U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2019, 04:45 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,049,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Assisted Living dwellings which have apartments and also nursing care units (or a nursing home which is different from Assisted Living) can eat up and destroy an inheritance and stockpile of money in a BIG way.
Hopefully i can live independently for many years.

I just don't want to burden them if i am immobile or require 24/7 care.

I used to think a nursing or veterans home was okay, but now - not so much

So have to work on that. Make sure i have to funds to stay at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 04:58 PM

3,427 posts, read 1,524,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Sounds like a great idea - step-saving and space saving. You often see one machine in the kitchen in foreign movies. I knew it was a clothes washer, but could never figure out the dryer part. Never knew until today the machine did both. Clearly, I need to get out more. They are not unknown in the US.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/washers...at245000050019
The dryer part is Europeans line-dry. Just like you see in the movies. Lines outside the apt. window.

I have a hard time with obese, poor people getting manicures. But many do.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:08 PM

642 posts, read 174,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I liked the laundry suggestion but that's really dependent on space and finances. (Nik- what is the name of the machine?)
Machine takes less room actually- 1/2 the space of American machines as it is only one.
Below are example of washer dryer in one.
You use as you would dishwasher: often, easier to gather similar items in smaller quantities.
As washers are pricy appliances it makes sense if you are using it often and not once a week while rummaging and sorting before and after...
Once you get a hang of it and check your laundry/experiment the best way for you. Mine usually done in half the time...and I use it on low temp drying only! And I wash in cold water only. The machine does not need a hot water hook up- it can heat water, but you can use your hot water connection.
Another benefit - it does not exhaust air out of the house- so no depressurization happens and keeps conditioned or heated air inside the building envelope.
Very gentle on clothes. My blacks don’t need to be replaced ..

You can order locally- I loved German manufacturers, but here was only able to buy LG many years ago ( I guess due to being non- metric Euro manufacturers are not interested in us?
Now they have Samsung selling them here and a Whirlpool started offering them...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-4-3-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

This one is smaller volume and takes even less space
https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Elect..._BwE&gclsrc=aw

Old 06-23-2019, 05:19 PM

23,560 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Do you really get on Facebook to tell everyone you're going to Walmart? This is so foreign to me.
There is a "check-in" feature on Facebook's iPhone app. I only use it publicly when tagging a brewery/venue, etc. It's sort of an endorsement. When I do a "friends only" tag, I use that as metadata to see where I've been the last few years. I can dump all that out from Facebook into a CSV and sort by location and frequency of places visited. Nerdy, I know.

I posted a picture of my iPad on C-D, the BT keyboard, and a beer at a local brewery publicly this evening. 15 likes so far, including from the brewery, owner, his wife, and some frequent patrons. I like them, and it's free advertising for those guys.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I am 62. I swam laps for 40 minutes this morning. I met a group and hiked for an hour at Ijams Nature Center this afternoon. I go to exercise classes most days of the week at the Y and most of the people there during the day are retirees who are older than me....active and working hard to stay that way. I am sad for your mom. She has gotten herself into a place where she can't enjoy life the way she should be able to. However, it is not your responsibility to make up for her mistakes. You are not responsible for your parents, physically or financially. If they won't do the things they need to do to help themselves, you have no obligation to make up for that. Live your life. That is what I would tell my daughter.
Awesome! But...
You are not 275 lb!
Once you put on weight- it is very depressing for her and makes her tired.Not easy to motivate yourself when you are depressed?

Not excusing the mother, and the son definitely need to cut down gradually on enabling her..

Dear OP, mothers can use their children sometimes. It seems that you are being used.
Try to back off- for example, say that you are going on a business trip for 3 weeks( turn off all your locations in settings on your phone and social media)
See how it would go...

Old 06-23-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
The dryer part is Europeans line-dry. Just like you see in the movies. Lines outside the apt. window.
:
No,
The machine has a condensing dryer: you put your laundry in, the machine washes it and then start drying it in the same machine
You take out your laundry already dry!

Old 06-23-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Awesome! But...
You are not 275 lb!
Once you put on weight- it is very depressing for her and makes her tired.Not easy to motivate yourself when you are depressed?

Not excusing the mother, and the son definitely need to cut down gradually on enabling her..

Dear OP, mothers can use their children sometimes. It seems that you are being used.
Try to back off- for example, say that you are going on a business trip for 3 weeks( turn off all your locations in settings on your phone and social media)
See how it would go...
She knows what I do for a living. Everyone knows where they can find me at basically all hours. You can find my Jeep on the back row of the office park on fair weather days. Otherwise, I park closer. I park in a gated lot at the apartment, but the Jeep is visible from outside the gate. I'm at Studio Brew on Sunday evenings. I'm at a marina on Friday evenings.

You could drive to a certain place at a certain time and most likely find me. Cutting her off won't work.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:08 PM

13,040 posts, read 15,385,717 times
If she is in poor health, I think she SHOULD retire at 62 and maybe enjoy a couple of years of retirement. If she has a desk job, that isn't healthy, either. Maybe she WILL be more active at home once she doesn't have to go to work.

Social Security plus $1000 a month isn't that bad. I mean, it could be better but there are people worse off and if all they have is the mortgage and car loan, they really aren't in too bad shape.

Last edited by luzianne; 06-23-2019 at 06:52 PM..

Old 06-23-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
If she is in poor health, I think she SHOULD retire at 62 and maybe enjoy a couple of years of retirement. If she has a desk job, that isn't healthy, either. Maybe she WILL be more active at home once she doesn't have to go to work.

Social Security plus $1000 a month isn't that bad. I mean, it could be better but there are people worse off and if all they have is the mortgage and car loan, they really aren't in too bad shape.
Of course it could be better. It could be worse, I guess. This is a long, consistent track of doing nothing for many years. It's just a culmination of that.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:25 PM

1,243 posts, read 587,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Hopefully i can live independently for many years.

I just don't want to burden them if i am immobile or require 24/7 care.

I used to think a nursing or veterans home was okay, but now - not so much

So have to work on that. Make sure i have to funds to stay at home.
If the OP's parents were in their 80's I could see that they might need to rely on family for some assistance. People in their early 60's is such a different situation. That is young....or at least it should be. Some people have made themselves old before their times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or