Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 11:40 AM

19 posts, read 9,375 times

Advertisements

I retired in November and there isn't much offered here in my city. Walmart and the gym. Seriously, that's about it, other than lunch with friends etc. I have completed more than 10 jigsaw puzzles (ok, more than 15)....and watch Hallmark movies and trail walk here and there. Such an exciting life. If I continue living here, I'm pretty sure I'm going to shrivel up and die....or just shrivel up.
I'm iffy about 55+ communities, yet would like the amenities attached to them. If homes were about $190,000, I could justify the HOA fees...I live in a townhouse now, and want to have my own little house, with a backyard for flower gardening and enticing wildlife. (I am like an animal whisperer....no, seriously lol) But, then again, I could also see myself in a high rise apartment in the middle of an exciting city. My opinion changes often.

Surely there are cities or towns that have great community centers where the amenities would be the same as those in a 55+ community.
I want to join a photography group, play cards and board games, travel, swim, dance, write, act, talk politics (with like minded people..lol) etc. etc. I'm 62, and single. My two kids live far away, (one in Tokyo), so being near an airport would be great.

A friend lives in Palm Coast, Florida and she belongs to several clubs at her local community center and she volunteers. I'm looking into that area, but I don't do well in high heat and humidity.
I just need an active city.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 12:11 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
I think your option is a large over 55 community. The larger the community the more activities. Also the more resales which can be a good deal for you financially.

HOA fees can vary a lot so make sure you understand what is included. In some just the basic amenities and in other maintenance of the outside of your home and landscaping.

You can probably find rentals in a community to test out. In general the lease will have to be 6 months or a year. But you can rent in the Villages for any period of time. VH4R Home Rentals in The Villages You could use this as a base camp to explore Central Florida. I would be sure to look along route 200 in Ocala.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:25 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
You can visit other senior community. People in my senior center came from nearby town. Same with pickleball.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:53 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Or you can VOLUNTEER somewhere. Better than Hallmark movies.

Old 06-16-2019, 01:46 PM

I understand I can VOLUNTEER somewhere. I am a recently retired teacher who will volunteer at some point. Right now I'm looking to move because of the lack of activities in my city and asked about community/rec centers in other areas of the country.

Old 06-16-2019, 02:06 PM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickieWV View Post
I understand I can VOLUNTEER somewhere. I am a recently retired teacher who will volunteer at some point. Right now I'm looking to move because of the lack of activities in my city and asked about community/rec centers in other areas of the country.
WOW....Guess those kids are happy you retired.

Old 06-16-2019, 02:42 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times
I'm at our rec center 4-5 days a week, so I completely understand the difference a great community center can make in your retirement. There are some cities here in Virginia that have awesome community centers, but most of them a probably too pricey. If budget isn't a concern, check out Charlottesville for a truly awesome senior center. Best of luck with your search.

Old 06-16-2019, 02:51 PM

Piney Creek, thank you so much for your reply. I will look into the area!

Old 06-16-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
WOW....Guess those kids are happy you retired.
That wasn't nice.

Old 06-16-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I think your option is a large over 55 community. The larger the community the more activities. Also the more resales which can be a good deal for you financially.

HOA fees can vary a lot so make sure you understand what is included. In some just the basic amenities and in other maintenance of the outside of your home and landscaping.

You can probably find rentals in a community to test out. In general the lease will have to be 6 months or a year. But you can rent in the Villages for any period of time. VH4R Home Rentals in The Villages You could use this as a base camp to explore Central Florida. I would be sure to look along route 200 in Ocala.
Thank you! I'm torn on which way to go. Thanks for the rental suggestion. That may be something I should do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement