Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 04:09 PM

3,550 posts, read 3,085,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
When, as a society, it is recommenced you park at the back of the parking lot, to "get exercise", you know it's pretty bad.

LOL and the worst part is after years of hearing this advice you still don't see people doing this, even at the gym. You'd think people going to a gym would be open to the idea of walking from the farthest space as a stretch before their workout. But no, they still compete and even circle around and around to get the spaces nearest to the front door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 05:36 PM

41,849 posts, read 17,370,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
LOL and the worst part is after years of hearing this advice you still don't see people doing this, even at the gym. You'd think people going to a gym would be open to the idea of walking from the farthest space as a stretch before their workout. But no, they still compete and even circle around and around to get the spaces nearest to the front door.
LOL..but I like my wide open empty spaces at the back of the parking lot !
A side benefit is that I can always find my vehicle...the lone ram at the edge of the parking lot.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:11 PM

48,311 posts, read 34,442,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I park at the back of the parking lot so my vehicle doesn't get dinged and I can fully open the doors and load up the back seat.
I park at the back of the lot because it's easier and faster just to park in the open stalls than drive around hoping for something closer.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-22-2019, 12:13 PM

48,311 posts, read 34,442,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I'm a huge believer in the benefits of daily exercise, especially for things like cholesterol. Also, eating salmon, oatmeal, and the other foods that are part of a cholesterol lowering diet. I have red meat every once in awhile, but very rarely (and always in small amounts) and I think that's helped. We also want to get a home testing kit. If anyone has bought one of these, we are looking for suggestions for kits that worked well.
I have a BP monitor and blood sugar, but when I looked in the cholesterol ones, they seemed very inaccurate, so I didn't buy one. They all had junk reviews.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-22-2019, 01:46 PM

10,998 posts, read 6,538,661 times
I have "bad numbers" but have chosen to not take meds. I don't believe the cholesterol BS. My "good" cholesterol is very high, so there. I have some high BP but not on any meds.

We'll see how it works out. I'm OK with a decreased life-span if that is the result.

I believe in anti-biotics when really necessary, but there are too many unnecessary meds being pushed out there. My parents were on so many at the end of their lives. Like someone else said, their lives consisted of medical-related stuff only.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:56 AM

8,698 posts, read 4,940,687 times
Ok.....So here are my dreaded chloesterol numbers. total 244 HDL 62, LDL 166 and triglycerides 79. This is after 3 mos of diet. It was 40 points higher before diet. I was on statins for 45 days, when I had to come off because of side effects. Blood test where after I already dropped the 40 points. Doctor wants me to try another med, I am on the fence.....some sites I have seen say 190 and above for LDL, you should go on meds?????. I also take very low BP meds 5mg. Not trying to start a meds war......just would like to here what other doctors recommend with numbers like these. Thanks!

Old 06-24-2019, 06:19 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,209,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
That's great! Ice cream is wonderful.....but it's decadent and I save it for special treats. I'm also trying to eliminate certain foods (added sugar) to see if there is any impact on my inflammation. I think sugar can be inflammatory for certain people, so I've cut way back to see if it makes any difference.

Looking at the sugar content on food labels can be a full-time job. It's unbelievable how many foods have added sugar.
It's also amazing how many different words are used to describe "sugar" on labels by the food industry, to intentionally confuse consumers, IMO.

Agave nectar
Barley malt syrup
Beet sugar
Brown rice syrup
Brown sugar
Cane crystals (or, even better, "cane juice crystals")
Cane sugar
Coconut sugar or coconut palm sugar
Corn sweetener
Corn syrup or corn syrup solids
Dehydrated cane juice
Dextrin
Dextrose
Evaporated cane juice
Fructose
Fruit juice concentrate
Glucose
High-fructose corn syrup
Honey
Invert sugar
Lactose
Maltodextrin
Malt syrup
Maltose
Maple syrup
Molasses
Palm sugar
Raw sugar
Rice syrup
Saccharose
Sorghum or sorghum syrup
Sucrose
Syrup
Treacle
Turbinado sugar
Xylose

https://www.verywellfit.com/differen...-sugar-2242526

I was in Trader Joe's one time and asked if any of their cereals didn't have sugar, and out of an entire aisle of breakfast cereals, we found only one.
Manufacturers are required to list very specific ingredients because we as consumers WANT to know exactly what is in our food - now you're saying they use those specifically to fool us? So you don't want to know if it is molasses versus agave nector versus saccharose?

Old 06-24-2019, 06:31 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,237,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Manufacturers are required to list very specific ingredients because we as consumers WANT to know exactly what is in our food - now you're saying they use those specifically to fool us? So you don't want to know if it is molasses versus agave nectar versus saccharose?
I get your point to a certain extent; I certainly want to know if the product is sweetened with aspartame vs. high fructose corn syrup vs. plain old sugar, and definitely want to buy "maple syrup" that's actual maple syrup and not high-fructose corn syrup with flavoring and coloring. It just seems like they've expanded the list to include some confusing terms. Isn't "evaporated cane juice" pretty much the same as sugar? Same for "sucrose". And does anyone really care about the difference between rice syrup and brown rice syrup, or between sugar and "raw sugar"? Should the terms "syrup" or "fruit juice concentrate: be allowed at all since they're so vague?

Old 06-24-2019, 06:33 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,076,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Ok.....So here are my dreaded chloesterol numbers. total 244 HDL 62, LDL 166 and triglycerides 79. This is after 3 mos of diet. It was 40 points higher before diet. I was on statins for 45 days, when I had to come off because of side effects. Blood test where after I already dropped the 40 points. Doctor wants me to try another med, I am on the fence.....some sites I have seen say 190 and above for LDL, you should go on meds?????. I also take very low BP meds 5mg. Not trying to start a meds war......just would like to here what other doctors recommend with numbers like these. Thanks!
Use of meds and therapeutic goals vary based on risk factors: https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/files/docs...s/atglance.pdf

Old 06-24-2019, 11:01 AM

6,873 posts, read 4,341,755 times
Cholesterol is one of the few things I don’t worry about. Studies only show benefits for men with heart conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement