U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 11:10 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,598,839 times

Advertisements

Since retirement 5 years ago:

Immediately sold my 4 bedroom home in California. Got rid of a lifetime's accumulations (and I don't miss any of it!)
Moved to West Maui with just two suitcases. Bought a 1 bedroom waterfront Condo. (I can throw a rock in the ocean from my balcony.)
Take a couple of international vacations a year. Have visited around 100 countries in my life.
Found a retirement job that I love and a community that I love. Many new friends and my old friends visit a lot!
Things turned out pretty well for me!

I wish the same good fortune for all of you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 12:34 AM

203 posts, read 31,883 times
Went from 4600 sqft 2 story, 1+ acre & pool no HOA to 4200 sqft 1 story, 1/3 acre & hot tub w/ HOA but no grass - both within 1/2 mile of stores and within 1 mile of a medical center. Still fairly spacious but much easier to maintain.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:28 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,952,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
That sound so wonderful and exactly what I'm looking for. If only I didn't have two dogs . . . but I do so I'll have to wait a bit longer.
Dogs are also limiting our choices.

If I had known then that they would live so long (~15 years), I think I would have said no.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:06 AM

56,038 posts, read 54,552,165 times
Never had to. I bought this small condo when I was 52 knowing that I would be retiring in a few years.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:43 AM

2,907 posts, read 1,586,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Never had to. I bought this small condo when I was 52 knowing that I would be retiring in a few years.
Same here: Bought 850sf apartment in the city at 50yo & took a 15 year mortgage to time out with expected retirement. I hated long commuting to work more than I liked lawns or lots of rooms or cars & that's why I chose this way... I stroll to the supermarket or local restaurants & even Home Depot is a 15 minute walk.

I will probably upsize to something at at some point, even if just as a snowbird, because I do miss a patio & outdoor grilling.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:53 AM

1,641 posts, read 565,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Soooo, do you live where you love regardless of it going against The Advice—possibly for another 30 good years—or do you play it safe by moving to someplace that The Advice says fits you but does not, possibly shortening your remaining good years due to unhappiness?
The bolded part is exactly why I went against The Advice and decided to remain where I am. Stress can literally be a killer. I saw that happen firsthand with my mom.

The Advice (in my case): Move to a part of the country were house prices and taxes are far lower (i.e., easily do-able on my SS-only income with no worries about running out of money before I die) and no snow to deal with in winter; OR move to some kind of condo arrangment which would be somewhat cheaper and zero cost of maintaining grounds etc. And spend the rest of my life bitterly wishing I'd remained here on Long Island (or in a SFH) while trying to convince myself that I'd "done the smart, practical thing." I know myself well enough to be certain that I would end up being an unacceptable degree of miserable. (I've already done enough things in my life that I regret, don't intend to deliberately add any more, LOL)

The Choice: Remain here and figure out the income/expense challenges as I go along, knowing that at least I'm in the only part of the USA that I'd ever want to live, no matter how large or small my income might be.

Do I wish my current house was either larger or a different one entirely? Sure. Will I ever be able to afford to do anything about that, i.e., move or enlarge? Nope. It is what it is and I am going to make the best of it, as much as possible, because there are no "better" alternatives in my view.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 06-20-2019 at 09:18 AM..

Old 06-20-2019, 09:00 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,777 posts, read 54,440,540 times
Our current home is 3,000 SF on a 12,000 sf lot. Much as we like it (after 25 years) we plan to move when we retire, my wife in about a year, me in 2-3.

For our next home we will be looking for:

- a lower cost area within 2 hours of here, so we can pay cash with the equity from this home
- Smaller house, perhaps 2,000 sf but at least 3 bedrooms 2 baths, single level

- Large garage, hopefully 3 car detached with workshop space
- Much larger lot, at least 1/2 acre
- Semi-rural are of medium sized city with major hospital, Costco, Home Depot

Old 06-20-2019, 09:37 AM

5,423 posts, read 2,825,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
The bolded part is exactly why I went against The Advice and decided to remain where I am. Stress can literally be a killer. I saw that happen firsthand with my mom.

The Advice (in my case): Move to a part of the country were house prices and taxes are far lower (i.e., easily do-able on my SS-only income with no worries about running out of money before I die) and no snow to deal with in winter; OR move to some kind of condo arrangment which would be somewhat cheaper and zero cost of maintaining grounds etc. And spend the rest of my life bitterly wishing I'd remained here on Long Island (or in a SFH) while trying to convince myself that I'd "done the smart, practical thing." I know myself well enough to be certain that I would end up being an unacceptable degree of miserable. (I've already done enough things in my life that I regret, don't intend to deliberately add any more, LOL)

The Choice: Remain here and figure out the income/expense challenges as I go along, knowing that at least I'm in the only part of the USA that I'd ever want to live, no matter how large or small my income might be.

Do I wish my current house was either larger or a different one entirely? Sure. Will I ever be able to afford to do anything about that, i.e., move or enlarge? Nope. It is what it is and I am going to make the best of it, as much as possible, because there are no "better" alternatives in my view.
Good mindset. The grass is always greener on the other side.
As Sheryl Crow sang, “It’s not having what you want but wanting what you have.”

Old 06-20-2019, 10:22 AM

4,624 posts, read 4,464,781 times
Great post, Fran66. Lots of good 'dope'. (We used to say that a lot, remember? It wasn't a bad term back then.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
It took me five years to downsize. Here's what I l learned...

3. A lot of the 'stuff' I had accumulated (a lot from my travels all over) were not at all important. Not to me or anyone else. What was important to me were the pictures and the memories.
Been taking pictures for a long time. Got my first SLR in 1975 and turned the second bathroom into a (temporary as needed) darkroom. Took lots of slides too because the colors were just so much more vibrant on Kodachrome 25.

Not long after the dawn of the digital age, the 'handwriting was on the wall'. A major decision needed to be made about the hundreds and probably thousands of slides and negatives in my archive. Which ones to keep and digitize and which ones to toss.

Didn't take very long to realize tha the ones that held the most value to me were the shots with people in them. People I know. All the other awesome pictures, and there were some really good, publishable ones . . . eh. Good artistic shot, but meaningless.

We still have our memories, and a few tokens to remind us of the places we visited and people we met along our own individual path in this life. I'll keep my Zulu spice baskets and Japanese dolls. After I'm gone, I won't care as they are meaningless to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
When I realized that my 'stuff' was the story of my life (all those things told a story) and that I hoped that when I died someone would value it at least somewhat as much as I did -- and that that was NEVER EVER going to happen -- I finally could 'let go' of almost all of it.

For most of us -- we're not famous. We'll be lucky if our great-grandchildren remember us other than by just a name. In another generation we'll be lucky to just be a name in a genealogy chart.

My greatest (narcissistic) regret is that I can't 'will' my memories of my life into the head and heart of one of my grandchildren or great-grandchildren. If I could bequeath anything to them, it would be to have a life as great as my life has been.
Let me throw something out here and make a prediction. My prediction is that someone, someday - hopefully soon, will become incredibly wealthy by implementing the following idea. Your thoughts above are not isolated to yourself. I too have pondered, especially as I research the family genealogy and wonder who these people are. Were they happy? What was their favorite color? What did they enjoy doing in their free time? What were their hopes, dreams, and aspirations? And on and on...

It would be good for future generations that there exist somewhere, probably in cyberspace, where we can leave a record of our story. No limit. Write what we think is important to pass down to our progeny. Not only for the next generations, but for hundreds of generations to come. Text and pictures.

Whoever gets something like that going won't have to worry about his mortgage every month. Hopefully it will be fairly inexpensive for us little people of this world.

p.s. On those pictures that get passed down from generation to generations . . .

Be sure to write something on the back of them. A date, place, and the names of the people in the picture. (I have several boxes of ancestral pictures that were handed down to me, and I haven't a clue who most of the people are and how they are related to me. These pictures are being digitized for distribution to everyone in the family, but there is incomplete information to attach to each photograph.)

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 06-20-2019, 10:29 AM

11,935 posts, read 20,386,478 times
I’m seriously considering patio homes. No basement, no stairs, active living community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement