U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 07:21 AM

6,223 posts, read 4,718,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
I remember sometime back someone in here said that Wyoming is the place to set up residency. You don't actually have to live there at all to register cars and stuff. You don't even have to return to renew. I forget. I hope someone here will speak up.
South Dakota is one of the most popular States for full time travels to establish residence. There is no State income tax and South Dakota makes it easy for a few hundred thousand RVers to establish residency. When I did it, I first setup a mailing service. My address was that of the mailing service and included a box number. When asked I would insert that instead of an apartment number.

Establishing residency was easy. I needed to show either a campground or motel receipt to verify that I had spent at least one night in the State. I also had a bank statement showing my new address. It only took an hour or so to walk away with a new drivers licence and licence plates for the truck and RV. I also made a stop and changed my auto and RV insurance. Later I found there is a form that can be used for change of address for the Federal government for income taxes, Medicare, and Social Security. That form is actually not necessary and I doubt many people even know about it. I toured the South Dakota and then left the State and have never returned. My mailing service handled my registration renewals and mailed me license plate sticker every year.

My auto insurance and medicare supplement rates dropped when I set up SD residency. I had no issues and the State works with its traveling residents. I had my driver's license stolen in Oregon. The SD DMV immediately emailed me a temporary license which I had printed at a UPS store. A few days later I picked up my new card through general delivery at a local Post Office. A few years later, I bought a house in NY and with regrets had to terminate my SD residency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 10:07 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,843,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
South Dakota is one of the most popular States for full time travels to establish residence. There is no State income tax and South Dakota makes it easy for a few hundred thousand RVers to establish residency. When I did it, I first setup a mailing service. My address was that of the mailing service and included a box number. When asked I would insert that instead of an apartment number.

Establishing residency was easy. I needed to show either a campground or motel receipt to verify that I had spent at least one night in the State. I also had a bank statement showing my new address. It only took an hour or so to walk away with a new drivers licence and licence plates for the truck and RV. I also made a stop and changed my auto and RV insurance. Later I found there is a form that can be used for change of address for the Federal government for income taxes, Medicare, and Social Security. That form is actually not necessary and I doubt many people even know about it. I toured the South Dakota and then left the State and have never returned. My mailing service handled my registration renewals and mailed me license plate sticker every year.

My auto insurance and medicare supplement rates dropped when I set up SD residency. I had no issues and the State works with its traveling residents. I had my driver's license stolen in Oregon. The SD DMV immediately emailed me a temporary license which I had printed at a UPS store. A few days later I picked up my new card through general delivery at a local Post Office. A few years later, I bought a house in NY and with regrets had to terminate my SD residency.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement