U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 10:45 AM

2,369 posts, read 7,758,843 times

Advertisements

All of my remaining physical possessions are in a 5' x 5' storage unit in Tucson. In April I sold my car, most furniture and gave away lots of stuff I did not use or need. Here in Germany I have one suitcase of clothes, one knapsack and a bicycle. My current and only residence is a walk-up 3rd floor furnished studio apartment in Leipzig, an Airbnb rental. I don't need a car here - walk, bike, local transit or inter-city trains make getting around without a car very easy. What a difference it makes to have really good transit infrastructure.

I like living in Germany May to September or October, not so much in the winter (I lived here in the 70s when I was in the US Army). First I have to see if the authorities here will approve my "Aufenthaltserlaubnis" which is a long term visa to reside without permission to work. If I can stay here in Germany, I can lease a small apartment (400-500 sq ft) for about $500 USD per month, as my home base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 12:20 PM

1,963 posts, read 2,711,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Let me throw something out here and make a prediction. My prediction is that someone, someday - hopefully soon, will become incredibly wealthy by implementing the following idea. Your thoughts above are not isolated to yourself. I too have pondered, especially as I research the family genealogy and wonder who these people are. Were they happy? What was their favorite color? What did they enjoy doing in their free time? What were their hopes, dreams, and aspirations? And on and on...

It would be good for future generations that there exist somewhere, probably in cyberspace, where we can leave a record of our story. No limit. Write what we think is important to pass down to our progeny. Not only for the next generations, but for hundreds of generations to come. Text and pictures.

Whoever gets something like that going won't have to worry about his mortgage every month. Hopefully it will be fairly inexpensive for us little people of this world.

p.s. On those pictures that get passed down from generation to generations . . .

Be sure to write something on the back of them. A date, place, and the names of the people in the picture. (I have several boxes of ancestral pictures that were handed down to me, and I haven't a clue who most of the people are and how they are related to me. These pictures are being digitized for distribution to everyone in the family, but there is incomplete information to attach to each photograph.)
Great Post, Volosong. A lot of great dope. :-) Our mutual (? LOL) admiration society here. LOL

I have written down my story, completely with pictures. I'm just going to say this -- I hope you have a better family that I do, because, even though I had a good family, they're not going to care. But I did it anyway.

I'm going to interject a little story here. (Hope it doesn't become another boring tome that I am too famous for.) About a year ago, I was at a thrift store in NM. One of the volunteers was going through a box of OLD books at the counter. I don't know what possessed me but, without permission, I stuck my hand in the box and randomly pulled out a diary -- that was begun in 1920 (and ended in 1930, because the 30-year-old husband/father died from pneumonia). I asked if I could purchase it or just have it, and the volunteer said, "Oh just take it. We just throw out diaries and journals."

In the back of the diary there were some 'jottings' and a newspaper clipping (from ages ago). The newspaper clipping was about the diarist's father -- you can imagine how old that clipping was -- but it was just enough for me.

It took me two months (off and on) -- and big thanks to the Alumni Archives at Yale, Harvard and The University of Pennsylvania -- but I tracked down, via Internet, the wife of the diary writer's grandson (great-grandson?). And a week later, I had sent off the diary to her, and it was in her husband's hands. In some really small and very remote town in Texas.

It's a good story -- but my point is this: the adult grandson's mother had recently passed away (father died a long time ago). The relatives came from in state and out of state, descended upon the house, and did exactly what I said in my previous post -- almost everything was dumped, the house was fixed up, and put up for sale. If I hadn't been so bold to just stick my hand in that box at that thrift shop -- the diary would have been gone forever.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:34 PM

Location: Currently in CT but have recently started construction for our retirement home in NH
291 posts, read 231,756 times
A. What size house did you downsize from and to? 4100 sq ft to 2300 sq ft

B. What size yard did you downsize from and to? 2.5 acres to 6.5 acres

C. What features were you looking for in a house when you downsized (i.e. single story, no yard, tub free home, wide doorways, no steps to enter home, close to family, in a retirement community, etc.?) Ranch with walkout basement, 3BR, 2 baths, open front porch and screened back porch with mountain and/or water views. Also needed space to build a large RV garage with room for car restorations.

We are getting it all, but unfortunately it's costing us plenty to build it. However, since we have no kids to leave anything to, we may as well spent it all.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:52 PM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Same here: Bought 850sf apartment in the city at 50yo & took a 15 year mortgage to time out with expected retirement. I hated long commuting to work more than I liked lawns or lots of rooms or cars & that's why I chose this way... I stroll to the supermarket or local restaurants & even Home Depot is a 15 minute walk.

I will probably upsize to something at at some point, even if just as a snowbird, because I do miss a patio & outdoor grilling.
Nice! I worked in the city and did the commute. Rented a house in Bergen County because I couldn't afford to buy and I needed to be in that town because my mother was my after-school care for my kid.

Once she graduated, I bailed to Monmouth County to be near the shore. Longer commute to Jersey City and then Manhattan, but I knew retirement wasn't far away. I bought at a price that I could continue to pay for in retirement, not what the RE finance people pushed for and said I could afford.

I've got 940 s.f., two bedrooms, plus a fenced-in area out back with a patio and garden.

Still work part-time in the city.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:44 PM

9,802 posts, read 5,476,447 times
I HATE moving.....so unless there is a compelling reason (and we know how many of those there can be) to moving when I finally say good bye, I intend to stick it out here on the ranch.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:25 AM

260 posts, read 67,465 times
The COL here has risen because people and good jobs are moving in. We own our house so not affected by that. We have great friends and some family here. I would not move to a cheaper place.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:34 PM

1,028 posts, read 355,987 times
New home, bigger, will need new furniture other than bedroom-set. Keeping the economy going

Old 06-21-2019, 04:58 PM

3,685 posts, read 1,864,831 times
I do wish my husband would consider a condo now. He is a total slave to his yard, it is his pride and joy. He will not allow me to hire someone to cut it. He had a cardiac incident and stents two months ago so his solution was to purchase a $600 Honda self propelled lawn mower. I cannot deal with the yard as I have some health issues (back pain) of my own.

We owned a condo in WA state years ago. I liked it but he hated not having a garage to piddle around and no yard to fuss over.

I cannot imagine staying in this 1850 sqft home if I outlive him. I simply won't be a slave to yard work, stuff, cleaning, cooking in retirement.

Very frustrating for me. I fully expect him to keel over dead while cutting the grass in 100+ temps here in Texas.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:33 PM

1,028 posts, read 355,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I do wish my husband would consider a condo now. He is a total slave to his yard, it is his pride and joy. He will not allow me to hire someone to cut it. He had a cardiac incident and stents two months ago so his solution was to purchase a $600 Honda self propelled lawn mower. I cannot deal with the yard as I have some health issues (back pain) of my own.

We owned a condo in WA state years ago. I liked it but he hated not having a garage to piddle around and no yard to fuss over.

I cannot imagine staying in this 1850 sqft home if I outlive him. I simply won't be a slave to yard work, stuff, cleaning, cooking in retirement.

Very frustrating for me. I fully expect him to keel over dead while cutting the grass in 100+ temps here in Texas.
I hope that does not happen. If it did, you can sell and move to something else if he stays stuck in his ways. Good luck!

Old 06-21-2019, 07:02 PM

215 posts, read 70,183 times
We relocated to the Cities (MSP) from a 2,400 square foot single family home in a smaller town west of here, and we purchased an 1,800 square foot townhome with an attached 2 stall garage. We love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement