U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 06:52 PM

3,551 posts, read 1,651,021 times

Advertisements

Yes, look for places that offer Silver Sneakers programs. Those are great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 06:14 AM

38,131 posts, read 14,894,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
WOW....Guess those kids are happy you retired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Your response, as a new poster, wasn`t very nice, to someone who was only trying to help you.
Baloney.

There was nothing remotely helpful about your original post.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 06-17-2019 at 07:05 AM..

Old 06-17-2019, 07:05 AM

38,131 posts, read 14,894,548 times
In addition to rec centers, I would check out transportation as well.

One of our concerns in finding a retirement community, was what would we do when driving was no longer a safe option. We wanted to "age in place" but didn't want to be confined to that place.

In our town, as well as community and senior centers with all sorts of activities, there is also a transportation system that for a reasonable rate (last time I checked it was $1) will transport seniors.

Don't know how many other communities have that, but it sealed the deal for us.

Now let's hope it still funded when we need it.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:14 AM

19 posts, read 5,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Many communities used lottery funds for community Rec centers (Colorado and Oregon did that)

Some take 'Silver Sneakers'

One of my favorite 'senior centric' communities (Also very artsy)... is now $4/ session or $260 / yr (full Senior price, not Silver Sneaker rate)
Hours & Fees | City of Loveland

In Oregon... this town is also very nice for seniors (between Portland and Oregon coast)
$5 / session or $170 / yr for full Senior rate
https://www.mcminnvilleoregon.gov/aq...affordable-fun

Some other options are local colleges / community colleges with taking one class / or community senior memberships.

I often seek really nice community centers / school pools when traveling, as I am an avid lap swimmer (I still find and prefer <$1 entry!!!)

I have found many excellent facilities.

Cream of the crop was NZ and Australia.
I envy those who have these readily available. A nice NZ facility in a town of <100,000 served 25,000 people / month. My USA facilities typically serve far less that that / yr. (town of 250,000)

Of coarse in NZ and Australia, they even have HEALTH CARE!!! (Often free wellness events at community centers)

Thank you so much! My daughter and I are meeting in Vancouver for a 12 day trip Vancouver/Victoria/Seattle/Portland and I plan to rent a car one day to travel from Portland to the coast. Your post couldn't come at a better time. I honestly think the PNW is where I belong. I like cloudy days, rain doesn't bother me, and mountains and rocky coastlines inspire me. Photo opps would be at every turn. Thank you for the information!

Old 06-17-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Yes, look for places that offer Silver Sneakers programs. Those are great.

Thanks! My gym offers the Silver Sneakers program and I just have to pay $4 per session until I am 65. They are great!

Old 06-17-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
In addition to rec centers, I would check out transportation as well.

One of our concerns in finding a retirement community, was what would we do when driving was no longer a safe option. We wanted to "age in place" but didn't want to be confined to that place.

In our town, as well as community and senior centers with all sorts of activities, there is also a transportation system that for a reasonable rate (last time I checked it was $1) will transport seniors.

Don't know how many other communities have that, but it sealed the deal for us.

Now let's hope it still funded when we need it.
Exactly. I want to "age in place" but don't want to be confined to that place. You have found what I am looking for. Transportation options are quite important. Sometimes I leave that off while researching. I need to edit my "requirement list." Thank you!

Old 06-17-2019, 08:08 AM

5,940 posts, read 5,297,242 times
You should forget about 55+ communities. Dogs are very popular and your wanting to entice animals would not go over well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or