U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 08:38 AM

26,519 posts, read 62,912,197 times

Advertisements

We plan to downsize.

Current House:
3300 s.f. officially but over 5000 in reality.
.97 acres of land.

Anticipated home:
350 s.f. give or take
No land.

Critical features:
Wheels so we can move it wherever we want to go (mostly staying near each of our 5 children who are scattering across the country).

Capable of living completely off grid for at least 2 weeks. (Solar, generator, large sewage tanks and water tank)

Shower I can stand up in with the nozzle over my head (Hard to find).

Substantial load capability so we can have some fun stuff.

Windows that open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 10:13 AM

147 posts, read 42,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision67 View Post
hire louie "the torch"

Only if he torches all that junk plus the house! LOL

Old 06-26-2019, 10:36 AM

21,159 posts, read 11,761,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_lou View Post
A. What size house did you downsize from and to? 4100 sq ft to 2300 sq ft

B. What size yard did you downsize from and to? 2.5 acres to 6.5 acres

C. What features were you looking for in a house when you downsized (i.e. single story, no yard, tub free home, wide doorways, no steps to enter home, close to family, in a retirement community, etc.?) Ranch with walkout basement, 3BR, 2 baths, open front porch and screened back porch with mountain and/or water views. Also needed space to build a large RV garage with room for car restorations.

We are getting it all, but unfortunately it's costing us plenty to build it. However, since we have no kids to leave anything to, we may as well spent it all.
Even if you did have kids, you should still get what you want. It's your money after all. I literally told my mom a couple of days ago to "spend my inheritance" on something. It was actually a very minor thing, just a few dollars but she gets weird sometimes and fusses about spending "unnecessary" money - in reality, she has enough that she should be comfortable the rest of her life. So sometimes, I just have to tell her to go ahead and spend the money. It's more important for her to be comfortable now than to leave money after she's gone.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:38 AM

56,005 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I would consider a condo if it had a garage in between so it is not like an apartment.
I don't have a garage at my condo, but my sister's does. There are many that do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement