, read 476,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
WOW....Guess those kids are happy you retired.
Wow. Just wow. Totally uncalled for.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,527 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Many communities used lottery funds for community Rec centers (Colorado and Oregon did that)

Some take 'Silver Sneakers'

One of my favorite 'senior centric' communities (Also very artsy)... is now $4/ session or $260 / yr (full Senior price, not Silver Sneaker rate)
Hours & Fees | City of Loveland

In Oregon... this town is also very nice for seniors (between Portland and Oregon coast)
$5 / session or $170 / yr for full Senior rate
https://www.mcminnvilleoregon.gov/aq...affordable-fun

Some other options are local colleges / community colleges with taking one class / or community senior memberships.

I often seek really nice community centers / school pools when traveling, as I am an avid lap swimmer (I still find and prefer <$1 entry!!!)

I have found many excellent facilities.

Cream of the crop was NZ and Australia.
I envy those who have these readily available. A nice NZ facility in a town of <100,000 served 25,000 people / month. My USA facilities typically serve far less that that / yr. (town of 250,000)

Of coarse in NZ and Australia, they even have HEALTH CARE!!! (Often free wellness events at community centers)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or