U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 10:21 AM

2,369 posts, read 7,757,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Yes, you brought up one of the complications for moving around in retirement: addresses. You have to have a state of residency for tax purposes, and live there at least 180 days in most cases. Moving around a few months here, a few months there, is complicated in terms of maintaining a state address for tax purposes, unless you have one year-round address in one state and just move around but keep that one address for tax purposes, and can document that you lived these for at least 180 days in any given year.

What I've found very annoying with moving around is that some companies "follow you around" with their "return address forwarding" on their business envelopes. What that means is if a letter is forwarded to you at a new address (regardless of whether it's a temporary change or permanent change), the post office will automatically send them your new address, whether you want them to have it or not.

I had a terrible experience with a financial services company back in 1999 when I closed all my accounts and moved the money to a different financial institution. They weren't happy about it, apparently. So, they kept sending me zero balance statements every time I moved (even though the acc'ts were closed in 1999), and I never gave them any new mailing address information. I called and called, was given the run around, was told it was resolved but then wasn't, and finally after I threatened legal action in 2015, they stopped mailing me statements and said they closed the accounts, which was supposed to have happened in 1999. It was really an unbelievable nightmare.

A lot of mail we receive has been transferred to the internet, thankfully, but there are still some USPS mailings we can't escape such as receiving new credit cards, and receiving statements from SSA, for example. I even asked at the SSA office one time if I could just use their website to view my annual SS statement, and they said, "no" it was not possible to opt out of mailings.

SS has to have a physical address at all times for anyone receiving benefits, no PO boxes, according to the rep I talked with at SS recently. So, that becomes another headache when moving around in retirement, unless you have a permanent home address year round. I guess if you move every 6 months, you could change your address each time, but that's a pain as well.

USPS permanent address forwarding changes are good for 12 months. Temporary address forwarding changes are good for 6 months.
I pay $10 per month for a private mail box service in Texas. That is my permanent address for all of my financial companies, pension, taxes, etc. It will work for SS because it is not a "PO box", it is a physical privately owned address. I can be anywhere in the USA or elsewhere in the world, and have access to what incoming mail I might get just from a web login. They can hold my mail for me for months or more, or send me whatever I might want them to send. I would guess hundreds of thousands of expats, RV fulltimers, or multi-dwelling owners use these types of services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 12:16 PM

7,226 posts, read 4,119,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Its right on the California and Arizona Border. I am not sure if it extends both in Arizona and California. You have the Colorado River as well as a lake right near the camping area which is not something you find often in the SW desert. $180 for 7 months according to the link below.

https://www.blm.gov/visit/imperial-d...m-visitor-area
It's on the Cali side. The AZ address is just for the BLM field office.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:58 PM

9,181 posts, read 9,263,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
For USA stays, BLM / 'disbursed' camping on a bicycle and in a tent would be very cheap.

many other options...
1) Friends with farms / ranches in S / SW USA (spare homes in winter, off season to harvest, or RV sites)
2) Summer camps with spare housing off season (you can barter fix-it chores for free room and board)
3) Very cheap RV (trailer, van, Class C can be had for $3000)
4) House boat on a BLM lake / Dam (My mom did this for 5 yrs... $2000 house boat)
5) Workamping for free site (I meet many in National Parks and National Forests doing this)
6) Living under a bridge (very popular option in USA)
7) Amazon Fulfillment center (with campground)
8) RV park 'platinum' membership (buy 2nd hand)

or... we go to southern hemisphere and volunteer in exchange for housing and food.

Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia...quite inexpensive to 'winter'.

Plenty of rural spots in Mexico and Central America. (Away from places USA and Canadians migrate.)
I suppose you could also be a bum or a vagrant and ask everyone who walks by you to put money in your jar too? Huh? You could get some money that way. Or, take out an add on "GoFundMe" and ask people to contribute to your seasonal vacation.

Don't be surprised though if you aren't too popular with the people who live in the area who spend considerable money paying for a home and trying to keep it looking nice (and expect others around them to do the same). Or, people who knock themselves out forty hours a week trying to put some savings away, so that they can one day have a decent retirement.

I remember we used to get a guy who posted on the Utah forum who would ask what we thought of him camping in his tent full time at various campgrounds or wide spots on public land. I told him he ought to stay where he lives and get a real job, so he could earn enough money to one day have a respectable retirement and not sponge off the rest of us. Frankly, we don't need people like that in Utah and I suspect many in other states feel the same way I do.

If you can't afford a decent retirement in a warm place than stay put. Save your money and don't become a blight upon those who live in these places.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:16 PM

7,056 posts, read 1,773,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
It's on the Cali side. The AZ address is just for the BLM field office.
Does that matter?

Old 06-20-2019, 07:16 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,601,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I pay $10 per month for a private mail box service in Texas. That is my permanent address for all of my financial companies, pension, taxes, etc. It will work for SS because it is not a "PO box", it is a physical privately owned address. I can be anywhere in the USA or elsewhere in the world, and have access to what incoming mail I might get just from a web login. They can hold my mail for me for months or more, or send me whatever I might want them to send. I would guess hundreds of thousands of expats, RV fulltimers, or multi-dwelling owners use these types of services.
Thanks, I'll check it out. I'm surprised the IRS hasn't caught on to this, since people aren't actually living in Texas. I realize Texas has no state income tax, but perhaps where they are living part of the year does. In any case, as you mention, lots of people are doing it.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:31 PM

177 posts, read 193,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I had a terrible experience with a financial services company back in 1999 when I closed all my accounts and moved the money to a different financial institution. They weren't happy about it, apparently. So, they kept sending me zero balance statements every time I moved (even though the acc'ts were closed in 1999), and I never gave them any new mailing address information. I called and called, was given the run around, was told it was resolved but then wasn't, and finally after I threatened legal action in 2015, they stopped mailing me statements and said they closed the accounts, which was supposed to have happened in 1999. It was really an unbelievable nightmare.
Something similar is happening to me with an old financial company I did business with. Thought or think account is closed. Only used it for employee stock options. Know the balance is zero. Maybe I didnít close the account and they never send me anything except when I move which I have done 3 times since I quit working. Shortly after arriving at my new location and after dutifully turning in a change of address form I always receive a letter from them saying the post office notified them of a change of address. I could see if I was getting mailings from them but I donít other than these, not even junk mail. I wonder if the USPS has some other service that makes this notification.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:35 PM

177 posts, read 193,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Do you have any direct knowledge of how this works with credit and debit cards? I am most interested as a potential future expat and if there are any rules or laws concerning forwarding the plastic abroad. Thanks

Old 06-20-2019, 07:46 PM

4,719 posts, read 10,307,526 times
I know a few people who do the snowbird thing. They have permanent rv’s in Florida and in Pennsylvania. Between the 2 places it costs them like $1500 for the year! The rvs have porches and roofs covering both. So water issues are pretty much non existent.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:07 PM

1,907 posts, read 957,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
A reverse snowbird! When I lived in Florida I used to dream of escaping for the summer. Now we are looking at inexpensive mobile homes in Arizona to spend winters in.

We call ourselves "Sunbirds". We have a stick-and-brick in Florida and run north to the mountains in the summer for 4-5 months. We have a camper for the summers.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:48 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,601,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
Something similar is happening to me with an old financial company I did business with. Thought or think account is closed. Only used it for employee stock options. Know the balance is zero. Maybe I didn’t close the account and they never send me anything except when I move which I have done 3 times since I quit working. Shortly after arriving at my new location and after dutifully turning in a change of address form I always receive a letter from them saying the post office notified them of a change of address. I could see if I was getting mailings from them but I don’t other than these, not even junk mail. I wonder if the USPS has some other service that makes this notification.
Yes, the post office has that service for businesses who print on their envelopes in the return address section on the upper left, "return address service requested" or something to that effect. What that means is that any information on the yellow label affixed to a letter (a forwarding sticker) gets communicated back to the company who sent it, whether you want them to have your new address or not. There is no way to opt out. It's one way the PO makes $$ (charging companies for that service).

I had the exact same thing with that finance company that hassled me for 15 years; they kept sending letters each time I moved: "The PO notified them of an address change." It took years and threats to get a lawyer to make it stop.

One thing to check on with your financial company is whether your accounts were "inactivated" or "closed." I learned that there is a huge difference.

Financial companies want to keep your info in their databases as "inactive" even with zero balances, "in case you change your mind." I kept calling and telling the company in my case that I was never going to change my mind, and I wanted to close my account. It took years, literally. That's the reason they keep sending the statement information with zero balances, the accounts aren't closed, they're inactive. It's a huge headache, and reps kept telling me each time I got a letter with the change of address notice, that my accounts were closed, when they weren't. They were only inactive. After I threatened legal action, the accounts were closed and I haven't heard from them in 4 years.

Some of these financial companies are worse than telecoms for customer service.......if that's possible.

It's awful, quite honestly, and should be illegal.

I had another situation, not with the address or post office, but talking about telecoms.......I had an old ipad that I wanted to remove from my cellular account. Guess what? I couldn't do it at the store. They told me I had to call the "retention team" 800#, the only way to remove a device from an account. Can't be done online or in person. How's that for customer service! So, I called, and the person asked me a bunch of questions (way too many), and I kept saying the same thing over and over: "It's an old device. I want it removed."

So, this guy removes it and sends an email confirming the transaction, listing the phone # for the ipad. (Ipads have a cell# when they have cellular service.) I thought this sorry saga was over.

But I was very wrong. I happened to go into my online account a few days before the end of the billing cycle and took a look to be sure the device was coming off at the end of the billing cycle. The account said: the following device and cell# will be disconnected on (billing cycle end date) per your request. It wasn't the ipad. It was the CELL PHONE and cell phone #.

I was livid, needless to say. They were going to disconnect my phone! So, I called the "retention team" once again and the woman had the nerve to say, "Oops, sorry. If the phone had been disconnected, you could have called us, and we would have reinstated the number." I said, "With what phone????? It would have been disconnected!!!" Really unbelievable. I gave her an earful and said that not only was it confirmed initially by the "retention team," but I got an email with the ipad # confirming the disconnection. Her only response was: "Our systems don't always talk to each other." What a load of crapola.

Based on all of these experiences with the financial company and telecoms, I would advise double and triple checking everything, every transaction that involves stopping a service or closing an account. Assume they will screw up and assume they will insist everything has been done correctly, when it hasn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement