Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2019, 10:35 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
It all depends on which whisky. If it's a nice excessively aged Single Malt from Costco, I'd say go for it. For example, these are at our local Costco:

Or this one:

This one isn't at Coscto, but I'd still drink it.
Sounds good. The only problem I'd have would be spending that much of my nest egg for something that's just going to disappear as I drink it. Of course I know it's the savoring and appreciation of the whiskey at one's leisure, the experience one pays for, but my other issue would be I'm afraid I'm too plebian (and not much of a drinker besides that) to appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 12:07 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Our parent's generation did not have statins and my father is a good example of the consequences. As he aged, atherosclerosis took a toll with a quad bypass, aortic aneurysm, clogged carotids, stroke, blindness and a list of issues that could have been greatly decreased with the use of statins.
This is true about previous generations. All of my grandparents died of heart attack/stroke. I don't want to follow in their footsteps, so I happily take my statin.

But we're not supposed to talk about that here.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:49 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Just curious about why bone density scans are a good idea, if nothing can be done to help except for supplements?

And if supplements aren't dangerous, why not just take them as a preventative measure?
They use the prescription bone meds, but they can have bad side effects. I know a few residents where i work who have jaw necrosis from them. The dentist can't do much work without fear of the consequences. I personally wouldn't trade some bone protection for a possibility of jaw necrosis...but that's me. I have a nurse co worker who won't go near them either.

Bone vitamins and minerals, lots to research there of what to take and exercise that stresses the bone, walking, hiking, weights, etc. to help.

Vit. D, but it has to be enough (the doses most people get aren't enough, I've looked at the Vit D council's info and other sites), Calcium (but supplements have heart risks, I eat my calcium) K (possibly, mixed research) and things like zinc, boron and other trace elements. I've read research that magnesium can help, too. Has to be a medley of stuff for the bones.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:59 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,669,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I hope this topic does not get moved. I am asking the seniors here, the ones who are most likely to fall in the category of their numbers being too high.

And I am not intending to argue, criticize, offend, etc. I'm just collecting information for my own self.

I don't know if anyone had the patience to read this, I know it's too long.

I don't want to live to be 100 but I don't want to hasten death, either.

I just believe there are some of us who are like this.
Most docs and medicines will hasten your death. Period.

There are exceptions, but if you simply let yourself be taken for a ride by the system you will likely up in the wrong place.

Without pleasure...life isn't worth living, IMHO.

If I die without seeing a hospital bed I will be a happy man (haven't seen one since my tonsils at 6yo).

Old 06-18-2019, 02:16 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser456 View Post
I think most people would agree with what you are saying. Meds should not be stopped without consultation with a physician, and drugs are appropriate for some patients, and in some cases, there isn't even a question.

However, when a PCP who sees a patient for the first time, for a 15 minute app't, looks at test results that are 2 years old with "borderline" high cholesterol, doesn't ask about any lifestyle issues (diet and exercise), and the patient has no other risk factors or any family history of heart disease, but the doctor immediately recommends Rx drugs without further testing or even asking about diet or exercise, then it's a problem. The first line of defense in an otherwise healthy adult should be diet and exercise changes if necessary, and an additional follow-up test before starting any serious drug, in my view. YMMV

In my experience, some docs don't appreciate patients who want more information before starting a new med, which is unfortunate. I personally think the doctor-patient relationship should be a team effort, not a "boss and a subordinate" situation. Physicians are experts in their fields and have an obligation to explain their recommendations to patients based on data. Just my 2 cents.
Fortunately the god-like attitude of some physicians is becoming way less frequent. Regardless half the docs are below average and sometimes even average is not good enough. You have helped to describe when it can be important to change docs. The next step is to find out how to get a good doc you can work with.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:42 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,669,238 times
I have a friend with all kinds of conditions (a-fib and more) who is over 70 and a super-athlete.

He always ate well and was never overweight. But he was on BP meds and on others.....he decided to get off ALL meds, which is quite a trial when you are over 70.

Without going into detail I'll say that he was successful. BUT, knowing people (in general), I'd say less than 10% of the population is capable of the discipline required to do so. He spent 10's of thousands over the years (of his own money) to have his blood extracted and for an anti-aging doctor who he often had to fly to (1200 miles). He is retired and has the money to do so.

Most people do not have the will, the money, the time, the background (he was into organic food 50 years ago!) and the proper instructions/doctor.

My thinking is that most people are best with a "middle way" of moderation. I take 5mg linisopril for high BP....that's a small dose. But I also exercise, have lost weight and also have had a healthy diet my entire life.

I was just looking up various meds and procedures for some of the normal aging problems - prostate, back, etc.....and, in most cases, the cure was worse than the disease. I have a neighbor who simply listened to the docs and did all the prostate tests and operations and hormone the doc told him to. He went from active to miserable and basically can't do anything except lay around and sleep.

I think I'd rather pass on than go through certain procedures and meds - especially for conditions what virtually 100% of men (or women...if the disease is a typical women one)....will eventually suffer from.

I heard a POTUS candidate on the radio the other day and he recently had prostate cancer removed. He made certain to tell everyone to go and get checked and get it taken care of.

I immediately thought about the UK and even the USA current "best practices" where the suggestion is to NOT look for it in most cases...that is, those who look....find...and those who find end up as bad or worse than those who don't look!

I immediately thought to myself "this guy is running for POTUS and he's not familiar with what Medicine has been saying about this for a DECADE?????

Not to cast judgement on what he did...but when you tell everyone to do the same, you are not (scientifically and statistically) doing them any favors.

One should at least be informed...themselves...or have a doc who is informed, before subjecting themselves to the Medical-Industrial complex. It's all about the Benjamins and given the choice between making money or not making money, most American medial institutions will follow the first.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:16 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,013,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
This is true about previous generations. All of my grandparents died of heart attack/stroke. I don't want to follow in their footsteps, so I happily take my statin.

But we're not supposed to talk about that here.
AFAIK, that proscription only pertains to the Health & Wellness forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Congratulations for posting the most ridiculous comment of the day.

Period.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:17 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,908,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Our parent's generation did not have statins and my father is a good example of the consequences. As he aged, atherosclerosis took a toll with a quad bypass, aortic aneurysm, clogged carotids, stroke, blindness and a list of issues that could have been greatly decreased with the use of statins.

Many of you have offered great advice on trying to find a healthy diet. That works for some and for virtually everyone will have some positive results. That does not mean it is a good idea to become your own doctors, give up statins and face the consequences of previous generations.

Physicians do not just arbitrarily decide on the use of statins. There are well researched consensus guidelines for evaluating lab results and a host of risk factors. Even with detailed guidelines some judgment is needed. There are also those who cannot tolerate statins or who need to try different formulations. Rather than become your own doctor, you would be better off to work with your doctor. For some, going off statins might be necessary. Weight loss, dietary changes and other steps to reduce risk can definitely help. In any case you need to work with your physician. If that is not working, you need to voice your concerns and possibly change physicians.
Per the Mayo Clinic, "Lifestyle changes are essential for reducing your risk of heart disease, whether you take a statin or not." Unfortunately, we live in an age when many people just want a pill to "fix" them without making any other changes. If you do all you can to live a healthy lifestyle and still need meds, that is one thing, but that tends to be the exception rather than the rule.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:20 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,908,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Just curious about why bone density scans are a good idea, if nothing can be done to help except for supplements?

And if supplements aren't dangerous, why not just take them as a preventative measure?
It isn't the case that "nothing can be done to help except for supplements." Strength training has proven to be effective. https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...e-than-muscles

Old 06-18-2019, 03:36 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

There are exceptions, but if you simply let yourself be taken for a ride by the system you will likely up in the wrong place.

Without pleasure...life isn't worth living, IMHO.

If I die without seeing a hospital bed I will be a happy man (haven't seen one since my tonsils at 6yo).
The facts are not on your side and it is clear that modern medicine has greatly extended life expectancy and health.

We all want pleasure. That has nothing to do with the positive or negative effects of medicine.

None of us want to go into hospitals. Personally I have had surgeries for two different cancers and both surgeries were successful. Otherwise I would have been dead years ago. I also had surgery for a detached retina and laser surgery for the other eye. Otherwise I would be blind in one eye and probably in both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement