Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 11:10 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times

Advertisements

I have an inherited afib issue. I'm not hypertensive but I'm on a couple of low dose BP meds to knock me down to 110/70 along with 81 mg aspirin to reduce the stroke risk. Looking that that, they picked up that I have an enlarged aorta. I'm a broad-shouldered 6'2" guy where everything else is big, too. I get a CT scan every year to track it but it's probably been the dimensions of my aorta since adulthood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 11:16 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I have the same attitude towards doctors, dentists, auto mechanics, financial advisors and anyone else I hire for their expertise: I'll try and find one I trust but whatever they advise, I will do my own research, get a second opinion if necessary, and then make a decision. I'm the one who has to live with the results. I respect doctors- I have a couple in my family- but medicine is not an exact science and few medical issues have sraightforward "cookbook" solutions.
Couldn't agree with this more.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-20-2019, 12:38 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser456 View Post
Monitoring BP at home with good equipment can be a good idea. I also take the spreadsheet to doc appointments. I use an Omron BP device at home and have even brought it to a doc app't to be tested. There are a lot of brands on the market and plenty of reviews to peruse.

Yes, I have an omron automatic as well. The NP had me monitor BP at home prior to the last apptm.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:38 PM

236 posts, read 195,469 times
There is no reason seniors cant live into their 70's and 80's in relatively good health when we reduce the sugar and fat intake and stay active. Doctors dont seem to promote wellness in the U.S. In France the doctors get a healthy annual bonus for how many patients they keep healthy! Very motivating for them to teach good diet, and exercise. Not so much in our neck of the woods.....

Old 06-20-2019, 05:49 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenwings View Post
There is no reason seniors cant live into their 70's and 80's in relatively good health when we reduce the sugar and fat intake and stay active. Doctors dont seem to promote wellness in the U.S. In France the doctors get a healthy annual bonus for how many patients they keep healthy! Very motivating for them to teach good diet, and exercise. Not so much in our neck of the woods.....
All my doctors promote wellness via diet and exercise.

How in the world do they compute "healthy" in France. I am super healthy... except for aggressive RA... I can't imagine how they pay based upon things the doctors cannot control.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-20-2019, 06:46 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Doctor wanted to put me on cholesterol and blood sugar meds. I said give me six months.

I lost 24 pounds, gave up eating ice cream, and started looking at the sugar content of everything.

Cholesterol and blood sugar went back down to normal ranges.

I still take generic Synthroid, but that's it.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:22 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenwings View Post
The incentives in the US healthcare system are the exact opposite: US doctors are paid more (fee for service system) based on doing more tests and procedures, not based on healthy outcomes or doing fewer tests or procedures. Really messed up, to say the least.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:47 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Good points on selecting a doctor, though it's important to keep in mind that some older adults have insurances with limitations (Medicare Advantage Plans) that have networks, and don't have as many options. Perhaps that is the only insurance option they can afford, and they have to live with a particular network. Also, some doctors don't take new patients any longer with traditional Medicare. I've personally run into this in my research on several retirement locations when I've called specific clinics about establishing care as a new patient. Some physicians close their "panels" to new Medicare patients but continue to see existing Medicare patients.

A problem here is that too many good doctors have joined a concierge medicine program that requires a significant annual patient payment in addition to what Medicare pays.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:49 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I have the same attitude towards doctors, dentists, auto mechanics, financial advisors and anyone else I hire for their expertise: I'll try and find one I trust but whatever they advise, I will do my own research, get a second opinion if necessary, and then make a decision. I'm the one who has to live with the results. I respect doctors- I have a couple in my family- but medicine is not an exact science and few medical issues have sraightforward "cookbook" solutions.

Totally agree with you on this

Old 06-20-2019, 08:10 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
A problem here is that too many good doctors have joined a concierge medicine program that requires a significant annual patient payment in addition to what Medicare pays.
Excellent point. I had that happen to me. I had a PCP who I was seeing for years, who left to run the "concierge" program at the healthcare system, so I had to find a new PCP. It's all about $$.

But that is yet another way that our access is limited, unless, of course, you pay the big bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement